Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Ultra Classic balance problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:31 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outriggers,HA HA HA HA HA HA HA that's funny.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:32 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
I think you just have to get used to it.I have same bike.It takes awhile to get used to it at slow speeds.They are very stable at slow speeds though once you get the hang of it!!!!

I agree. I rode Goldwings for 32 years and had the same thing to get use to on my first Harley.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:38 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Put jugs of water in your saddlebags. That will lower your center of gravity and make it easier to balance. Make sure you put the same in each side.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an Road King and an Ultra. The Ultra is more "tippy" at slow speeds than the RK is because of all the weight up high. What everybody else said about practice, time and advanced rider course.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 PM
gbinman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dschoemaker1
I bought the "Ride Like a Pro" DVDs before I even bought my bike.

Laugh if you want, I saw these guys at the Illinois State Rally and was impressed. The excercises on the dvd helped me tremenodously. Doing the slow turn/manuever stuff was the hardest part of learning to ride a bike that weighs that much.
Nothing funny there. I have their DVDs and a couple months ago took their class. They know their stuff and watch students like a hawk to make sure you do it right. It's a small investment compared to crashing with or without injuries.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:17 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

You need to get the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD at ridelikeapro.com. It will reinforce everything recommended in this thread with actual video demonstrations. Watch the DVD and then practice, practice, practice. Also, remember that the front brake is not your friend in slow speed manuevers; when going slow you should only use the front brake when the front wheel is facing forward.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:29 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

As others have said; get the Ride Like A Pro DVD; I have not had one issue since I watched/practiced the DVD lessons

Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hang a danger "do not operate tag" on the front brake lever. Practice & practice and you will know when to remove danger tag. It sounds simple but that front brake is a thriller until you master it.
I just returned from the Dragon today and met 7 emergency vehicles on their way in with lights on and siren screaming. Something big going on.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 AM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plumbfitt
Hello Members- First post here. I just purchased my first Harley 2010 Ultra Classic, and I have to say I love it. The jap crap I have had int he past just won't compare. But to raise the question, I am having problems with balance at low speeds to stopping, and have done the tip over a couple of times. I have never experienced this before on any other bike. I was wondering if changing the handle bars would have an effect on the stability at slow speeds. From my experience with this beautiful machine, this is the only flaw I can see at this time. If anyone has some great knowledge to correct this, please advise. Thanks in Advance.

Kenny

I have seen alot of guys dump those Ultra Classics in parking lots especially with their women on back. The crash bars have always caught the bikes so far and only did light cosmetic damage to the chrome. I think it is just a top heavy bike and you have to be prepared.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 AM
dad311
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Im glad to see this post.

Ive been riding for 30+ years and just purchased an Ultra. Ive also noticed stopping the bike is more difficult than usual. 850 lbs plus two riders is a lot of weight. For me, putting more force on the back brake seemed to help a lot.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ultra Classic balance problem