Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold feet or good sense-CVO Streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 AM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold feet or good sense-CVO Streetglide

Put a deposit on a 2011 CVO. Now I am starting to question my decision. My 08 SG is paid for. It has a 103 that frankly would put a whoopin on any CVO touring bikes. I know this because I own an 09 CVO Fat Bob. Probably would cover a CVO with a stage1 setup also. My 08 is 100% reliable. I just got back home (Va.) from Ca. where we spent 3 weeks riding. My bike averaged 43.8 MPG for the 3500 miles we did up and down the entire west coast loaded with tour pak and gear plus the wife. I take care of my stuff and even at 32,000 miles the 08 looks terrific. Got a few nice comments on the 08.
Now the new CVO SG is killer good looking but to put it in full touring mode I would have to add the following. Tour pak (my 08 tp won't fit) luggage rack, exhaust system, Master Tuner and dyno tuning time, a two up touring seat and a few other dodads that I can't think of right now. My price out the door for the bike is $34,177.27. When you add on the mentioned parts the total swells to price past $38,000.
I've had three bikes custom painted by a guy who also letters all my company vehicles (9) and it has offered a great deal on painting my 08 SG ($2700).
The 2011 CVO would not be a financial burden on me but honestly, $38,000 for a motorcycle simply sounds like too much and just not a wise decision. I have on the other hand put close to $30,000 in my 08 and I'm over $30,000 in my CVO Fat Bob. In the end I will probably buy the new CVO but I also like corvettes and I can buy a 2010 Vette for just a few thousand more than the CVO and I can get 0% financing.
This is all becoming confusing to me. Opinions or thoughts please.
Gary
P.S. And there are some good deals on used CVO's I might add.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 AM
bennenrkc
Tourer

I think the tourpack for your 08 will fit on your 11 you will have to buy new mounting hardware, and maybe drill a couple holes but there are several threads on here about doing that.

As for the power 103 vs. 110, I always wondered if you could have headwork done ($299) and change cam and make it really shine, though I have no experience however I dont see why this wouldn't be possible.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:51 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just buy the CVO Ultra instead of buying the st.glide?? When you do all you add-ons your in CVO Ultra price range.I say buy the CVO Ultra & maybe sell you 08 st glide yourself, & recoup some money!!! The Vette is a different story!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:19 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
Why not just buy the CVO Ultra instead of buying the st.glide?? When you do all you add-ons your in CVO Ultra price range.!!!
Normally I agree, but the 2011 CVO SG is soooo much better looking than the Ultra that its worth paying extra for the tourpack. I think the 2011 CVO SG is the best looking bagger Harley has ever built.

If I had a wife that was willing, I would own a 2011 CVO SG now. But I have other hills to win first. Maybe I will get a used one from harris a couple years down the road.

Beary

Old 09-15-2010, 12:44 PM
al baehr
Tourer

I would personally keep what you have and buy the vette, part of the fun of owning a harley is the mods you do. But then again I am out work and cant afford a bicycle at this point so who knows for sure. Good luck on your decision I know its a hard one.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:51 PM
rdoucet
Cruiser

Just an idea but why not buy a 2010 Ultra if you can locate one. They are giving great deals on them to make room for the 2011's.

If you get a 2010 Ultra, you can strip it down to a street glide; put lower shocks on, street glide front/rear signals, ect...

Might save Big $$ and still have a new bike.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:33 PM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Since you got all the $$$ invested in your SG and CVO Fat Bob, I personally would suggest you to keep them 2 and buy a Corvette.

This is what I did after owning Sporty, RKC and Ultra...Have a Corvette in my garage for the chilly days that my lady doesn't like to ride on bikes. Works out well for both of us.

I've always wanted to purchase that '09 Orange CVO Road Glide as I have the same dilemma as you are having. It's all about $$$. Maybe someday I'll find a used one with low mileage.

Thorey

Old 09-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Personally, I would keep the two bikes you have and opt for the corvette. But that's just me......

Shakey

Old 09-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

So your question is should you own 3 Harleys (2 CVOs) or 2 Harleys and a Corvette.
Man I wish I had your troubles.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:38 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great position to be in. If it were me, I'd keep both Harley's, paint the Street Glide, and buy the Corvette (I love Corvettes too, but can't afford one just yet)...good luck with the decision...

Quick Reply: Cold feet or good sense-CVO Streetglide