Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide which bike to get (Help Me)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:38 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Take your gal for a ride on each one, at least an hour or so. I rented HD's for a day, took my wife and that is how I was able to decide.

Good luck, great choice to have!

Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Ultra or Ultra Limited. For a few hundred bucks you can make the tour pack detachable for when you're riding solo. Street Glides are nice looking bikes, but Ultras are built for touring in comfort.

FWIW, my wife is 5'2" and has no problems with the bags or guards. It just takes some getting used to.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:22 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

Since your 2 up and looking for comfort, go with the Ultra. Move the driver floorboards out and forward. Lower it 1" if you want, but I think you'll get used to the feel with just a few rides.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have to recommend the Ultra for the type of riding and comfort you're looking for. I know they feel a bit top heavy to begin with, but you'll adapt to that and never look back.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:00 AM
jcain
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the Road Glide Ultra. Of course most folks are in love 'em or hate 'em mindset when it comes to the shark nose fairing.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Well I thought I had made my mind up,asked my dealer about finding the orange SG,but no luck.No dealer has one that will trade,so now my journey continues.I do love the EG once it gets going,but slow speeds or a quick ride through town,I hate to say this,so people don't flame me,but I'am a little scared of this bike.The height,top weight,and slow manuevering really scares the crap out of me.Is the fact that the dealer can't get the bike,I thought I wanted a sign that I should keep looking?I'am really having a tough time deciding.Like some have said it is great problem to have,but I don't want to get the wrong thing,and regret my decision.I have never had a new bike in my life,so I want to keep this bike for a while,so I don't want to screw this up.Anymore advice,I would love to hear it.Thanks.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 PM
rdoucet
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can turn an ultra into a street glide for less money than trying to turn a street glide into an ultra. I bought a 2010 ultra this past month and had same concerns you have. Here is what I did.....

1. Removed ultra shocks and put street glide shocks on
2. Moved the driver floorboards out 1" and forward 1"
3. I bought the tall boy seat; moved me back about 2" away from the handlebars - drastic improvement
4. Removed stock saddlebag crash bars from around saddlebags and went with hidden saddlebag support. Wife now can sit on back without hitting legs on previous setup.

Just doing these four things made a huge improvement; bike does not seem top heavy anymore and I am not sitting on the bars. Also, the stock seat pushed me forward to much - not bad for 20 min ride but go out for the day and very uncomfortable. I am 5'10"

Good luck - can't go wrong with either bike!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Bump for more opinions

Old 09-19-2010, 08:03 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 248 Likes on 151 Posts

I'd go with the Ultra Limited or the Road Glide Ultra, both have the 103, ABS & security. The RGU doesn't have the bag guards & is only $300 more than an Ultra with a 96 & ABS & $1200 less than a Limited. If you're set on the sedona orange you better wait for a SG or RGC.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:14 PM
N2RACIN
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 08 RG that was a great bike I liked everything about it. Problem is my buddy wanted too ride it one day so my wife and I took his Ultra. Five minutes from the house the wife said I want this bike a week later I had my new Ultra it's that nice.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Can't decide which bike to get (Help Me)