Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT with no data after dyno

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 AM
chester1957
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I understand that.

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
But he paid for a SERT map.
I was commenting on whether the bike can be tuned with out a SERT, some dealers consider a stage 1 map a tune. Which in my book is not a tune.

Also a good dealer would give you a copy of the map they worked up for you.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

The dealer tech can load a canned map from the moco into the ECM without a SE tuner. This is frequently done when installing components that require a new map, also called recalibration. A stage 1 air cleaner is an example. There is a charge for this map from the moco as well as dealer shop labor. Some dealers call this "tuning". Then they can do a dyno. Charge you for that. And hand you some charts. There's nothing wrong with that. The canned map used for the recalibration is most often right on if the mods are close to what are listed in the SE list. A canned map is used even if you buy the SE tuner which comes complete with a whole series of maps.

Now, if no canned map matches your mods. You'll need the SE tuner to fine tune one of the canned maps or create one from scratch. That requires the Tuner and most likely a dyno to do all the adjusting of the map parameters.

It seems like the first dealer took a short cut and didn't use the your tuner to load a canned map. If he didn't charge you separately for it no harm done. But doing a dyno and tuning using a dyno are two entirely different things.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
The dealer tech can load a canned map from the moco into the ECM without a SE tuner. This is frequently done when installing components that require a new map, also called recalibration. A stage 1 air cleaner is an example. There is a charge for this map from the moco as well as dealer shop labor. Some dealers call this "tuning". Then they can do a dyno. Charge you for that. And hand you some charts. There's nothing wrong with that. The canned map used for the recalibration is most often right on if the mods are close to what are listed in the SE list. A canned map is used even if you buy the SE tuner which comes complete with a whole series of maps.

Now, if no canned map matches your mods. You'll need the SE tuner to fine tune one of the canned maps or create one from scratch. That requires the Tuner and most likely a dyno to do all the adjusting of the map parameters.

It seems like the first dealer took a short cut and didn't use the your tuner to load a canned map. If he didn't charge you separately for it no harm done. But doing a dyno and tuning using a dyno are two entirely different things.
From the OP: (I added the bold and underline).
I have a 2010 ultra classic ltd. when I bought the bike I went with the sert & d&d 2 into1 fat cat and a/c. Tha dealer said that they dynoed & mapped
it. I took it in for its 5000k service and had it dynoed again. Not @ the same dealer and they told me that my tuner was blank and just running
on the default mode. I had taken the bike to Sturgis and coming back to Texas in went into the limp home mode for a while I think,but no codes were thrown. Is it possible to dyno a bike and have nothing on the sert
showing it was done? Current #'s are 82TQ and 72 HP. Any ideas?
The tuner was in my tour pak when i pickup the bike at the dealer along witha dyno sheet
I still think the last guy to hook up the sert did it wrong, and he likely does have at least a canned (sert) map in the bike.
I'd be looking for a knowledgeable guy to hook up the sert again and at least see if it recognizes the bike. If not, I'd want my sert money back.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Not @ the same dealer and they told me that my tuner was blank and just running
on the default mode.
I'd like some clarification on that.

You can not upload a map "from" your bike via sert (you can with power commander).
You can make new maps all day and download them to your bike, but no uploading from the bike with sert.

Did the sert "see" your VIN # ????? If so, you likely have no issues to worry about!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:05 PM
brink1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought the bike @ Cowboy in Beaumont. they were suppose to dyno with the sert. Stubbs has it now in Houston. @ Stubbs they
said their was no Vin# that showed up.

Last edited by brink1; 09-16-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by brink1
bought the bike @ Cowboy in Beaumont. they were suppose to dyno with the sert. Stubbs has it now in Houston. @ Stubbs they
said their was no Vin# that showed up.
The clarification I was asking for, had to do with what exactly was the sert "telling" the guy who claimed it to be running in default mode.

Did the sert "recognize" the bike when he hooked it up?
Was the VIN listed in one of the windows?
If so, I really don't think anything was wrong.

The guy may have been used to the Power Commander where you get to see the actual map that's loaded in the bike. SERT don't work like that.

If you want to make changes in a sert map, you have to have the original copy of the map, make your changes, then reload the map.
If you don't have the map, you have to "start from scratch" with a basic map, do a run and sniff the afr, make some changes to that map and reload it, do another run, sniff the afr, make some more changes, etc.
He can play with timing after viewing hp/tq lines and other info hidden in that wonderful program, too.

But you can't just hook it up to your bike and have a map to look at. Ain't gonna happen with sert. You can not "pull" a map from your bike.

EDIT: I see you edited your post to say it shows no VIN.
That is not a good sign. I honestly believe your original dealer has some financial liability here.
You paid for a tune that you may not have received. They need to redo, or show proof of what changes they made (a copy of the map they loaded would be excellent proof).
Also, you might not have the right unit. Might have got somebody elses by mistake. They only marry to one bike.
The first dealer needs to make it right.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 09-16-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: speling
Old 09-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

The second dealer might also have an older version software that sometimes gives issues like what you are seeing.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, here is a scenario that could possibly have happened, I have done literally hundreds of SERT downloads and I can tell you that it does not find the vin and fill in the window every single time, I will say on some bikes I see this several times during a tune. It will still take the download just fine and the next download it may or may not fill in the field for the vin.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:20 PM
brink1
Novice

ok got the bike back.The dyno curve looks better(alot smoother) The tech
that did it was not there, but they did tell me that they base it on a big bore with flat top pistons.
This sert is black in color it was the new one when I purchased it. the latest & greatest is orange and as I understand it will store the map in its memory.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:27 PM
brink1
Novice

Astro- Bought it @ Cowboy in Beaumont,they did the dyno w/ sert
took to Stubbs for 5k service and they did second dyno

Quick Reply: SERT with no data after dyno