Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley workers OK new labor contract

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My company is looking to wage concessions on our next contract; they want to change from a pension to a cash balance for retirement, they want at least a $3.00/hour cut to maintain existing numbers. For the present they have a 1.5-1 manager/engineer to the plant union workers, they continue to hire more salaried people as we are told to expect layoffs go figure.

This is all a big game for upper management to see how far we will squeeze.

Had the MoCo left Wisconsin their sales would have dropped in the toilet and they would be with Indian and the others O.O.B.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:52 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Everybody thinks they are worth what they are paid if not more. In most cases it's just not true. I used to do contract work in the GM Fairfax Plant here in Kansas City. I talked to a woman that installed seat belts all day long with a pneumatic ratchet. She was pulling down around $25 an hour plus benefits. Now, do you really think that job is worth $25 an hour? I think not. It's the same at the Harley plants. The majority of it is not skilled labor. It's repetitive jobs doing the same thing all day long. It's time it came to an end.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:16 PM
rdoucet
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems that this post has turned from a congratulations to Harley-Davidson for staying in Wisconsin to a union/non-union debate.

I have been a member of a Union in Chicago for the past 19 years. Unions were formed in the reasoning that their is strength in numbers. Unions have fought for a five day work week, overtime after 40 hours (unless your salary), two days off, healthcare, pensions, ect...

Whatever the unions have fought for since their existence the non-union worker has benefited from.

If we were not in a recession right now, and times were like they were a few years back, this would not even be an issue. However, the economy is horrible, jobs are scarce and retirements are drying up fast.

My union has made many deals with building owners to keep its members working. We voted and passed a deal that members would take 15 days off a year for the next 3 years; in exchange, management would freeze current salaries but not lay off employees without a 90 day notice.

Does the above sound fair - I think so and I am union......

Difficult times call for difficult decisions; I would much rather take 15 days off a year and have a pay freeze then sit at home all day looking at a tv that won't work because the electric bill can't be paid.

Morale of story - Union or non-union, employee or management, we are all in this together. If we start playing one against the other we accomplish nothing! The only way we will start to recover is if we come together as a country, put our own feelings aside and unite as one so our economy can grow again.

If you have a job/career right now, do what you can to preserve it because nothing is guaranteed. If you are searching for a job, I hope you get it and you will..

Good luck to all and ride safe

Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 PM
toothdocthc
Account Deactivated At Users Request
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Guess some people decided to skip the part in my post about HD's $21 million in profits in the 2nd quarter this year, does that sound like bankrupt conditions to you? Oops maybe HD should not have bought MV A and had to pay to get rid of it.......................that certainly would have saved the company from bankruptcy and maybe the workers pay scale!

Again I get drawn into these stupid debates...........

No one said the company owed the workers anything but the company feels it deserves good work from its workers. I never said the union was a cure all either. In the old days, many companies treated their workers like crap not to mention working conditions were unsafe at many places. OSHA and the EPA helped provide protection for workers health and safety as well as the environment, these things are non existent in Mexico and China to name a few. Unions were formed to help workers gain better pay and working conditions. In the days of the AMERICAN DREAM (long gone now), workers gave a fair days work for a fair days pay. Corporate Greed among management and shareholders some of you feel is acceptable, so why is it so terrible for the workers to dream about a slice of the big pie? Ya know like good pay and benefits even at a reduced rate from management? I have no problem making concessions to help save my job, have done so for many years now. I just do not agree with concessions when companies are still making money hand over fist and the execs and managers keep getting fatter on their pieces of the pie, all at the expense of the blue collar workers!
You don't know what you're talking bout. check your facts before spouting off about profit.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 PM
CWO4
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see this as a union success story. The union bargained with management for the best deal they could for their workers. The workers, realizing the real threat of losing their jobs, voted for and accepted the deal. MoCo stays put, most of the workers remain employed at a livable wage. In seven years the economy might be recovered enough for new negotiations giving back what the workers lost.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:20 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by toothdocthc
You don't know what you're talking bout. check your facts before spouting off about profit.
UM HEY TOOHDOCTHC, I PUT UP THE LINK DIRECT FROM THE WALL STREET JOURNAL ABOUT $21 Million in 2nd QUARTER PROFITS for HD, I AM SURE THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! I DID NOT MAKE UP THE INFORMATION I ONLY PASSED IT ON! MAYBE THE MO CO DISPUTES THESE FIGURES AS YOU DO, FIGURES DON'T LIE BUT LIARS FIGURE.............NOW GO FIGURE..............

Old 09-14-2010, 07:35 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by toothdocthc
Maybe YOU could tell us about profit. I'd like to be educated.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:44 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Perfect! Now would be a good time for HD to go ahead and plan their move.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

$21 million profit isn't that much for a large corporation, what is the percent of profit for sales or investment. If shareholders are only making 2 or 3 percent on their investment they'll sell all their shares& the MOCO goes under. It takes money to make money, if they don't have investors to back them they go out of business. MOCO can't go to their suppliers & say sell me your parts or raw materials & we'll pay you for them when we sell the motorcycle, just like they can't tell the workers to work & you'll get paid when we sell the bike you built. It takes money to make money, & that money is always at risk, just like the GM shareholders who got squat when GM went under & had to get bailed out. If you can't make more money investing & risking your money in a business you might as well put it in the bank & draw 2 or 3 percent. It's just like everyone thinking the rich can pay all the taxes, but if they have to pay a 80% tax rate like some do in Europe, why should they bother to risk $10 million to make $500K & give the government $400K & only make $100K. They'll just sit on their money & not invest it in businesses & then what do you think will happen to this GREAT COUNTRY? By the way I'm not rich, I drive a truck for a living, but I'm tired of the government spending all of my kid's money, because that's who's going to have to pay for all of this B.S. that's going on now.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 PM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by jandt
wage freeze!!!!! i just read an article that stated some workers are making 30 + dollars an hour. It didnt go into detail how many workers total, but holly s**t. 30 bucks an hour for assembly work or baby sitting an automated machine. Over paid in my opinion.
Must be reading one of them Conservative Rags Huh!
I just read an article in a Liberal Rag that stated some CEO's make up to 500 times what the Guy on the assembly line makes
Hypocrites and Double Standards
Ya Know like Free-Market and Wall Street Bail-Out

Quick Reply: Harley workers OK new labor contract