Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Layed my bike down at a stop sign

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:42 AM
HDHoosier
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Layed my bike down at a stop sign

We had our first similar mishap a week ago. We turned onto a country road that is blacktop but they had resealed it and used a sort of tiny pea gravel. I knew I didn't want to ride the 5 miles or so on that surface so stopped at a pull off only 75 yards or so up the road, turned around and started back out, up a hump, turning left and the front tire slipped on the small gravel. Didn't go over really far, the crash bar caught on the hump. My wife just stepped off but I don't even remember righting the bike, it seemed like it was just a reaction. Stuff happens, live, learn and think ahead!

Old 09-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear you and the Mrs. were not hurt. My wife and I ride 2 up often and I notice towards the end of the day, I get "tipsy" at stop signs. I am 6'2" and have no issues reaching the ground, but the fatigue and the extra weight gets to me. I haven't found a solution to resolve this so I just make sure I stop quickly (instead of slow rolling) and plant both feet ASAP.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:45 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

Almost happened to me the other day! Like has already been said, be careful where you put your feet down. I set my boot down on the road surface the other day in the grease strip at center lane and even though I was wearing my Redwing boots with the rubber soles my foot slipped about 4 inches before it caught. This has happened more than once at the same intersection! I intend to avoid that section like the plague from now on.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Roadie 49
Cruiser

Don't feel bad,I dropped my bike once in a parking lot.
It was an insurance companies lot. I had to go back inside and
get an agent to help me pick it up.
LOL He had just sold me a policy on the bike.
[ talk about feeling stupid]
First drop in ten years, and it had to happen then.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:46 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

When stopping the last 10 feet or so straighten up the bike and turn the handlebars straight ahead, release the front brake use only rear brake AND look straight ahead into the intersection ( not at the ground)!! Right before the bike is stopped, if you look slightly to the left, the bikes weight will be on the left side! If you look slightly to the right, the bikes weight will be on the right side. With a passenger I try to always be looking straight ahead so the weight is over the bikes center.
If you want to stop with your right foot ON the rear brake, use your front and rear brakes to slow down, downshift ending in first. and then just before your stoped, look slightly off to the left. Put your left foot down. The bikes weight is slightly on the left side so your left foot holds the bike up and yur right foot is on the rear brake.. To take off, give it some gas let out the clutch and release the rear brake, lift left foot and go. And experience hones this smooth as silk..
Course with the ol lady both feet go down cause if the bikes stopped she's a moveing, and both feet down helps prevent any of her surprises.
By the way the motorcycle safety courses are ordered taken every year now in the military. Many civilians are takeing the Advanced course in the spring if they have much downtime from winter. It is a good refresher course for finding any bad habbits. I have taken it ever couple three years now.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:03 PM
dogmatic66
Novice

I bought an 06 RK last September and it's definitely the heaviest bike I've ever owned. I'm a very safety-conscious rider from riding style to gear, but I had a lapse over Labor Day weekend.

I was 20 minutes outside Columbus, OH at dusk, and nearing the end of a 525 mile ride to see an old college friend. I was tired and needed gas, so I pulled off the interstate into a small, old station with four pumps. As I was pulling out, I stopped at the end of the station driveway before pulling out onto a two lane road. The road was highly crested and the driveway sloped for drainage, so the meeting of the two formed a gutter. My handlebars were turned to the left and as I pulled out onto the road, it felt like the gutter forced my front wheel even further left. I felt myself lose balance and went right where I looked...to the ground on my left. Bike over on it's side right in the middle of the incoming lane. To top it off, I put my foot down in an attempt to tripod, but the foot got caught under the bike until I yanked it out.

Luckily #1, there was no traffic except for one car which had pulled out of an adjacent business and stopped well short of me. I was really embarrassed and mad at myself for the mental lapse. Luckily #2, there was another guy pumping gas and he walked over and said "I bet you could use a hand - that gutter caught you didn't it?". Luckily #3, thank god for engine and saddlebag guards. Just a tiny scratch on each chrome guard. We got the bike up quickly, I composed myself and rode off.

Lesson for me was another reminder of how important it is to keep you mental faculties sharp throughout every ride...from start to finish. You always go where you look, and my kissing the asphalt proved it. My big toe was hyperextended; it's not black & blue anymore, but still sore.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:36 PM
scooterman
Intermediate

There is a Harley Lifting Bar (Biker Bar) advertised on eBay. Has anyone ever actually used one of these and do they work? The link for now is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...temZ4630482691
A search for Motorcycle Tip-Over Bar or Harley Davidson Motorcycle Lift Tool will bring this up.
http://stores.ebay.com/AFP-CUSHMAN-V...-VINTAGE-CYCLEis their eBay store.
Seriously, does anyone have any experience with one of these. I dropped mine yesterday and had to use a come along to get it back up.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blame the passenger...then ride alone and really enjoy yourself [sm=joke.gif]

Old 04-28-2007, 04:22 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: scooterman
I dropped mine yesterday and had to use a come along to get it back up.
You need to have someone teach you how to lift a downed motorcycle.
Butt on the seat, grab, and push with the legs....... with a slight lifting, using the arms.

Check here...... http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

Old 04-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Cache
Tourer

The point of no return......it does s*ck!

Glad your ok......just a little pride hurt..

Next time, have the ole lady ride you on the back or have her put her foot down for you at all stops.....errrrrrrrr!

Avoid the stop signs all together..... don't ever stop anymore!

Quick Reply: Layed my bike down at a stop sign