Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120R update and answers

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:11 AM
inverse121
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by strokerjlk
#1 look at previous post and you will see one that doesn't cross as you say.
Now that is a robust graphing package that obviously handles scaling appropriately...

strokerjlk, how do you interpret the fact that on your manually scaled graph the bike makes peak torque around 5000 rpm and on the automatically scaled graph the bike makes peak torque around 3500 rpm?

Old 09-21-2010, 06:16 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not going to agree that the 5 speed in my softail has the same final gear ratio as the 6 speed in my FLHX if that is what you are saying.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:22 AM
strokerjlk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
strokerjlk, well done! The first graph is plainly false, the second one shows the correct cross-over.

Here's a dyno graph for a Honda VFR, revving to over 12,000rpm, but with the same cross-over point at 5252 rpm.
how do you figure it is false?
it called auto scaling or forced scaling.
you really want to debate this?
kinda like going to the hospital and getting a x-ray, then arguing the x-ray's results with the technician.
you own a dyno? ever run one?
one of the reasons I haven't hung out on this forum much......a lot of misinformation given (parroting) out, then a couple others agree and someone thinks it's correct. I came over here to look at the 120 dyno sheets because I will most likely buy one. I also may be tuning one shortly and wanted to see what other tuners were getting out of them.
but I can debate the working of a dynojet dyno ,and 6 sp's if you like!
just because a persons post count is low .....dont dismiss there knowledge!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:26 AM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by springer 03
I am not going to agree that the 5 speed in my softail has the same final gear ratio as the 6 speed in my FLHX if that is what you are saying.
the tranny has the same final output 1:1 ratio.
the final gearing of the bike is not the same. your softail is 3:15 final ratio.
your 6 sp is 2:72. the diff results of your final gearing is the diff in the primary gearing. the tranny's are still the same final 1:1

Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the final gearing of the bike is not the same. your softail is 3:15 final ratio.
your 6 sp is 2:72. the diff results of your final gearing is the diff in the primary gearing. the tranny's are still the same final 1:1

Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 AM
inverse121
Tourer

Originally Posted by inverse121
strokerjlk, how do you interpret the fact that on your manually scaled graph the bike makes peak torque around 5000 rpm and on the automatically scaled graph the bike makes peak torque around 3500 rpm?
you really want to debate this?
I don't want to debate it.
But I would like you to explain the scaling.

I may have mislabled in my post as you refer to graph one as auto scaling and graph 2 as forced scaling.

The first graph you post makes it appear that the torque curve peaks at 5000 rpm and the second graph shows the torque peaking at 3500. This is confusing. And I understand it has something to do with the scaling, I suspect it has to do with the graphing package embedded in the dyno software.

You state above that the curves do not have to cross at 5252. Does that mean depending on which scaling you choose, the torque will peak at different rpms?

Since you are a tuner, please explain to me why on first graph the torque peaks at one rpm and on second graph torque peaks at another rpm.

Thank you very much for your help on this subject.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:48 AM
inverse121
Tourer

I found this on the Harley Website at this link http://accessories.harley-davidson.c...t/default.aspx

Designed from the ground up, the Screamin' Eagle® transmission incorporates many of the best Original Equipment features, like late-style shifting mechanism and a newly designed "shift ring" system to make this the smoothest shifting Harley-Davidson® transmission available. The "shift ring" system is similar to the system used in the VRSC transmission, and it slides on the shafts to mate into the gears. This eliminates sliding heavy gears to accomplish the shift, and results in smooth, precise and light effort shifting. Sixth gear is a true overdrive, at a .89:1 ratio, and the first five gears mimic today's proven 5-speed ratios. The overdrive feature allows you to run a lower engine RPM in sixth gear, at any given road life and smoother cruising. The Screamin' Eagle® 6-Speed Transmission is available as a complete transmission, or as a replacement gear set, and can be matched with hydraulic or cable-operated clutch controls. Screamin' Eagle®

And this information that indicates that 6 is a higher ratio or 11%, about the same as a .89 overdrive at this link http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...istory=archive

The 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission, which was introduced on the Dyna family in 2006, features gear ratios optimized to match the torque curve of the new Twin Cam 96/96B engines. The addition of a higher-ratio sixth gear reduces top-gear rpm by 11 percent, compared to the previous 5-speed Big Twin transmission. At 75 mph, engine speed is reduced by 368 rpm, from 3227 rpm to 2859 rpm. Second through fourth gears have helical-cut teeth for quieter operation, and load carrying capacity has been increased significantly.

Last edited by inverse121; 09-21-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: More trans information in case Cruise Drive and Screamin Eagle are different
Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 AM
bennenrkc
Tourer

you really want to debate this? No.
I never thought the knowledge is low, however if you look at your first graph that you post. at ~5250 RPM's the lines do "cross" Torque at ~78 and HP ~78. Just because each lines are scaled at a different point do not mean that HP and Torque do not equal each other at 5252 RPMs as posted earlier by another member, which is what many members are referring to as the lines "crossing". I concede that you can make a graph look however you want however the math posted earlier is correct, on both of your dyno's.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 AM
chester1957
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't confuse low post count with lack of knowledge.

Don't confuse low post count with lack of knowledge.

Strokerjlk is one smart guy, and would put his knowledge in area's where he posts with Shovelhead Bob's, as neither try to blow smoke up someone's azz.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,613 Posts

not FLHX124
But the 120R wont fit in earlier models because, the output spline is diff. so the primary drive wont work. the engine to tranny in integral so the earlier trannys wont bolt up.

they also dont come with the 58 mm T/B. you have to buy the T/B and injectors seperate
Thanks. Neither of my bikes is new, '02 FLHT and '05 FXSTD so I am not up to speed on the new stuff. I was aware of the primary issue but figured that could be addressed with later primary gear and I also knew that intake/injectors would have to be purchased. However, I was not aware that the trannys in the new models were integral to the engine. Anyway, thanks again for the feedback.

Quick Reply: 120R update and answers