Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

...........ur bike trailers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Steamchicken
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...........ur bike trailers...

looking for ideas about bike open or closed trailers...

any better than others in ur opinion?

any pics?

thx

Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are looking at open trailers, I would consider Aluma Trailers. They are made well and light weight. A friend of mine has the Aluma MC210 for two bikes. It only weighs about 500 lbs and has a ramp that slides underneath out of the way. also has a stone guard. He raves about how easy it is to pull two bikes.

I just sold a 6X10 V-nose enclosed Trailer made by Carry-On. I bought it at Trailersforless in Newnan Ga. Great trailer for the money. I paid 3k for it new. Just sold it for 2500.00. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Beer30
Intermediate

I used to have a Harbor Freight cheepo trailer. It was like $250 plus the plywood. I liked it because it folded in half and I could store it against the wall in my garage--that was a big factor for me. It pulled just fine, although it did have a lot of "flex" to it.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:25 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

Large wheels are better than small, easier to tow and fewer issues with tires and bearings.

As far as open vs. closed that is a decision you will have to make yourself. What else will you use the trailer for? Open trailers tow easier and you can get by with a smaller trailer for the same number of bikes. Enclosed trailers offer more security, protection from the elements.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

If you are trying to decide open or closed, I'd recommend closed. I've done both. Closed keeps the bike cleaner and safe from road debris (stones and rocks kicked up from your car/truck tires pulling the trailer) while traveling. And there's secure space for extra gear. Also a closed trailer can be used for other hauling chores. A negative is that they are more expensive and harder on gas mileage.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Tanker2
Road Captain
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

I used a 5x10 open trailer from H&H. Has steel sides and then I built a fairing to protect by bike. Use a aluminum ramp. Didn't want to drag the upright ramp against the wind and I wanted the ramp longer. Made a tailgate for it and hooked the ramp down to the floor. Also bought a wheel dock chock from Wheel Dock. You can load bike by yourself with it. Whole setup works great. I pull it with a GMC Acadia and didn't want the extra weight of an enclosed trailer.I'll try to upload a picture.

Last edited by Tanker2; 10-14-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser

I have an enclosed trailer from Iron Horse. Its very light, aerodynamic and easily holds two bikes. Im not a huge trailer fan but they have their place. Use it mostly to drop off my Guzzi's at a dealer for service (3 hrs away) and have been using it for rallies when I camp out in my Oz-Tent which is too big to fit on my bike. Check them out:

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/?gc...FVw65QoddB-bLA

Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 AM
podrieger
Intermediate

I picked up a used Kendon single bike trailer from Craig's list. We went form Fl to Mi for July. It towed outstanding even when some jerk tried to run us off the road in Tenn. I'm towing it with a Lincoln MKX which is similar to an Edge. The previous owner towed it with an '85 Tempo 4 cyl..

It did reduce gas mileage about 2 mpg. I agree enclosed is better but you have cost, reduced fuel economy and really need a truck to pull it as people have a tendency to really load them up.

I can always wash the bike. Plus the Kendon folds up against the wall in my garage and takes little space.

Phil

Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wife and I picked up a 2 place Kendon trailer and love it. It stores every easily and tows perfect with a single bike or with both on it.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both - they both get used for other things, as well. The open trailer is a converted double jetski trailer. I extended the frame 18", decked it with 2x6s, and changed the axle and springs to a 3500 lb cap. from the 1800 lb originals. Add two wheel chocks and eight 1/2" eyebolts and you are good to go. It rarely gets used for motorcycles, but it's handy if I need to get both bikes serviced and am dropping them off by myself.

The enclosed is a 6x14' V-nose. It was specificly built for my model airplane hobby, and has a large door on each side as well as two on the back. If I have to move a bike a long distance in poor weather, I empty out the model stuff and put one bike in it. Used it to haul the wife's 2010 SG 250 miles each way to Corbin last December. Had to trailer, as she was unsafe on the stock seat. That trip goes up I5 through some of the worst fog areas in the nation, and we were staying overnight in Gilroy. Enclosed gives great protection.

We ride our bikes in all kinds of weather, but sometimes it just makes sense to trailer. If you have to get two bikes somewhere by yourself, if you need to transport a broke down/wrecked bike, or if you want to have your bike, RV and kids all in the same place on vacation, a trailer comes in handy.

Open trailers are cheaper, tow easier, and you can get to the bike better. You can transport two baggers on a 6x10' single axle open trailer. Enclosed trailers are heavier, and even if you manage to shoehorn two into a 6x10, you are pushing the load limit. A 7x12+ tandem axle is far better.

It depends on how you will use the trailer as to what you should get. For short hauls, HF has 4x8 trailers with 12" tires with 1790lb capacity (http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...res-94564.html) for $400. Adda sheet of 3/4" ply and a $40 chock (http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-96349.html) and you are good to go. Need to haul two cross-country behind the motorhome? That costs a bit more....

Quick Reply: ...........ur bike trailers...