Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just switched to Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

so you prime the filter and then turn it horizontal to attach it therefore spilling half the oil out all over the bike.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:28 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I'm glad you said it....Maybe if you're fast eh?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
so you prime the filter and then turn it horizontal to attach it therefore spilling half the oil out all over the bike.
You fill it up maybe half way, I have not spilled a drop doing it that way. Does it hurt not to prime it, I doubt it. No one that I know primes auto oil filters and the engine last (most of the time) thousands of miles.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM
lipster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always prime the filter, and also pre-warm the oil, as everyone knows that starting an engine with cold oil puts a lot of wear on everything internal.

Lord, I thought it was just the BMW forums. I remember one thread over there that argued for days about how long to let the oil drain out so that all the dirty oil was drained. Several riders thought it should sit overnight. I am not making this up.

If the oil was that dirty, it should be changed weekly, I guess.
Oh, one guy couldn't ride that weekend he said, cuz if he did, he would be 100 miles over his oil change interval, and the dealer couldn't get him in til monday.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:03 PM
al baehr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[
Oh, one guy couldn't ride that weekend he said, cuz if he did, he would be 100 miles over his oil change interval, and the dealer couldn't get him in til monday.[/QUOTE]

haha that has to be one of the craziest things I ever read. I am still laughing

Old 09-14-2010, 12:22 PM
lipster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by al baehr
[
Oh, one guy couldn't ride that weekend he said, cuz if he did, he would be 100 miles over his oil change interval, and the dealer couldn't get him in til monday.

haha that has to be one of the craziest things I ever read. I am still laughing[/quote]

Well, there is ****, and then there is ****!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:36 PM
BikerRoy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey carpetride, it isn't that bad. You may spill a bit if you over fill it. I use one of those oil change funnels from HD to catch any that my possibly spill. Or just hold an old rag or something underneath (accidents do happen). I normally fill the filter up, and it will soak it in. when it look about 1/2 full, I put it on. Should not spill a drop. hope that helped.

Last edited by BikerRoy; 09-14-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:05 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BikerRoy
Hey carpetride, it isn't that bad. You may spill a bit if you over fill it. I use one of those oil change funnels from HD to catch any that my possibly spill. Or just hold an old rag or something underneath (accidents do happen). I normally fill the filter up, and it will soak it in. when it look about 1/2 full, I put it on. Should not spill a drop. hope that helped.
Then your not really filling the filter are you.

maybe the best thing to do would be to lay the bike on it's left side and attach the properly filled filter. Less chance of a spill and less chance of the motor seizing up from a lack of oil pressure at start up.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

I am no longer running Amsoil and now with Mobil 1 V-Twin with a quieter and smoother engine.

I don't think I'd push 10k miles on an air cooled bike with any brand.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Ran out of Amsoil at last service and in a pinch went with HD Syn3. Noise got louder and temps went up 5-10 degrees. Can't wait to get Amsoil back in the bike. Best oil and filiter I've used.

Quick Reply: Just switched to Amsoil