Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120R update and answers

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by strokerjlk

someone else stated that dynojet dyno's shut down at 148 mph.
they dont shut down at any speed. you can set them to alarm when you exceed the tires speed rating.
That was me that made that statement. I was relaying a piece of information that the tuner told me last time I was getting tuned fro a cam change. I had also changed my gearing using a 30 tooth trans pulley and was curious why the run stopped at a lower RPM than the run that was made the previous year with stock gearing. The dyno operator explained that the dyno shuts the sampling down at 148mph. Now that I think about it he may have said 158mph. I wasn't aware that could be manipulated by the dyno operator. Sorry if I made a blanket statement.

Zach

Old 09-21-2010, 10:13 AM
kerrycorcoran
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
:icon _clapclap::icon_clap clap:

Old 09-21-2010, 02:59 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by inverse121
I don't want to debate it.
But I would like you to explain the scaling.

I may have mislabled in my post as you refer to graph one as auto scaling and graph 2 as forced scaling.

The first graph you post makes it appear that the torque curve peaks at 5000 rpm and the second graph shows the torque peaking at 3500. This is confusing. And I understand it has something to do with the scaling, I suspect it has to do with the graphing package embedded in the dyno software.

You state above that the curves do not have to cross at 5252. Does that mean depending on which scaling you choose, the torque will peak at different rpms?

Since you are a tuner, please explain to me why on first graph the torque peaks at one rpm and on second graph torque peaks at another rpm.

Thank you very much for your help on this subject.

ok I dont have much time so I am going to give you a little info .
then let you think a little to figure it out. I think you have it half way figured out already.
this is what Ron Dickey at Axtell does to me when I ask him a question.LOL. seems to stay with you longer that way.
all the comments about 5250 and how hp/tq is arrived at is correct if the dynojet dyno measured it that way. but......
First it is important to have an understanding of how DynoJet gets their horsepower numbers. Power in mechanical terms is the ability to accomplish a specified amount of work in a given amount of time. By definition, one horsepower is equal to applying a 550 pound force through a distance of 1 foot in one second. In real terms, it would take 1 HP to raise a 550 pound weight up 1 foot in 1 second. So to measure horsepower, we need to know force (in pounds) and velocity (in feet per second). Dynojet's inertial dynamometer measures power according to the terms just described. It measures velocity directly by measuring the time it takes to rotate A heavy steel drum one turn. It measures force at the surface of the drum by indirectly measuring it's acceleration. Acceleration is simply the difference in velocity at the surface of the drum from one revolution to the next. The force applied to the drum is calculated from acceleration using Newton's 2nd law, Force = Mass * Acceleration. Since the mass of the drums is know and acceleration has been measured, Power (horsepower) can now be calculated. Torque is then calculated using the horsepower number: Torque = Horsepower * 5252 / RPM.

Now go back and look at those dyno sheets FHXS124 posted. notice the diff in hp/tq. when looking at the sheet that is in mph (speed) and the one in rpm's (engine speed) this should ring it home that dynojet uses acceleration to do it's hp/tq cal's.
I am not saying that we shouldnt auto scale. I was just saying that all dyno sheets dont cross at 5250 then someone said they did and they had never seen one that didnt,I just showed that they dont always. some dyno's dont have the ability to auto scale.

another note SE 6 Speed overdrive is not stock in 07 up bikes. 06 dyna is sorta a bastard child with it's one year run tranny. all 07 up cruise drive trannys are 1:1 final ratio...again ....the diff in gearing is in the primary.
sorry springer 3 if that makes your head spin (i guess that's what you meant when you posted the spining heads). I was wrong on your bike from the looks of the pic it is a 09. so the final gearing is 2.96 or 2.92 with the bigger rear sprocket vs 07/08 models

Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Torque is then calculated using the horsepower number: Torque = Horsepower * 5252 / RPM.

I was just saying that all dyno sheets dont cross at 5250 then someone said they did and they had never seen one that didnt, I just showed that they dont always. some dyno's dont have the ability to auto scale.
Torque = Horsepower * 5252 / RPM.

If you know your math then you will see from that equation that:

RPM = Horsepower / Torque * 5252.

So when Horsepower and Torque are the same, RPM = 5252. QED. It's a fact of life!

You can show us as many graphs as you like that suggest otherwise, but they ain't showing true data.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
Torque = Horsepower * 5252 / RPM.

If you know your math then you will see from that equation that:

RPM = Horsepower / Torque * 5252.

So when Horsepower and Torque are the same, RPM = 5252. QED. It's a fact of life!

You can show us as many graphs as you like that suggest otherwise, but they ain't showing true data.
look I never doubted the math.
you said
They do! It's basic arithmetic and applies to all engines. As has been pointed out the value is 5252rpm, which is a simple conversion factor or constant. Nothing, including a mouse, can move it!
someone else said they always cross at 5250 and he has never seen one that didnt.
I just pointed out ,and showed you that not all dyno sheets auto scale.you said not even a mouse could move it. I showed you otherwise. not all dyno's auto scale. so they dont all cross at 5250 automatically.
it is still true data just that the scaling hasn't been done for you.
it is very useful info when tuning . that's a fact of life.at least tuning life. LOL

Old 09-21-2010, 06:15 PM
inverse121
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep, I understand of that explanation.
Now I understand the graph!
It took me looking at it over and over again.
I have labeled the curves.
Maybe this will help others.

the diff in gearing is in the primary.
Late model bikes are 34/46 or 1.35, early model bikes are 25/36 or 1.44
That provides about a 6.5% reduction.
There must be a change in the secondary gearing, too.

Last edited by inverse121; 09-21-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Labeled Curve and Scanned it
Old 09-23-2010, 03:18 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As strokerjlk has pointed out a graph does not have to cross at 5252.
The reason being the scaling on either side is simply different.
What is a fact is that no matter HOW you scale a graph, by definition ( math) Hp equals torque at 5252! They will always be the same(value on the Y axis), at that RPM. If they are not equal at 5252 then the calculation is wrong.
Scaling differences ( if two separate axis are possible) means they do not need to "cross" on a GIVEN graph, nor would you expect them to cross there if they are graphed on different scaling break points!

Many normal Hp and Torque graphs only have one "Y" axis so they will again ( given the math) always cross at 5252 when scaled the same or using the same axis.

And if you look at the “forced” scaling(the modified graph) where it is a different Y axis for hp and torque, you can still see that at 5252 the values of both are the same!

Last edited by FBRR; 09-23-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:59 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FBRR
As strokerjlk has pointed out a graph does not have to cross at 5252.
The reason being the scaling on either side is simply different.
What is a fact is that no matter HOW you scale a graph, by definition ( math) Hp equals torque at 5252! They will always be the same(value on the Y axis), at that RPM. If they are not equal at 5252 then the calculation is wrong.
Scaling differences ( if two separate axis are possible) means they do not need to "cross" on a GIVEN graph, nor would you expect them to cross there if they are graphed on different scaling break points!

Many normal Hp and Torque graphs only have one "Y" axis so they will again ( given the math) always cross at 5252 when scaled the same or using the same axis.

And if you look at the “forced” scaling(the modified graph) where it is a different Y axis for hp and torque, you can still see that at 5252 the values of both are the same!
thanks FBRR
I knew you could explain it better then me.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 237 Posts

Jim you explained it just fine. Here is a couple of pics with the cursor turned on also.

Attached Thumbnails 120R update and answers-unforced-scaling.jpg   120R update and answers-forced-scaling.jpg  
Old 09-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Dick1964
Cruiser

Quick Reply: 120R update and answers