Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn: PC5 Users

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:07 PM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
This is also incorrect. The Power Commander works in conjunction with the ECM, any changes you make with the PC are above and beyond the ECM's normal operation.

I stand corrected! In self defense though, I did say if "I was wrong then I was wrong" and "am I miising something?" in other posts. Thank you for the clarification and setting me straight.

Nate

Old 09-15-2010, 06:24 PM
scottburns8ball
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bike takes a few cranks to fire up since putting the PCV on. I tried the way that has been discussed here, and it worked. Fired up immediately with no hesitation at all. Still haven't heard an actual "reason" why.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BAGGERNATE
Any way you slice it, the OEM ECM is out of the loop. Even with out AT the OEM O2 sensors are connected to the PCV via the ECM connecter removed from the OEM ECM and now plugged into the PCV. The original post said the PCV shut itself down after a 2 sec warm up and the OEM ECM would take over if bike not started in that 2 sec. My problem with that is how does the OEM ECM do anything at all if not plugged into anything. I have to think if the bike starts and runs at all, quick start or delayed a few secs, it's because the PCV is doing it's job. That little whine you hear, when the ignition is turned on, is the fuel injection system pressurising itself. The OEM ECM or the PCV control the air/fuel ratio to be injected into the cylinders. That's the way I understand it and if I'm wrong well then I'm wrong. Other than it's physically still being on the bike, the OEM ECM has no bearing on how you start the bike or how it runs.

Nate
Where did you get this information. You obviously did not install the PCV yourself

Old 09-15-2010, 06:40 PM
bmfinpcb
6th Gear

PappyUSMC,

Thanks for the post. I have also noticed some hard starts after installing my PCV. I will try starting right away and see if it is corrected.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jsciullo
Interesting! I just installed mine today and took it out for a ride. Rode like crap. Lots of vibration and more heat than the stock air filter and stock ECM. I was thinking that I needed a new map until I got home and noticed the rubber gasket that surrounds the AF cover came loose. I suspect that it got sucked into the air filter and blocked the air filter a bit. I also noticed that the check engine light came back on in a few seconds after the bike was started and then turned off. I reapplied the gasket and will use your advice when starting to see what happens.
Jim
no deed to keep the gasket on. Did you plug in the dummy sensors?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
MNrider
Tourer

Sounds like the dealer let the cat out of the bag. I can see it now. A recall for the compensator, unless you had a pcv installed of course. LOL

Old 09-16-2010, 03:58 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My dealer just disconnected the O2 wire's

and put dummy plugs on to cap the leads. PCV's don't use the O2 sensors but if you attach the auto tune then it has 1 or 2 of its own O2 sensors.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:23 PM
anonymous_1
Tourer

Originally Posted by lp
The two second thing was true with the PC III. Not so true with the PC-V.
The PC-V will remain on as long as you have the run/off switch at the run position.

So... if you turn the ignition switch to the on position and have the run/off switch in the run position, the PC-V will come on and never go off. You can wait as long as you want before starting the bike...

If you turn the ignition switch on and the run switch is in the off position the PC-V will come on and then go off in about 2 seconds.
As soon as you turn the run/off switch to run (which you have to do to start the bike) the PC-V comes on, initializes for a second and stays on.
So... if you are hitting the run switch and then immediately hitting the start button you could be starting your bike while the PC-V is still initializing...
Personally I think it is better to wait a second or two then start the bike, which is the total opposite of what the OP posted.

Again, the PC III would power on and then go off after the fuel circuit primed.
In that case you would start the bike as soon as you turned the run/off switch to run. PC-V...not so much.

lp
Wow, great information to know guys. I've got a PC III and never knew this. I am so glad I've found this forum. Now if I could just figure out why mine isn't running right I'd be set. Thanks guys.
-Jeramie

Old 10-20-2010, 09:38 AM
anonymous_1
Tourer

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Your HD dealer tech has provided absolutely incorrect information. The PC-V is powered thru the injector circuit and if the ignition switch and start button is pressed the unit is functioning. This can easily be verified by connecting to the software and viewing what the unit is doing and you also have access to the ECM channels right there as well. In fact not only does it offer fuel and igntion changes immediately, there is even a Start Up Fuel utility that allows you to add or remove fuel at crankover based on time or engine temp.

So is this still true for the PC-III? Do I need to start it right away? I asked the guy that has been tuning my bike and he said he'd never heard of this in any of the classes he'd been too. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:43 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous_1
So is this still true for the PC-III? Do I need to start it right away? I asked the guy that has been tuning my bike and he said he'd never heard of this in any of the classes he'd been too. Thanks for the input.
No, you do not need to start it immediately however it will not affect anything either way.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Quick Reply: Attn: PC5 Users