Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander crapped out???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
But it didn't...

My point is, the more parts, the more potential problems.
Then we should strip our bikes down to near nothing, for the sake of dependability.
Good point,..... but some of us like to enjoy the bennies of modern technology.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:51 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

*** deleted double-post ***

Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

But it did....
It has not been determined that the PCIII is defective. It would be simply corrupt firmware or computer software. This is not a thread to promote competitive tuning products, but to try to help the OP determine the source of his problem. If he is interested in your favorite tuner he has the right to ask you about it, but he hasn't done that yet.

Last edited by iclick; 09-17-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Then we should strip our bikes down to near nothing, for the sake of dependability.
Good point,..... but some of us like to enjoy the bennies of modern technology.
Mercy, you win.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:08 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
It has not been determined that the PCIII is defective. This is not a thread to promote competitive tuning products, but to try to help the OP determine the source of his problem.
Indeed. I was only making a point. Carry on, all knowing one.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by firedog341
Don't know where it was bought, 2nd owner on the scoot. It's a PCIII and I can't flash it, because it won't talk to my laptop. Newest software on my laptop sees the PC, but I get no SN, map, or numbers. I disconnected both plugs and inspected the harness for cuts or pinches. Nothing noted. I plugged it backed in and the scoot fire right up, except still no communication or LEDs on the PC.
I would first go to the PC site and download the latest firmware for the PCIII, then flash the unit. You may need to call PC tech support to find out which to use for your unit.

A HD dealer in town is a tuning center for PCs and I have an appointment. Next week for diagnostic. And of course dealer already pushing replacement and dyno....
Consider that they may be more interested in selling you another tuner than reviving the PCIII. The PCIII won't be in warranty, so if it is defunct you'll need to buy another one, a PCV, or one of the flash-based tuners (SEST, etc.). If you need to replace the PCIII, consider buying a PCV from Fuel Moto. It will have a good map for your bike's configuration and a double-warranty (two years), along with FM's great support after the sale. You could also buy SEST (HD's flash-based tuner), which may be what they will push and is an excellent product. It will also require a dyno-tune unless you have a configuration that is covered by one of their canned maps, which is unlikely.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I would first go to the PC site and download the latest firmware for the PCIII, then flash the unit. You may need to call PC tech support to find out which to use for your unit.

Consider that they may be more interested in selling you another tuner than reviving the PCIII. The PCIII won't be in warranty, so if it is defunct you'll need to buy another one, a PCV, or one of the flash-based tuners (SEST, etc.). If you need to replace the PCIII, consider buying a PCV from Fuel Moto. It will have a good map for your bike's configuration and a double-warranty (two years), along with FM's great support after the sale. You could also buy SEST (HD's flash-based tuner), which may be what they will push and is an excellent product. It will also require a dyno-tune unless you have a configuration that is covered by one of their canned maps, which is unlikely.
I agree. That's why I'd call Dynojet first. Might be a freebie waiting for him.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

But it didn't...

My point is, the more parts, the more potential problems.
Exactly. I've never heard of a stock ECM failing for no reason. Now you have an ECM and a piggyback controller, an additional piece to cause potential issues. I've heard of PLENTY of PCIII's (and personally seen one, my neighbor's on his Honda sportbike) losing their cal and the bike failing to start until they've been re-loaded. The PC doesn't die, but it ain't gettin' the bike home without rider intervention, either.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:42 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

This is the reason I keep my XiED's in my saddlebags. If I have a problem I can just disconnect the PCV and reinstall my O2 sensors this the Xied's in line as a get'em home fix it!