Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bub 7 tip and baffle removal problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:25 PM
youngr3
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bub 7 tip and baffle removal problem

Does anyone have any advice on removing the tip and baffle from the Bub 7 mufflers?? I removed the 2 screws holding in the tip but i cant get anything to even budge. I asked bub and they told me to find a pipe almost the same size as the inlet and tap the baffle and tip out that way. I actually found a socket that was the right diameter and i put an extension on it and tried to tap it out with a 3lb hammer but i still couldn't get the baffle to even budge. I just got the pipes in July so carbon buildup shouldn't be an issue. Any advise please!!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:19 PM
wink2206
Novice
Default Removing baffles/tips

How long have you had your pipes? I used my Bub 7's for over 2 years before I removed my baffles. Was not easy, but removing the cold mufflers makes it easier. You must remove the bolts that hold the mufflers before the baffles will come out. A strap wrench (web belt) could work. I gently used a straight slot screwdriver, covered by a rag, and some break free to remove the tips. Going around the lip will eventually loosen them. The baffles will require some wiggling, but will come out. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Bub 7 tip and baffle removal problem-dsc00970.jpg  
Old 09-16-2010, 04:20 PM
wink2206
Novice
Default Also

By the way, you will love the sound without the baffles.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:10 PM
redultra02
Cruiser

I talked to Bub when I was purchasing a use set and was thinking of replacing the baffles. The lady that I spoke to informed me to spray windex or some other good glass cleaner down the muffler. Said it help to break down any carbon build up. She also spoke of using a 2x2 to pond out the baffle. It might also help to get the muffler tip off first, I believe they use a sealant on the tip also when installed

Old 09-16-2010, 05:57 PM
youngr3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wink2206
How long have you had your pipes? I used my Bub 7's for over 2 years before I removed my baffles. Was not easy, but removing the cold mufflers makes it easier. You must remove the bolts that hold the mufflers before the baffles will come out. A strap wrench (web belt) could work. I gently used a straight slot screwdriver, covered by a rag, and some break free to remove the tips. Going around the lip will eventually loosen them. The baffles will require some wiggling, but will come out. Good luck.

Ive had them about 3 months. Do you mean the bolts on the bottom also? When i pull them out all i see is the fibergalss baffle wrap. I didnt think anything was attached to the baffle there. And what about the smaller middle bolt? I tried the strap wrench and it was diffucult to use cuz of the slash. Im afraid to use the screw driver cuz my pipes are black and they seem to chip/scratch realy easy. Thanks for your advice.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:59 PM
youngr3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wink2206
By the way, you will love the sound without the baffles.
I actually wanted to try them without the wrap first, i am afraid of too much power loss from lack of back pressure by removing the whole baffle. Was power loss noticible when you removed yours?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:05 PM
youngr3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redultra02
I talked to Bub when I was purchasing a use set and was thinking of replacing the baffles. The lady that I spoke to informed me to spray windex or some other good glass cleaner down the muffler. Said it help to break down any carbon build up. She also spoke of using a 2x2 to pond out the baffle. It might also help to get the muffler tip off first, I believe they use a sealant on the tip also when installed
I cant get the tip to budge, thats my problem. I shouldn't have too much carbon buildup being on for only 3 months so i don't think thats the problem. I think the 2x2 idea is alot like what they told me,to tap a pipe from the inlet side, which hasnt worked yet.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM
wink2206
Novice

No wrap on mine. Once I broke them loose, they came out rather easily. No sealant. Just be patient and they will come. Remove any screws that are on there.
... Also, I didn't notice a power loss. I did tweak my T-max though.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 PM
youngr3
Intermediate

sounds good. i will try tonight.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:19 PM
youngr3
Intermediate

i got them out. the screwdriver method only chipped the black/chrome. The idea is to pound them out from the inlet side. Instead of hitting it with a hammer i flipped the pipe and socket/extension over and pounded the socket against the ground instead. that proved to be a more solid hit and they came right out. my baffles were wrapped and the tips had a sealant around them. Thanks for the help though.

Quick Reply: Bub 7 tip and baffle removal problem