Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike stalled while going 80mph on the freeway. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:01 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

them new bikes have a sesnsor in them that tell on you if you speed,and shut them down.. well they will soon anyway

Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Technologist
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel prob (most likely)... Drain, flush, refill.

AND why all the panic (unless OP NEEDED go fast at the point of failure)... everything else on bike still works. Pull over, stop, and troubleshoot.

Man, hate to see the whining if (when) you all experience a blowout... or animal encounter. What will you blame the bike for when that happens???

EDITED to add.... Not meaning to be harsh, and just realized it could be anything (newer bike, with all the fancy computer crap and fuel injection). Which is why I will never let go of my carbed bike...

Old 09-19-2010, 05:15 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Technologist

AND why all the panic (unless OP NEEDED go fast at the point of failure)... everything else on bike still works. Pull over, stop, and troubleshoot.

Man, hate to see the whining if (when) you all experience a blowout... or animal encounter. What will you blame the bike for when that happens???

EDITED to add.... Not meaning to be harsh, and just realized it could be anything (newer bike, with all the fancy computer crap and fuel injection). Which is why I will never let go of my carbed bike...
Technology is a wonderful thing. What used to be a simple problem (trash in the fuel/fuel filter) is now a computer issue.

to the OP-you know never to fill up at a station while the tanker truck is there, right?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:31 AM
ccov88
Stage IV

Read about this problem and also had same with my 07. Turned out to be the quick fuel connection under the tank. Tried changing just the fuel line from tank to intake because that was the easiest. Was better but still had the problem. Had to also change the fitting on the tank, which is a bitch. Have to get to it from inside the tank. BTW dealer was no help at all. They said it was just bad gas I was getting. If it happens try pushing up on the fitting that worked for me.

Last edited by ccov88; 09-19-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Chips
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sharknose
you know never to fill up at a station while the tanker truck is there, right?
why is that?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:44 AM
ASQTec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chips
why is that?
Back in the old days, we used to worry about all of the crap that got stirred up when the underground storage tanks were being refilled, like water, dirt, rust, fish poop, etc. Nowadays, they have filters and other goodies to protect us consumers.

Horror stories about contaminated fuel are rare now, but I'm sure someone has two buddies who have experienced bad gas.

I still wait until the tanker truck is long gone. I also never fill my vehicles with the engine running. Guess old habits die hard.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Jerm21
Tourer

I had a similar thing happen to me... I was on an on ramp with little to no shoulder, but that's a whole different story.

Everything else was the exact same as you. Just like no gas, everything else worked, and it would crank but would not start.

It turned out to be the fuse for the ECM.

- Jerm

Old 09-19-2010, 06:54 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fuel pump fuse. But you prob already checked that. Is it getting spark. Is it getting fuel. Thats what I would check first.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:59 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be between the batery and the ecm

Old 09-19-2010, 07:14 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Technologist

The irony of your username and edit response cracks me up.

Of course I never had a carbed bike leave me stranded because it was broken beyond roadside tools or parts available, nope never happens.

OP.......chime back in when you get the answer. Would be nice to know if it is a traditional lack of fuel issue or a computer/connection/code issue that others might consider adding some extra prevent maint items for to their service checklist.

I know when I service our scoots next I am going to take apart some critical connectors (ECM), clean and grease.

Quick Reply: Bike stalled while going 80mph on the freeway. Any ideas?