Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide which bike to get (Help Me)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:47 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Default Can't decide which bike to get (Help Me)

I am now looking to trade my 2000 FX springer in on a new 2011 model.Now the problem is which one.I have tried the SG and really liked it,nimble,comfy,and good looking.Then we tried the Ultra rode nice on the highway ,but slower speeds really tall feeling,and kind of top heavy but rides nice,but the passenger floorboards got in the way quick,lol.I like the look of both bikes the Ultra is huge,and I like the tour pak.I would love the seat or the bike to be a little bit lower to feel more comfortable,but the SG is a more versatile feeling bike,if you know what I mean.I normally ride with my better half about 90% of the time,and I am not a small man either.I go about 6' 260,"all muscle",lol. She is about 5' 3 and her legs hit both bags and the bag support bar.I just don't know what to do.I like both and both have their good points,and bad points.I don't think we will be taking a 5 state trip anytime soon,but would love the comfort to be able to ride all day without one thing becoming sore.Our usual fun days are getting up early eating,and riding the Blue Ridge Parkway for a few hours,then some highway,and back road riding the rest of the day.I would just love to know what everyone thinks.Also I love the RK,but I really want the radio,sorry.One thing aside from all this is which model seems to hold their value more?

Old 09-18-2010, 02:39 AM
Hilowaiian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SG is the way to go. Im 6'2, two-sixty also, ol' lady 5'4 and rides with me. Replace the bag guards with Comfort Profile Rear Saddlebag Guard Kit, 49179-09. She will love it. Personally I like my ride lower and the SG all that an Ultra has but cleaner lines. One draw back is the passenger seat isn't for long rides so I got her a butty buddy. Good luck to ya

Old 09-18-2010, 04:19 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You seem to talk alot about comfort in your post. The SG will not ride as soft as the Ultra because of the 1" shorter shocks, you will need to replace them. Just went back to a RK from the SG and you can always add the radio. Take a look at the new HD catalog for options. Good luck on your choice.

P.S. Did I mention the RK is the smoothest riding touring bike in the HD lineup.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:27 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

If you ride with your better half 90% of the time would recommend the Ultra .. I understand what you are saying about a little top heavy and the passenger pegs hitting your calves when slowing or stopped .. This can be overcome with a few Mods and changing your riding style a little .. Final Choice is yours regardless ..

Old 09-18-2010, 04:45 AM
ErikElvis
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

You cant go wrong with any of the tourers as far as Im concerned. But I want all my packs to come with it when I buy it. Less of a hassle. and I think its worth the nominal price of the limited over the ultra classic when you factor in what you get.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:49 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

IMO you can't go wrong either way. Will be waiting to hear your final decision. Don't forget to ask your other half for input!

Old 09-18-2010, 04:54 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

try the roadglide custom has rear foot pegs not boards doesnt come with rear saddle bag guards. and rides very nice even if it does have the shorter shocks.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:53 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were going to ride 2-up it would definitely be an Ultra. There are small mods to make it fit better. I am however a nostalgic look guy and since we both ride our own scoots it is Road Kings for us.

Good Luck! It is a good problem to have trying to decide and have to agree......get "her" opinion.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

metfancowboy; Street Glide All the Way!!! (OK, I'm bias)

smokindave; I see you pulled the trigger on the RKC - sweet & congrats!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:24 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try the roadglide too. Then decide.

Quick Reply: Can't decide which bike to get (Help Me)