Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet thoughts and recomendations please

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 PM
SIU 96
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Myself for winter ridding I prefer a full face. I have a Shoei RF 1100. Super quiet with the vents closed and lots of air with them open, very comfortable.
All the other helmets I wore a 2x, in the Shoei I wear a XL.

The only draw back I have with this helmet is because it is so quiet its design will amplify loud pipes to a defining level. Stock pipes for me in the winter.

There are lots of places that sell helmets on line with reviews, but you really need to try them on.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:54 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i like my harley ultra jet. it's a 3/4 and vents well. it also comes with a visor and a clear face shield. i only use the visor. you can go to any harley shop and try one on, and then order that size from zanottis or chicago harley. i have 6 or 7 helmets, but the ultra jet, for me is the most comfortable and is great quality. it wasn't too pricey either.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts
Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned many helmets, but none better than Shoei. I have two , RJ Platinum, 3/4 helmet, very quiet, quality everywhere, good vents. The other is the ST Cruz half helmet. Doesn't cover the ears so no noise reduction, but good quality and great on a hot day. Check Helmet City, about the best prices I could find.

Good Luck.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty much what everyone else said, especially the Shoei recommendations. Cold weather/long trips I much prefer my RF1000. It's not as stylish or freedom-inspiring but it is far more pleasant of an experience.

Around town, for short trips, I wear a bell drifter half helmet with some form of eye protection. Buffeting behind the windshield is objectionable without goggles or something over my glasses.

Definitely try a helmet on first before purchase, as mentioned the sizes aren't very consistent from one manufacturer to another.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:52 PM
OlDusty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info guys thank you all so much. I realy like everything i've read about the Shoei.s. So I just need to find a local dealer that hass some to try on, and of coarse if their price is at least close to on line I will buy localy. Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:04 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hate'em all! Am forced to wear one by the commies that run the state where I live!

Old 09-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Sargergp
Cruiser
Default my two cents

Lots of great ideas and posts here. One thing I don't recall seeing anyone mention is that one big thing to consider for your decision is what type of bike you'll be riding and fairing/shield you will have in front of you. Riding an ultra with a chin to nose high shield in my opinion doesn't require as much facial coverage on the helmet as a bike with just a shield. I've ridden both with various helmets. If your going to be riding in cold or rainy weather very much you obviously want full face, versus 3/4 or half helmet being plenty for fair weather. Like you I have a large head and I've found the most comfortable for me to be the Fulmer 665 open face for cold or rainy conditions and a half helmet for daily commuting. I recently noticed a new model on their website, the 9b that has a built-in retractable sun visor that I may have to try for my next replacement.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Rookie Carroca
Intermediate

I also like the Harley Ultra Jet (made by HJC) 3/4. Fits me well, and cuts down on some of the wind noise but still gets wind in my face. I am also looking for a 1/2 helmet that I like; I have the Shoei St Cruz which I don't like at all. Think I'm going for the Scorpion EXO 100 next. I also have a Shoei FF, which I do like when it gets colder, but the 3/4 is my favorite - feels safer than the 1/2, and more fun than the FF. Super comfortable too.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 PM
OneOhFifthRKC
Advanced
Default Helmet Recommendation

I too spent many years between riding street bikes.

I loved Bell helmets 20 yrs ago.

They were crap in the 90's and maybe even later.

But I bought a Bell Star in 2008. I like it better than my brothers Shoei.

I am once again in love with a Bell helmet.

It has great ventilation.

But, the bottom line is how it fits on your mellon. Try them on over and over again. I found a big indi dealer that would let me wear the helmet for 30 min. inside the store. If you don't develop hot spots after 30 min. it is probably a good fit for you.

Quick Reply: Helmet thoughts and recomendations please