Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn: PC5 Users

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:18 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
how does the rev X tend work? I was under the impression that PC interupts the tach signal going to the ECM and "tricks" it (ECM) into thinking the bike is running lower RPM's than it actually is. That's why with Rev Xtend enabled the tach stops working at around 5000 RPM (or so) even though the bike revs higher. The way I understand the PC is that it both send and recieves info to/from the ECM.
The RevXtend issue only occurs with TBW bikes. My '07 (cable) shows correct RPM's all the way to the redline (6250). I haven't actually witnessed this, but I understand the tachs of TBW bikes with RevXtend enabled will stop at ~5K RPM while the engine climbs up to the redline.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

how does the rev X tend work? I was under the impression that PC interupts the tach signal going to the ECM and "tricks" it (ECM) into thinking the bike is running lower RPM's than it actually is. That's why with Rev Xtend enabled the tach stops working at around 5000 RPM (or so) even though the bike revs higher. The way I understand the PC is that it both send and recieves info to/from the ECM.
The RevXtend issue only occurs with TBW bikes. My '07 (cable) shows correct RPM's all the way to the redline (6250). I haven't actually witnessed this, but I understand the tachs of TBW bikes with RevXtend enabled will stop at ~5K RPM while the engine climbs up to the redline.

I don't know of any data that gets transferred from the PCV to the ECM. What I believe is happening with the REvXtend issue is that in stock form it stops at 5K or thereabouts, and the limiter also kicks in at that point. My understanding is that the tach function is unaltered unless you have a flash performed at a Harley shop, or with one of the flash-based tuners (TTS, SEST, etc.) using a computer, and apparently the PCV intercepts and alters the rev-limiting signal from the PCV, yet the tach signal is not something the PCV can change.
If I'm mistakened I hope someone will correct me.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 AM
bbach
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushy
I too have a issue with starting.. IF I wait until the eng light goes out I have to crank it alot, if I start it right away it fires up and revs for a few micro secs.. jamie has been great with questions and answers, good to see that kind of customer service in this day and age
What I read from this thread is that Jamie is saying the it does not make any difference if you wait or not, the PC-V is on. However, most users are stating that their bikes start better if they start their bikes immediately and do not start well after waiting. I find that pretty interesting. I'm having a PC-V w/autotune installed later next week. Guess I'll see first hand how it works.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM
dabluesguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davewear
definately have noticed it fires up right away if i don't wait and turns over a few times before starting if i do wait.....
What he said.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:49 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick

I don't know of any data that gets transferred from the PCV to the ECM. What I believe is happening with the REvXtend issue is that in stock form it stops at 5K or thereabouts, and the limiter also kicks in at that point. My understanding is that the tach function is unaltered unless you have a flash performed at a Harley shop, or with one of the flash-based tuners (TTS, SEST, etc.) using a computer, and apparently the PCV intercepts and alters the rev-limiting signal from the PCV, yet the tach signal is not something the PCV can change.
If I'm mistakened I hope someone will correct me.
I've tuned quit a few PCIII on cabled bikes and you're right, it's not a problem. The PCV I had the problem with was on a '09 Road King, so yes, TBW. In stock form his bike hit the limiter right at 5500 PRM, with rev Xtend enabled it might be getting to 6000 to 6250 RPM, somewhere in that range, but the tach does stop at 5000 RPM. So that leaves me to believe that the Rev Xtend is running off the tach signal wire. It seams like the PCV is shutting the tach off at 5000 RPM's to fool the stock ECM into thinking that it's not reving higher, then the PCV is shutting it off at 6000 RPM's or so. Either way its a real pain in the ***, nothing worse than racing a guy and hitting your rev limiter sooner than expected, that puts him about half a second late in his shift. Problems solved though, I have a TTS on the way for him to take care of it. We'll run the TTS and the PCV both on is bike, use a MAP switch and run the PCV auto tune on one and a zero MAP on the other for the tuned MAP it'll have when I get done tuning it.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:20 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I've tuned quit a few PCIII on cabled bikes and you're right, it's not a problem. The PCV I had the problem with was on a '09 Road King, so yes, TBW. In stock form his bike hit the limiter right at 5500 PRM, with rev Xtend enabled it might be getting to 6000 to 6250 RPM, somewhere in that range, but the tach does stop at 5000 RPM. So that leaves me to believe that the Rev Xtend is running off the tach signal wire. It seams like the PCV is shutting the tach off at 5000 RPM's to fool the stock ECM into thinking that it's not reving higher, then the PCV is shutting it off at 6000 RPM's or so
The PC's strategy of driving the ignition, allowing us to actually adjust it, and also raising the rev limiter is actually pretty complex, it actually picks up from the crank signal which runs right thru the Power Commander. The tach wire is simply an output from the ECM.

To quote myself from from an earlier post in this thread:

"The PC III and PC-V read input channels from the ECM and use a microprocessor to interpret this data and in turn drive the injectors and igntion timing. They do not use sensor or signal offset as the original PC and PC II did previous to 2003. Due to specific strategies of the 08 and newer DBW ECM and where the tach signal picks up from, when RevXtend is enabled the tach will only read to 5K as above that the PC is driving the igntion."

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-21-2010, 04:31 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
The PC's strategy of driving the ignition, allowing us to actually adjust it, and also raising the rev limiter is actually pretty complex, it actually picks up from the crank signal which runs right thru the Power Commander. The tach wire is simply an output from the ECM.

To quote myself from from an earlier post in this thread:

"The PC III and PC-V read input channels from the ECM and use a microprocessor to interpret this data and in turn drive the injectors and igntion timing. They do not use sensor or signal offset as the original PC and PC II did previous to 2003. Due to specific strategies of the 08 and newer DBW ECM and where the tach signal picks up from, when RevXtend is enabled the tach will only read to 5K as above that the PC is driving the igntion."

Roger that, thanks Jamie.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

Great read, thanks for the info Jamie, now I feel like less of a dumb azz, I have a pc v on my 2010 SEUC. Dont usually ride hard, but on the rare occasion that I did, the tach would stop at 5000 rpm, but the motor was still pulling, and I didnt hit the rev-limiter. I wanted to post this question why? on the forum but never did. I had enough of the trained Harley techs at my local shop. I wasnt about to ask them the reason, even though they installed the PCV, because they couldnt tune a SEPT on the dyno.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:01 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by bbach
What I read from this thread is that Jamie is saying the it does not make any difference if you wait or not, the PC-V is on. However, most users are stating that their bikes start better if they start their bikes immediately and do not start well after waiting. I find that pretty interesting. I'm having a PC-V w/autotune installed later next week. Guess I'll see first hand how it works.
I'm changing my answer from earlier. I took the time to wait for the fuel to prime and the bike turns over 2 times while starting. If I hit the starter while the fuel pump is doing it's thing the bike starts up immediately. I verified the PCV has power the entire time no matter what method you choose.

Crazy ain't it... My bad.

lp

Old 10-21-2010, 07:32 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 08 Ultra SE3 I removed my PC5 and went with the MasterTune TTS....awsome power and smoothness, no vibration at 2200 RPM. Used the canned map that best fit my bike, you won't believe the performance and smoothness and now has the Harley idle !!