Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120R update and answers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:15 AM
TheDon81
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10hrs might be for the crate motor (drop in) but the OP was refer to the kits.

For the price of the Crate Motor those are some healthy numbers, makes be want to buy a 2011 and drop this in instead of the 103.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:34 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,613 Posts

FLHX124,
I understand that the complete crate motors will not bolt in to ealier frames and that the SE Performance Catalog indicates that the kit, say for a softail, is for '07 and later models. The kit includes 4-5/8" stroke Premium Flywheel Assembly, 58mm throttle body, SE-266E cams, forged 10.5 to 1 compression ratio nickel-plated pistons with wear-reducing
Teflon-coated skirts, and CNC-ported MVA heads with automatic compression releases. Kit also includes Perfect Fit pushrods, Screamin’ E agle® Super Tuner, gaskets and lower
piston cooling jets.

Why couldn't this kit be intalled in earlier cases. I understand case boring would be required and it would be a good idea to have the crank pinned/welded but why not?

Old 09-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

I was hoping for some additional performance out of that kit. 127/127 is definitely nothing to scoff at, but for a motor of that size I would have expected closer to 140 tq. Probably an unrealistic expectation for a crate offer direct from HD, especially at the price they are offering it at.

I guess if I were looking to upgrade I would want at least an equal amount of hp and tq per cube as I'm getting now with my 103.

JMO
Zach

Old 09-20-2010, 12:28 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you think the all in price for this type of set up would be? Just trying to get a ball park idea how much I need to save.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MassHD
What do you think the all in price for this type of set up would be? Just trying to get a ball park idea how much I need to save.
My guestimate, motor, throttle body and intake and tuner, 7 grand if you do the wrenching.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:58 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLHX124
Guys, I have just read both 120R Discussions and I have answers on some of this stuff for you. We are in the process of doing our fourth 120R motor. They are exceptional motors and the price compared to building one is hands down.

Ask me any questions you may have and I will see what i can do. I have a dyno sheet on one here in front of me. I will scan it in later and post!

If you have any questions ask away and I will see what i can do!

Thanks
Kyle
Kyle,
The numbers look pretty good...the Dyno Sheet, however, doesn't show RPM, but rather speed. I doubt any of us will ever hit 150mph, since these bikes are typically electronically limited to 105-110. Add to that 150mph on a bagger would be 1 adventure I'll pass up (too many bushes with death in my life already).

Is there a way to re-configure the Dyno sheet to show HP / TQ vs RPM??

Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm guessing that's a 6th gear run (assuming the bike has stock gearing). So figure out what RPM your bike (if geared the same as this bike) is doing at those speeds and you can back into it that way.

I think Dynojet dynos shut down the sampling at 148mph, so you might be able to do the math starting at 6200 RPM and 148mph and calculate backward to 50mph if you know the gearing. I'm not smart enough to figure it, but I'm sure someone on here could.

Zach

Old 09-20-2010, 02:31 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Biggzed
I'm guessing that's a 6th gear run (assuming the bike has stock gearing). So figure out what RPM your bike (if geared the same as this bike) is doing at those speeds and you can back into it that way.

I think Dynojet dynos shut down the sampling at 148mph, so you might be able to do the math starting at 6200 RPM and 148mph and calculate backward to 50mph if you know the gearing. I'm not smart enough to figure it, but I'm sure someone on here could.

Zach
Zach,
Yeah, I could figure that out easily enough. My point was more that the graph doesn't represent what 'most' dyno sheets show, where people can see the HP / TQ from start-out in 1st (0 rpm / 0 mph). The graph starts off @ 50mph, which is actually above my overall average speed for most riding in the mountains of CO.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
Zach,
My point was more that the graph doesn't represent what 'most' dyno sheets show, where people can see the HP / TQ from start-out in 1st (0 rpm / 0 mph).
You kind of lost me here. Dyno runs never start in 1st gear from a dead stop.

Most graphs start around 1800 - 2000 rpm in a high gear (5th or 6th, whatever gear gives a 1:1 ratio). There is also a time lag on the dyno's ability to sample the information and calculate the performance. If you were to run a bike in 1st gear on the dyno it would likely not have enough time to sample the data because the bike would rev so quickly.

While I agree the run the OP posted is not in the "normal" set-up of RPM rather than speed, it does accurately depict the curve of the power the motor is making. It would just be easier to relate to other builds if it was using RPM.

My best guess is that run start at 2000 rpm and ends around 6200. Would be nice to know what gear it was done in for sure though.

I have no idea what your experience level is, so don't take this the wrong way.... here is a video of my bike being run on the dyno. This is typical of the process to check WOT performance after some MAP modifications were made. This process repeats dozens of times or more throughout the process of a tune. The actual sampled run starts at about the 27 second mark. The gear changes leading up to that point were just to get up to speed in 5th gear. He always does at least 2 runs after every change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGSLbbhELfs

Hope this helps

Zach

Old 09-20-2010, 03:44 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torque and horsepower curves always cross at 5200 rpm. The motor is available from Zanottis for $5015. Add a throttle body, larger injectors,acr harness, and a super tuner for another grand. Should be good to go.

Quick Reply: 120R update and answers