Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Ultra Classic balance problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:17 AM
plumbfitt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Ultra Classic balance problem

Hello Members- First post here. I just purchased my first Harley 2010 Ultra Classic, and I have to say I love it. The jap crap I have had int he past just won't compare. But to raise the question, I am having problems with balance at low speeds to stopping, and have done the tip over a couple of times. I have never experienced this before on any other bike. I was wondering if changing the handle bars would have an effect on the stability at slow speeds. From my experience with this beautiful machine, this is the only flaw I can see at this time. If anyone has some great knowledge to correct this, please advise. Thanks in Advance.

Kenny

Old 09-15-2010, 10:22 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you just have to get used to it.I have same bike.It takes awhile to get used to it at slow speeds.They are very stable at slow speeds though once you get the hang of it!!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,413 Likes on 2,199 Posts

outriggers?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:27 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Until your proficiency improves, try to stop straight ahead rather than in a turn. Practice, practice, practice. Take an advanced rider's skills class.

Enjoy the ride.

Bwana

Old 09-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hit the gym...

And lay off the front brake at slow speeds!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:33 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You must practice your friction zone. That is where the clutch is slipping and you are on the rear brake. Control speed by how much clutch you let out. Keep throttle constant at a high idle. NEVER use the front brake at slow speed, just rear.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just keep riding. After riding for a few more weeks it will become second nature to ride slow. I did one or two low speed tipovers my first week with my Ultra also. Try some empty parking lot slow speed turns and make sure you have good tread on your boots also, a good lugged Vibram-type tread will do wonders for traction and keeping the bike upright.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
dakajun
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
I think you just have to get used to it.I have same bike.It takes awhile to get used to it at slow speeds.They are very stable at slow speeds though once you get the hang of it!!!!
I agree with arealinvestor. Won't talk long at all!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 AM
TxCowboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
Just keep riding. After riding for a few more weeks it will become second nature to ride slow. I did one or two low speed tipovers my first week with my Ultra also. Try some empty parking lot slow speed turns and make sure you have good tread on your boots also, a good lugged Vibram-type tread will do wonders for traction and keeping the bike upright.
My thoughts as well. Clutch control and rear braking when coming to a stop at low speed.

Assuming that you're able to sit comfortably on the seat with your feet flat on the road, the handle bar position probably isn't an issue. For longer rides and general comfort, yes, it's important but starting and stopping, not so much.

You also need to get comfortable making stops with the left foot down only or the right foot down only. As you become more proficient and comfortable with the bike, you'll be able to "read the road" at intersections and will know which foot to put down when you stop. That'll reduce the chances of dumping the bike should the road have a slope or pothole in your lane.

HTH.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by asm481
You must practice your friction zone. That is where the clutch is slipping and you are on the rear brake. Control speed by how much clutch you let out. Keep throttle constant at a high idle. NEVER use the front brake at slow speed, just rear.
This bang on! Clutch slipping and rear brake = excellent low speed handling. Front brake at low speeds = on your side. Hit a parking lot and practice making tight turns at low speeds using the method above and you will be amazed at how quickly you pick up low speed manuvers.

I tipped mine once swinging a u-turn until a friend taught me the rear brake/clutch method. Now if I could just remember to look at the road where I am putting my feet down I'd be doing good. I stopped at a stop sign on the way home from Sturgis 2010 and there was a 6" deep pot hole where my left foot needed to touchdown. Didn't see the pothole and by the time my foot hit bottom the bike was on it's side. Trashed my outter, inner, and lower left fairing.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ultra Classic balance problem