Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Layed my bike down at a stop sign

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Layed my bike down at a stop sign

Dropped my RKC about 4 years ago, was so pissed, just reached down and picked it right back up, musta been the adrenalin !

Old 04-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two kinds of riders, those who have dropped their bikes and those who will drop their bikes. Probably a 99% / 1% split. For some reason, it seems to always happen at the most embarassing time.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:36 AM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have dropped mine 3 times. Twice while riding 2up. Once while riding in the "Ride Like A Pro Class". Don't look down, Don't touch front Brake in the last few rolling feet, and Don't turn the wheel. Dropped for the last time last Sunday at 4 way stop. Blind right side. Looked left before completly stopped. Wife and I were completing a 1006 mile ride from last Thursday to Sunday. Had a great time and was really feeling comfortable. Saddle bags full, Tour pack full and luggage bag on Top of Tour Pack was full. Felt like an idiot again. Got it up drove off and glad no one knew me in that part of the state. Damn Tired of dropping it.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Same thing happened to me this past Tuesday. I just finished eating lunch and was leaving a strip mall. Stopped at the ramp leading to the street and it had a down slope. When I stopped, I put my feet down, but I did not anticipate the extra inch or two of reach that was needed to balance the bike. Before my feet was flat on the asphalt, the bike was at the angle of no return. Laid her out nice and easy on the crash bars and the foot boards.

I used a variation that is described in http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html.

Like you I realized some fuel spilled, I think it came from the overflow line by the gas cap. Since the bike was almost flat and my tank was 3/4 full, the fuel went to the top of the gas cap and traveled to the overflow drain line that leads to the bottom of the bike.

Good thing both of you are OK. It happens to all of us. Makes you realize you must be always alert & anticipate hazards when riding a bike.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-29-2007, 01:24 AM
nuklhd
Advanced

Came close to doing this last week as well, you will look back in time and laugh about. You know, sh** like this happens, no big deal, pride will come back and life goes on. Like said before it will happen regardless. Deep breath, go ride.... Grin ear to ear you have the ultimate machine HD.

Mike

Old 04-29-2007, 01:58 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I highly recommend the Ride Like a Pro IV video also.

Ride Like a Pro

Really good info including low speed maneuvers and picking your bike up by yourself. My only problem is, I have been trying to practice doing everything the "right" way like in the video. Therefore, I have recently dropped mine twice!! Both times I was trying to make a very small diameter turn without dragging my feet. It really doesn't do any damage except a little scratch on the underside of the engine bars and saddle bag bars. Not noticeable unless you get down under the bike and look up. The first time, nothing leaked, that second time it did. The second time the tank was much more full. I am going to tie-wrap some pipe insulation on the bars and practice in a parking lot. It is fairly easy to pick the bike up by myself using the technique shown in the video.

Dave.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:12 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Pawnbroker

I highly recommend the Ride Like a Pro IV video also.

Ride Like a Pro

Really good info including low speed maneuvers and picking your bike up by yourself. My only problem is, I have been trying to practice doing everything the "right" way like in the video. Therefore, I have recently dropped mine twice!! Both times I was trying to make a very small diameter turn without dragging my feet. It really doesn't do any damage except a little scratch on the underside of the engine bars and saddle bag bars. Not noticeable unless you get down under the bike and look up. The first time, nothing leaked, that second time it did. The second time the tank was much more full. I am going to tie-wrap some pipe insulation on the bars and practice in a parking lot. It is fairly easy to pick the bike up by myself using the technique shown in the video.

Dave.
It is a great video but I am not sure if they cover the use of rear brake pressure in slow speed manuevers or not. I have lent out my video so I can't check. I feather the clutch and apply rear brake pressure working the bike against the brake and it works like a charm at keeping you upright in "U" turns, circles both left and right and slow speed. The main thing is to keep your head and eyes up, looking where you want to go. If you look down that's where you will end up.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:26 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

ORIGINAL: scooterman
I dropped mine yesterday and had to use a come along to get it back up.
You need to have someone teach you how to lift a downed motorcycle.
Butt on the seat, grab, and push with the legs....... with a slight lifting, using the arms.

Check here...... http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html
Your handlebars should be turned the opposite way the bike fell, so if it fell on the jiffy stand side then crank your bars all the way to the right and lift the bike and it will go up fairly easy since you are not fighting the front wheel, instead it rolls with the front wheel and helps get the bike up.Watcheda guy do it with my RK and it went back up pretty easy, I couldn't believe it.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:26 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

He covers exactly what you said in the video. Look where you want to go (therefore don't look down), drag the rear brake, use the "friction zone" with the clutch and don't touch the front brake. He says that if you use the front brake when slow maneuvering you will go down like a magnet to the ground.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:09 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: soos

ORIGINAL: harley0711

This post has been kicking around for awhile now and I did post back in sept - just had a friend drop his bike at a stop = He has the habit (like a lot of riders) stop with right foot on brake and lean left / left foot on the ground.... If you think about the mechanics of this kind of stop - brake, lean, rest on left foot.... everytime you stop the bike leans left. My friend boot laces were too long and had somehow got wrapped around the shift lever - came to a stop, leaned left - however, this time his boot was tied to the shift lever - well, the bike was leaned left and just continued that way straght to the ground... Just a habit - So, if possible, change habit to stop with final braking down with hand brake and both feet going out with bike level - if something happens, gravel, shoe laces or what ever, Maybe the other foot with bike level can save a fall - ya, nothing is for sure but if you always stop and lean left - its too late if you can't get a good foot hold...

Actually they way your friend stops, right foot on brake, left on the ground is the procedure taught to MotoCops. You can request a very informative read by email from this email address MotorLessons@Ricochet.com <MotorLessons@Ricochet.com> and just ask for his publication (I am sorry, I don't know his name). He emails it to you free of charge. It's worth it.
actually for tactical reasons that has changed.... right foot down, left foot up... because if you have to come off the bike quick your doing it out of traffic, we get off the scoot on the high side...

but the way to do it like stated by i believe Bryan.... left foot down, right foot brake.....do not use front brake.... you should not be leaning the bike either way... ummmmm ????? practice slow riding by using your front brake, then go to the rear brake...you will see quickly that using the rear gives u better control...

cant say it enough.... friction zone (grey) and throttle, while using rear brake creates control that will amaze you....

another trick is when making slow tight turns, if you find yourself not looking where you should, bite your shirt with your teeth as far as you can to the left or right.... this will force you to look where you are supposed too...