Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley workers OK new labor contract

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Ridinglow
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy they are staying. I can' imaginge how I would feel if they went to Mexico like so many other Wi companies. I'm also a polaris owner and upset about their move out of Mn. As for unions, I'd much rather see the worker get the money instead of the stockholders. I don't see unions as strong as they used to be, where they were able to protect poor unproductive workers. I have been in two unrelated unions and thankful to be in both of them. They were small in number and very helpful in keeping our wages appropriate. Bottom line is, we sure were not getting rich, but at least we were able to earn a living. I don't thing unions workers are as bad as some people make them out to be. All the union workers I know work as hard as any worker as a matter of pride in ther job.

Last edited by Ridinglow; 09-13-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 PM
bennenrkc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When did we as Americans become entitled to a certain job, a certain salary, certain benefits, certain livelihood without the requirement to work/compete for it. If the employees really feel that they were shafted, or are not earning what they are worth, let them go and find the job elsewhere that pays them what they feel they are worth.

None of us like to do the same work for less however, if that is what it is worth, that is what we get. The manufacturer doesnt really have the ability to choose what price they are willing to sell it at, or how much they are going to make off of it. If they had that right we would be paying well over $50,000 for a bike, heck they are owed it, right????,

No the manufacturer is going to set the price at a level that is both profitable and meets their minimum requirements that they are willing to make based off of how many we the consumer are willing to buy.

If they cant sell it an be profitable they don't get to turnaround and group together to make money, that would be collusion, which is illegal. How is it different for employees to collude to raise prices when the companies themselves are not able to, seems a litttle unfair.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
First of all, the "friendlier" state you refer to is in China or Mexico. In addition to slave wages, large manufacturers also like "right to pollute" states. It's so much cheaper to chrome (nickle plate) metal pieces when you don't have the EPA on your back.

Do you want to have to constantly rebid for your job, what ever it is? How about if Disney World starts staffing with short term Chinese labor at 50 cents an hour plus room and board? Who cares when they kill a few tourists with lax safety and mainanance. With all the money they can save they can afford the law suits.

For a fact, having been in a multitude of manufacturing environments, I don't recall meeting many management types that understand how to do anything resembling run a profitable business. I've really been wondering lately what the per capita sales are like for H-D between right to work and union states.
Did you actually take the time to think through your comments before you posted them?

There are plenty of friendly states in the great country we live in. Just look BMW and the state of South Carolina, or Florida with Wal Mart distribution centers. One day the union protectors will be forced to realize how they have actually cost themselves jobs due to their tactics. I am sure the UAW is proud of the unemployment rate in Michigan right now, and they are some of the main reasons for it. The union leaders should take your political contribution money and use it for fighting the EPA instead of buying favor with the political candidates they support. Then some of the outlandish requirements for manufactoring can be relaxed and make it pratical for a business to manufactor in the United States.

In regards to your comments about Disney World and Chinese workers, I will not even indulge that ignorance. That statement demostrates just how simple minded you actually are.

Management has no reason to understand how to actually do the physical aspect of manufactoring what they manage, that is what they have you for, just as you have no idea how to manage an organizaiton nor understand the basic principle of profitability.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well....only time will tell.
This weekend is the fall ride in Tomahawk, WI....been going there for years.
The Moco has always had a weekend open house at the Tomahawk Plant, a demo fleet and a party at Sara Park.
I can understand downsizing things because of the economy....but I see nothing on the HD website about the Open House at the plant.
According to my dealer...the plant is only open on Friday.
To me.....that just sucks BIG TIME!!!!

Old 09-13-2010, 06:10 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
Did you actually take the time to think through your comments before you posted them?

There are plenty of friendly states in the great country we live in. Just look BMW and the state of South Carolina, or Florida with Wal Mart distribution centers. One day the union protectors will be forced to realize how they have actually cost themselves jobs due to their tactics. I am sure the UAW is proud of the unemployment rate in Michigan right now, and they are some of the main reasons for it. The union leaders should take your political contribution money and use it for fighting the EPA instead of buying favor with the political candidates they support. Then some of the outlandish requirements for manufactoring can be relaxed and make it pratical for a business to manufactor in the United States.

In regards to your comments about Disney World and Chinese workers, I will not even indulge that ignorance. That statement demostrates just how simple minded you actually are.

Management has no reason to understand how to actually do the physical aspect of manufactoring what they manage, that is what they have you for, just as you have no idea how to manage an organizaiton nor understand the basic principle of profitability.
I want to make sure I'm understanding something correctly here. You want the government to "fight the EPA"? Why, so pollution can be dumped in rivers and lakes, and smokestacks can further deteriorate the already polluted air and ozone??

Old 09-13-2010, 06:20 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Same old comments, same old stupidity and reasoning. No wonder USA is loosing the middle class. I wont argue anymore, some people just wont listen or understand. As a long time union worker, I give up trying to convince those that do not understand.

Let me close with these comments, has the HD management team taken any concessions in pay or benefits? Have they given up profit sharing or stock options? Any givebacks were already reinstated just like at FORD MOTOR. Corporate greed is all that is going on here. Funny how HD made $71.2 million in the second quarter of 2010 BUT STILL LOST MONEY AND NEEDS TO BUST THE WORKING MAN!! Don't take my word for it, try the link below to the WALL STREET J!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...550549290.html

Oh lets not forget HD buys MV AUGUSTA, then pays to dump it! Great managment decisions there! http://motorsportsnewswire.wordpress...gusta-0810106/

Last edited by 103Eagle; 09-13-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:35 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the workers do not like the deal "their union" negotiated for them, they should leave and find a job they like. They do have that right, no one is holding them hostage or has encased them as slaves, nor are they indentured servants to HD.

I still can not see how some people can say they got screwed? IMO, getting screwed would have been losing all their jobs, and becoming unemployed because HD Corp relocated to another area.

In regards to my EPA comments from earlier, the unions should take the money they spend on political contributions trying to buy elections and invest that money into creating methods or equipment to help bring manufactoring back and ease the requirments of the EPA that people have said have driven away certain industries.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

[quote=2WheelGlider;7280982]If the workers do not like the deal "their union" negotiated for them, they should leave and find a job they like. They do have that right, no one is holding them hostage or has encased them as slaves, nor are they indentured servants to HD.

Yes by all means, give up the job you like because the company wants more profits but refuses to share them with the workers that make it possible. Lets see, decent job and pay = can buy Harley and other nice stuff. Lets quit and goto a right to work state, take at least a 50% pay cut, and try to buy that HD or house or food for that matter!

I guess trying to make a decent living and provide for my family makes me a slave................

Old 09-13-2010, 06:57 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Do the union haters here think that if union workers takes a 75% cut in pay and benefits, that Harley will drop the price of a new bike 1 penny? They will just take more non- union money from all you know it all's, and laugh all the way to the bank.,,

Old 09-13-2010, 07:19 PM
toothdocthc
Account Deactivated At Users Request
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I too am happy they are staying but the contract they signed is ****. 7 year wage freeze???? I'm tired of all these companies taking advantage of the middle class. They're just following in the big 3's footsteps of screwing the workers while the shareholders and white shirts reap the huge rewards. I'll bet my paycheck the price of the bikes won't come down.
company owes them nothing, what they gonna get if they bankrupt the company. I think a half a loaf of bread is better than nothing. If they don't want to work, I am sure there are 100 persons waiting for the chance to have a job for every disgruntled worker. Walk away if you don't like it.

Quick Reply: Harley workers OK new labor contract