Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you lug a bike with the rpms at 3000?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If in doubt, downshift! Just my
Absolutely!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:30 AM
kerrycorcoran
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
Coulda been overloaded...

How big is yer wife? errr... I mean yer 'luggage'!
ha ha ha!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

Well all I can say is she is bigger than when I first marred her. Let’s just say under 145. I just wanted to cruse and not have to shift. The hills were not very step I try to listen to the engine but the wind drowns the sound of the engine. Highway 395 calif. From Mojave to Topaz Lake it is a long straight high desert highway. The I can fell the engine purring when the road is flat but when I go up hill I fell the engine working harder to maintain the speed. I gust my question is how hard can you push the engine at around 3000 rpms before you screw something up? Will the engine start to buck and stumble?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by ubreal
Well all I can say is she is bigger than when I first marred her. Let’s just say under 145. I just wanted to cruse and not have to shift. The hills were not very step I try to listen to the engine but the wind drowns the sound of the engine. Highway 395 calif. From Mojave to Topaz Lake it is a long straight high desert highway. The I can fell the engine purring when the road is flat but when I go up hill I fell the engine working harder to maintain the speed. I gust my question is how hard can you push the engine at around 3000 rpms before you screw something up? Will the engine start to buck and stumble?
Buck and stumble is way past lugging range. "Feel the engine working harder" is a good enough signal to downshift. Harder it works, the more wear and tear you are putting it through.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:10 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

That is what I did down shift. Let’s say I am on a flat road in 6th and going 65 at 3000 rpms and I twist the throttle all the way the bike picks up speed very slow and mushy not a nice jump forward, but my be the 07 are like this. Maybe I need a set of cams

Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

I gust my question is how hard can you push the engine at around 3000 rpms before you screw something up? Will the engine start to buck and stumble?
Really can't lug an engine at 3000 RPM. We'll...hard to believe anyway. Lugging is push back, buckling, kickback of the crank and pistons etc while under a load too large for the engine speed while the engine is at low RPMs. I only mention lugging because it's a #1 killer of bottom ends and a LOT of people do it.

What you experience in a load to large for the engine speed while turning at High RPMs is in my opinion called "bogging" or "hitting the wall". The engine simply cannot deliver enough power to overcome or maintain the load presently asked of it. So the engine slows and becomes unresponsive to requests for acceleration. If you've ever had a 1983 honda civic you've experienced this. No, it will not hurt the engine unless you let the engine decel all the way down into the low RPMs where it starts jumping around like a rodeo bull and kicking back etc...lugging. Trick here is to down shift.

lp

Last edited by lp; 09-17-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

No, it will not hurt the engine unless you let the engine decel all the way down into the low RPMs where it starts jumping around like a rodeo bull and kicking back etc...lugging. Trick here is to down shift.
Not true. Lugging begins long before the bucking bronco effect.

Accelerating with poor response,... vs downshifting for quicker response is a good example. Lugging.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:35 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Not true. Lugging begins long before the bucking bronco effect.

Accelerating with poor response,... vs downshifting for quicker response is a good example. Lugging.
Understand your point. I disagree though. I don't think a engine simply slowing down because of a large load is lugging. Lugging is high demand at low RPM where the engine is burdened so much that it nearly cannot complete it's full duty cycle or revolution. Not a problem at High RPM.

You're probably right though. My Engineering degree is in basket weaving.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also had my wife on the bike and luggage.
I'd blame the "lug"-gage if I were you.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:46 PM
kruzin
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Will not hurt the engine a bit. As long as you have some rpms up and the engine has reached it peak hp, it’s the same as running it on a dyno. I work in the AG Industry where farm engines run at peak power at 1800 rpms all day long. It doesn’t hurt them, accelerate wear or anything else. That is what they are made to do.

Quick Reply: Can you lug a bike with the rpms at 3000?