Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I like Road Kings, but I don't tour-some questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 PM
kamut
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I like Road Kings, but I don't tour-some questions

I am going to get a big twin this winter, moving up from a Sportster. I started looking at Dynas. I like some Softails for their looks more than their ride.

I have always loved the look of the Road King. However, I mostly ride 45 minutes or less at at time-just around the town/county. Maybe I would be inspired to do more on the King.

Do y'all think this is too big a bike for what I do? I'm not worried about being physically able to handle the bike. I'm more concerned about it being cumbersome to ride around town. If you have a touring model, is it a drag for going around town or is it okay?

Old 09-13-2010, 02:27 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't gone on an long distance rides with my King, it is however my daily driver. Love it, the saddle bags come in handy.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:34 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

A Road King is perfect for any type of riding. The only drag is that it doesn't look good without bags, but I don't pull my bags anyway. I always have something with me, whether it's an extra shirt, gloves, water, soda, whatever. I liked my Road King a lot. In fact, if I had been thinking straight, I still would have one instead of my Street Glide...

The rubber mounted motor is smoother in my opinion than the counterbalanced rigid-mounted motors on Softails.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:36 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of my rides are less than two hours. I think the Road King is great around town and on the county highways. If I ever want to do some long distance touring, I may buy myself an Ultra.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Will CF
Cruiser

The King is an Extremely versatile bike and is nible enough to ride around town as well as take on a long tour !! I use mine for both styles of riding all the time with no regrets...

Old 09-13-2010, 02:40 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just the ride of the heavier stronger bike is worth using it short, medium or long rides. A little hard to manage in tight lots and some inclines but overall wouldn't trade my King for anything but maybe a Ultra.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
spacedog
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did what you are considering, moved to the King after 3 years on the Sportster. I started doing more longer rides with the local HOG chapter and the saddlebags are a plus. What ever you get you will want bags and a windshield. The ride on the King is great, I live in a small town so that is not a problem, I have been on interstate 81 a few times in good and bad weather and never had a problem at 75 or 80. It is heavy at a little over 800lbs. Get what you feel comfortable on, after all you are the only one you have to please. Go for a test ride on a few. It is nice to be the King.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I go on one or two trips a year with my Road King otherwise it does short local rides, errands or commutes me to work. Great bike for anything I've needed. I just want to find a way to make it look good without the saddlebags.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:57 PM
mja52403
Cruiser

I couldn't agree more with what others are saying. My first bike was a 05 883C and after 2.5 years I upgraded to the Road King. If I had known how easy it would be to ride, I would have started with the RK rather than the Sporty. It is very easy to ride, both around town and on the highway. Comfort will blow you away. A friend of mine bought his first bike last year, and Ultra and now he wishes he had gotten something a little smaller like a RK or Fat Boy because most of his rides are to work and back and he thinks he has more bike than he needs, but still enjoys it regardless.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Scooter53e
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden mine all over the desert Southwest from Southern California. Always comfortable, nimble, and fun. Even rode from San Diego to the Utah National Parks on the I-15 slab, eight hours, no problem. No, its not an Ultra, but there is a reason they call it the King! Versatility!

Quick Reply: I like Road Kings, but I don't tour-some questions