Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Ultra Classic balance problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

It's operator error; not the bike. As others have mentioned, no front brake at slow speed with the handlebars turned; practice in parking lots; use the friction zone; and, the Ride Like A Pro video is excellent--even better take the RLAP class.

Most of us will never achieve the skill of motor officers, but these Touring models are nimble at slow speeds. Check out the videos from police rodeos; here's one of many:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csf3O...eature=related

Carl

Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 AM
audettd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think using the rear brake more then the front brake helps a lot when stopping (not slowing down). Use less of the front brake and mostly all the rear when going at very slow speeds, this won't give you the feeling of falling over when having the handle bars slightly turned or straight. Its something you need to practice though

Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

All good advice. Nothing explains it better than the Ride Like a Pro video. Gives you exercises to practice.
The truth is that these bikes are amazingly agile at low speeds as long as you don't make critical errors. Look up videos showing police motorcycle drill teams and you'll see what I mean.
Order or borrow the video asap before you develop bad habits or fear of the bike. Welcome to the forum and to touring. You're going to love it.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:22 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't forget to put the kickstand down after you stop.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Bought the video and looking forward to taking the course.Money well spent!!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:45 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plumbfitt
Hello Members- First post here. I just purchased my first Harley 2010 Ultra Classic, and I have to say I love it. The jap crap I have had int he past just won't compare. But to raise the question, I am having problems with balance at low speeds to stopping, and have done the tip over a couple of times. I have never experienced this before on any other bike. I was wondering if changing the handle bars would have an effect on the stability at slow speeds. From my experience with this beautiful machine, this is the only flaw I can see at this time. If anyone has some great knowledge to correct this, please advise. Thanks in Advance.

Kenny
Harleys are among the best balanced bikes out there. You can toss this big bikes around with ease.... It's a matter of technique.

Do straight line slow speed control in a parking lot.
Twist throttle to about 2000 rpm and keep it there
Release clutch to the point it is just starting to move.
KEEP THESE TWO THE SAME
Control your slow speed with rear brake....
What this does is create a gyroscopic effect which helps greatly with balance.

Once you feel comfortable with you hand and brake technique, you will now want to try your turning.

LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO!
If you want to make a uturn you must turn your head as far as it will go. We used to bite our shirts above the appropriate shoulder to make sure you kept your head where it should be...

Using the slow ride technique start making turns. Lean the bike, turn the front wheel but keep your body square with the ground.

Gyou practice enough you can go in circles scraping floor boards, one handed even....

If your going to really practice, you may drop it, no biggie just get some pipe insulation to put over your crash bars and saddle bag bars...

When I trained my cousin he dumped his bike 8 times in one day, he is thankful for it now and has total control of his bike!

Good luck and enjoy the new scoot

Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol, not to confuse with the task at hand.... We trained using front brake at slow speeds and putting our right foot down first due to traffic and cover/concealment issues. But you should not need to worry bout that...lol

Old 09-16-2010, 01:01 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must get my $.02 in about that front brake! I didn't get, understand, believe the "lay off the front brake." Two tip overs on my beautiful Davidson got me to thinking I just might be doing something wrong. A DANGER TAG should be hanging on the bars of each bike! But then, some of us have to learn the hard way. Front brake=caution.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:06 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Ride Like a Pro and practice will get you there.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default "Motor Lessons"

An outstanding written course available free of charge is "Motor Lessons" prepared by a former motorcycle officer trainer. Just send a request via email to: motorlessons@hotmail.com. Harris will send you a 40 page course free of charge via return email.

Carl

Quick Reply: 2010 Ultra Classic balance problem