Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn: PC5 Users

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:26 PM
PappyUSMC
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Attn: PC5 Users

Here is an excerpt from the https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post7272270 thread.

If you are using a Power Commander....

When you start your bike, do not wait for it to finish whining before hitting the ignition. Apparently, if the bike is turned on.. the PC5 warms up for 2 seconds then powers down. If you start the bike after that 2 seconds, you are starting up under the ECM with the original fuel/air mixture. Causing the bike to not start right, causing excess wear and tear on the starter compensator or starter clutch assembly.

According to the tech at HD, turn the bike on, then immediately start it. No warm up nesscary. Ensures the PC5 is active and the bike starts with proper mixture.

Makes sense to me.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:31 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm, an interesting notion. I'll try it out.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:33 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What do they say for the guys with automatic compression releases?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM
dakajun
Cruiser

I always start mine after two seconds and never noticed that it ran any different. I'll have to try with not waiting to see if I notice a anything.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:23 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

definately have noticed it fires up right away if i don't wait and turns over a few times before starting if i do wait.....

Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting suggestion. I got a couple questions. What does Dyno Jet have to say about this? Can the same procedure be accomplished using the kill switch at the controls? Sending an inquiry to Dyno Jet, and if the stop/run switch can accomplish the desired effect, then it's seems a simpler procedure. Or am I way off base?

Nate

PS
Had some time to think this through, and when I installed the PCV the OEM connecter to the OEM ECM was removed and plugged into PCV, taking the OEM ECM out of the loop. When AT is installed, OEM leads to the O2 sensors were unplugged and capped off. OEM O2 sensors removed and new ones from the kit installed, new leads to the AT installed from O2 sensors to the AT modules, witch in turn are plugged into the PCV. I don't see how the OEM ECM though still in place on the bike, but none of the connectors are connected to it, can have any bearing on how you start the bike or how it runs. Am I missing something?

Last edited by BAGGERNATE; 09-14-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: PS
Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 PM
PappyUSMC
Tourer

Don't know. This is just what my HD dealer told me. It makes sense. And by trying it, my bike is starting much easier.

Would be interesting to get the real word.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Elgin47
Cruiser

Sounds like a perfect question for Jamie @ Fuelmoto.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:30 PM
jsciullo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting! I just installed mine today and took it out for a ride. Rode like crap. Lots of vibration and more heat than the stock air filter and stock ECM. I was thinking that I needed a new map until I got home and noticed the rubber gasket that surrounds the AF cover came loose. I suspect that it got sucked into the air filter and blocked the air filter a bit. I also noticed that the check engine light came back on in a few seconds after the bike was started and then turned off. I reapplied the gasket and will use your advice when starting to see what happens.
Jim

Old 09-15-2010, 03:22 AM
PappyUSMC
Tourer

I am running PC5 without AT.

My bike does not have any sensors connected at all. PC5 handles it all.

Maybe it is a case of it happens to the PC5 without AT and not with AT.

Dont know.

Jamie would be a good one to chime in.

Quick Reply: Attn: PC5 Users