Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torn between Heritage/Road King/Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Dandy1
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torn between Heritage/Road King/Street Glide

I have my 07 RK for sale and when it sells I want either a new Heritage or Road King Std or Street Glide. I'm leaning toward the Street Glide. Does the Street Glide ride as good as the other two bikes when riding 2 up? I have been going back and forth on these 3 bikes. I think I have it figured out until I walk into the dealer and start looking and then its a toss up again. I ride about 90% by myself but when the wife goes I want her to be comfy becuase if momma ain't happy no ones happy! Whats your thoughts? The RK & Heritage are about the same in price, Street Glide is a couple grand higher. Is it worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-15-2010, 06:55 PM
shorinji
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Dandy1950
I have my 07 RK for sale and when it sells I want either a new Heritage or Road King Std or Street Glide. I'm leaning toward the Street Glide. Does the Street Glide ride as good as the other two bikes when riding 2 up? Whats your thoughts? The RK & Heritage are about the same in price, Street Glide is a couple grand higher. Is it worth it? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
First off the Heritage is a different animal then the RK and Street Glide. I had a 2010 Heritage and was a great ride. But for two up long distance.... not great for my wife. We rode interstate and up into the White Mountains. The bike did it but not in comfort and ease two up. Have you tried on a Road Glide? Might want to take one for a ride before. I pulled the pin on a Road Glide Ultra. All I can say is .....wow! Its a Sport touring ride for sure. Adjustable Air shocks, 80 watt Stereo 4 speaker with CB/MP3/CD/weather/Nav/ headset commuications, cruise control, Twin Cam 103, Oil cooler, Engine temperature Management system, Security FOB, Adjustable lowers Ect.....

Old 09-15-2010, 07:07 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why get another RK when you already have one. I'm an RGU person so just like shorinji....once you go RGU....nothing else will do.

Test ride an SG and a RG...then decide.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Go with the SG. Nice clean lines with all the touring bike options. Heritage has the balanced engine, which I personally don't care for. Does not vibrate at idle, but picks up a low vibration at higher speed which puts your hands to sleep. Not very comfy for the long haul either. Plus most of the goodies you will buy after purchase are geared for the touring bikes. I also prefer the exhaust on each side of the bike vs just the right.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:29 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't see gonig to a Softail after owning a touring bike. Unless you only plan on shorter rides.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Aleslinger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Road Glide. Look at the Street Glide Vs. Road Glide specs. It has less clearance than the Road Glide so in a 2 up situation you have loss some cornering room/lean angle. However, you can't just go by the specs, you have to test both to get a real feel for the difference. Ride 2 up and try to scrap the floor boards on whatever you test...and do some slow speed maneuvers + quick stops and swerves. I tested the Street Glide, Road King and the Road Glide. The Road Glide was the best for me and my passenger. Make sure you dial in the suspension and adjust the bars before you ride.

Yes the Road Glide windshield does not work for most people and it gets replaced fast. Don't ask me which shield is best, just do a search on this forum.

Good luck!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:37 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before I bought my first Ultra I had a Fatboy that I converted into a Heritage like bike, with studded bags and a windshield. The bike looked great, but just didn't cut it for touring, or even all day rides two up. Like BackRoader said, it vibrated more at speed, and the shocks just couldn't handle two people and gear. Damn near bounced my wife off the back a couple of times.

If I wanted the Heritage look, I'd go for a RKC. You'd be much happier two up and still have a very versatile bike.
The SG seems to be the choice of those looking for a sportier looking touring bike.

I like the Ultra, cause I want all the bells and whistles and added comfort.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:20 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Heritage (Not)

I would eliminate the heritage for one very good reason. Look at the lean angle on the bikes you're interested in. The lean angle of the heritage is a couple of degrees less than the tourers. It would really suck to be trying to keep up with your buddies through some twisties and getting left in the dust cause you couldn't corner as fast.

Seems minor, but it would get really old, really quick.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Dandy1
Supporter

Well my deal is: we use to travel all over this country but since we have gotten older we don't take long trips. If we did it would only be 300 miles or less. Thats why I was thinking a Heritage but its actually on the bottom of the list. Realistically I will probably go with the Road King or SG. I haven't tied the Road Glide but I have looked at them just not sure about the fixed fairing. Like I said we probably won't be taking any long trips and I know the RG is supposed to be great on the highway. I loved the way my RK handles but I like the looks of the SG. I guess I'm going to have to find me one to ride and try out. Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Dandy1950
I'm leaning toward the Street Glide. Does the Street Glide ride as good as the other two bikes when riding 2 up?
I asked this question a few weeks back in relation to 2-up riding on a Road Glide Custom; which is essentially the same bike as a Street Glide (with a fixed shark-nosed fairing, of course). The answers I got from a number of experienced riders here on the forum was 'NO'...the 2-up riding is not as comfortable as the adjustable suspension of the 'general' touring bikes (the category which the RKs kinda' fall into). Can't say much about comparing a SG to a Heritage, but the impression I was left with is that if you want 2-up comfort, you ought to look at the RK, or Electra Glides. Lots of good things being said by new RG Ultra owners here lately.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: torn between Heritage/Road King/Street Glide