Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Auto Tuner make a differnce?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is Auto Tuner make a differnce?

I have a 2010 EGC with Rineharts and a Ness BS and a PC-V. Runs pretty well but am wondering what kind of advantage an Auto Tune module would give. Has anyone started with just a PC-V and then added the AT? How many of you are using the AT? Is it worth the extra money? Thanks for any input.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't speak from experience and I'm only telling you what I've been told. All the auto tune advertising is just that, advertising. I have been told by more than one tuner that the auto tuning devices can not tune as well as a dyno tune and that they can be way off in real world riding conditions like riding up a hill ect and that they constantly are trying to adjust. An example that was given to me is that if you tell it that you want it to run a certain AFR, then your air cleaner gets a little dirty, your autotune think the bike is getting less air so it cuts back on how much fuel it gives the bike. Note that the guys who have told me this are dyno tuners and they need to sell custom maps/dyno tunes. Surely someone here can give us both better answers and explanations.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have started with the PCVand then addedauto tuneasdid iclick. Both he and i have real great perfomance improvement with the auto tuneIsure he willlchimeinhere at somepoint. But even Jamie at fuelmoto will tellyou of the merit they have. The auto tune did improve my map from what jamie had sent asno two motors are the same. My bikeruns flawlessly i love it. Yes auto tune can tune for a bad condition but you can set the paramenters of letting only go a certain percent so when you reach this tagret such as with a dirty air cleaner above or other mechanical problem it will let you bike run like crap so you know. I would recommend it especcially if you adding things to your bike over time, no need to keep paying the tuner. Yes it may not be the optimum for WOT or as a tuner would tune but I tell you mine is very nice and Iam very pleased.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I fought like hell with my autotune when I first put it on my bike. As it turns out, I was having a reversion problem at the rear O2 sensor, which kept throwing the bike out of tune. Once that got sorted out (by installing a new exhaust), I was good to go.

Lots of guys seem convinced that a dyno tune is better than the autotune. If you look at the fuel moto thread on the Woods 555 and 6 cams, you can see the difference between a PC5 autotune and dyno tune... and it's not much.

I tend to mess around with my bike, and I don't really want to have to dyno tune it every time I try a new set of cams or exhaust, so the autotune was a good choice for me. If you're happy with the way your bike is running, and you're not planning on any big changes, then the autotune probably isn't needed.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:35 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default I started with the PCV and then added AT

I had started with the PCV and then added the AT. I really like the changes the AT has made to my map. I am happy with how my bike runs and how the AT adjusts when I ride to different locations.