Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn: PC5 Users

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 AM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PappyUSMC
I am running PC5 without AT.

My bike does not have any sensors connected at all. PC5 handles it all.

Maybe it is a case of it happens to the PC5 without AT and not with AT.

Dont know.

Jamie would be a good one to chime in.

Any way you slice it, the OEM ECM is out of the loop. Even with out AT the OEM O2 sensors are connected to the PCV via the ECM connecter removed from the OEM ECM and now plugged into the PCV. The original post said the PCV shut itself down after a 2 sec warm up and the OEM ECM would take over if bike not started in that 2 sec. My problem with that is how does the OEM ECM do anything at all if not plugged into anything. I have to think if the bike starts and runs at all, quick start or delayed a few secs, it's because the PCV is doing it's job. That little whine you hear, when the ignition is turned on, is the fuel injection system pressurising itself. The OEM ECM or the PCV control the air/fuel ratio to be injected into the cylinders. That's the way I understand it and if I'm wrong well then I'm wrong. Other than it's physically still being on the bike, the OEM ECM has no bearing on how you start the bike or how it runs.

Nate

Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Conehead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine seems to start easier when I wait on the engine light to go out. One way may be to watch the PCV on start up and see if the lights go out after 2 seconds? We certainly need Jamie to chime in on this one, someone wake him up.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:58 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

The two second thing was true with the PC III. Not so true with the PC-V.
The PC-V will remain on as long as you have the run/off switch at the run position.

So... if you turn the ignition switch to the on position and have the run/off switch in the run position, the PC-V will come on and never go off. You can wait as long as you want before starting the bike...

If you turn the ignition switch on and the run switch is in the off position the PC-V will come on and then go off in about 2 seconds.
As soon as you turn the run/off switch to run (which you have to do to start the bike) the PC-V comes on, initializes for a second and stays on.
So... if you are hitting the run switch and then immediately hitting the start button you could be starting your bike while the PC-V is still initializing...
Personally I think it is better to wait a second or two then start the bike, which is the total opposite of what the OP posted.

Again, the PC III would power on and then go off after the fuel circuit primed.
In that case you would start the bike as soon as you turned the run/off switch to run. PC-V...not so much.

lp

Last edited by lp; 09-15-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:09 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by BAGGERNATE
Any way you slice it, the OEM ECM is out of the loop. Even with out AT the OEM O2 sensors are connected to the PCV via the ECM connecter removed from the OEM ECM and now plugged into the PCV. The original post said the PCV shut itself down after a 2 sec warm up and the OEM ECM would take over if bike not started in that 2 sec. My problem with that is how does the OEM ECM do anything at all if not plugged into anything. I have to think if the bike starts and runs at all, quick start or delayed a few secs, it's because the PCV is doing it's job. That little whine you hear, when the ignition is turned on, is the fuel injection system pressurising itself. The OEM ECM or the PCV control the air/fuel ratio to be injected into the cylinders. That's the way I understand it and if I'm wrong well then I'm wrong. Other than it's physically still being on the bike, the OEM ECM has no bearing on how you start the bike or how it runs.

Nate
The OEM ECM is not out of the loop. The PC-V is piggy-backed to the OEM ECM. The PCV's job is to modify the signals going to (maybe from) the ECM. Point is, the ECM is still in there doing work...

That said, once you install a Power Commander, your bike will not start until the PC is powered up and initialized. This was a problem with the PC III. It would not stay on unless the fuel circuit was up. Which lead to several seconds of your starter running while the PC III came back up and initialized.

lp

Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Eric Moore
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had no issues with eather the pc I got both 1 on the softail 1 on the touring bike..

Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by PappyUSMC
Here is an excerpt from the https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post7272270 thread.

If you are using a Power Commander....

When you start your bike, do not wait for it to finish whining before hitting the ignition. Apparently, if the bike is turned on.. the PC5 warms up for 2 seconds then powers down. If you start the bike after that 2 seconds, you are starting up under the ECM with the original fuel/air mixture. Causing the bike to not start right, causing excess wear and tear on the starter compensator or starter clutch assembly.

According to the tech at HD, turn the bike on, then immediately start it. No warm up nesscary. Ensures the PC5 is active and the bike starts with proper mixture.

Makes sense to me.
Your HD dealer tech has provided absolutely incorrect information. The PC-V is powered thru the injector circuit and if the ignition switch and start button is pressed the unit is functioning. This can easily be verified by connecting to the software and viewing what the unit is doing and you also have access to the ECM channels right there as well. In fact not only does it offer fuel and igntion changes immediately, there is even a Start Up Fuel utility that allows you to add or remove fuel at crankover based on time or engine temp.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by BAGGERNATE

Nate
This is also incorrect. The Power Commander works in conjunction with the ECM, any changes you make with the PC are above and beyond the ECM's normal operation.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Your HD dealer tech has provided absolutely incorrect information.
I'm shocked! Shocked to hear this!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:17 PM
woodhog17
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After changing to SE255 cams and getting a new map for my PC-v (no AT) from Jamie @ Fuelmoto, I experienced rough starting (took a couple of seconds and a few cranks).

Talked to Jamie and he recommended starting it immediately after turning on the ignition. Something about the fuel pump ...?

I tried it and it worked. Starts up right away without cranking over a few times first.
So, now I turn on the ignition (I never turn off the kill switch) and hit the starter right away. No problems since.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel Moto to the Rescue, As always Jamie, thats for clearing the air.

And if I can say so myself, why not the next time this comes up just go straight to Fuel Moto for the answer's?

I know Harley engineerd and built the bike's but these guys know how to make them run, Period.

Quick Reply: Attn: PC5 Users