Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharknose or Batwing

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:34 AM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Road Glides are really becoming popular, and I think I'm really starting to like look of the large fairing. Have you seen a Road Glide Ultra in person? On bad *** gorgeous bike!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ddm502001
The RGs' get called Fuglies and the SGs' get called the bastard step child but they do as well as the Ultra but less the options and accessories; my next ride: CVO Ultra with as much stuff as I can muster to put on it(Used of course!) beyond the OE stuff.
I would haft to disagree with this statement...the Ultra is the Ultra in every way. The SG does not ride as nice due to suspension mostly...as far as the RG I have no comment good or bad for the driver...except for the turbulence is more for the passenger...at least it was for us.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts

Having had both style glides.Both have there good and bad points. It depends if you want better wind protection from the cold, Batwing. Or better handling on the road both hi speed and low speed, Fugly, uh RG. I got blown around by strong cross winds more on the RG, however got blown around more my strong head winds and metting or following trucks on the Batwing. I could see the radio better on the RG due to the location. the sound level is about the same on both. I agree rent each 1 for a day and decide for yourself. The road glide gave me more head buffeting but lowers and a different shield may fix that. I got used to it. I have a ultra limited and after the warranty is up may convert it to a shark nose. The handling is that good. I like the looks and driving lites of the ultra better. Cant really lose either way. Its just a trade off whats more important to you. My Girl Friend said the wind on the back of each was about the same. One last thing, if you can get the 09 and up new frame it handles alittle better but the older frame ride is better, softer over bumbs. Trade offs, it always trade offs. HMT

Last edited by heavymetalthunder; 09-12-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Batwing period... had both and love the look and the eel of the batwing....

Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 AM
elroy521
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it really get down to how tall you are and how close you want to sit to the faring , im 6'6'' and i like the room , like to sit back relax

Attached Thumbnails Sharknose or Batwing-b.jpg  
Old 09-12-2010, 10:21 AM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Go with the batwing. We don`t want to see everybody on a RG as is the case with the batwing.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:22 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

I rented both and liked the dash layout better on the Bat. also better protection for the hands. that being said the roadglide is nice too, a couple friends have RG's, they're nice but mine is better. I would take the RG over any softail or RK, I would actually take the RG Ultra over the SG too, better two up touring. Depends what you're going to use it for.

Originally Posted by Ultra61
I would haft to disagree with this statement...the Ultra is the Ultra in every way. The SG does not ride as nice due to suspension mostly...as far as the RG I have no comment good or bad for the driver...except for the turbulence is more for the passenger...at least it was for us.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,730 Likes on 769 Posts

Thanks all.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:58 AM
motofhlx
Novice

I like the batwing, just looks better to me.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by twistedcherokee
The sharknose fairing is mounted to the frame & does not turn when you do so the headlight stays pointing straight. The batwing mounts to the front fork & when you turn the headlight shines in the direction that you are steering. I prefer the batwing but I don't think the RG is fugly. Best advice was to road test both & see for your self what you prefer.

Toby
You mean kinda like the headlights on your car?

Anything over about 5 miles an hour, you arent really turning the bars - you're leaning. So - your bit about the headlamp shining in that direction has no merit.

I personally think that's the lamest excuse why someone didn't buy the best handling touring bike Harley makes.

Oh - incidentally - that fork mount? It puts additional loading on the front suspension which affects ride, handling and braking - just something to consider.

There's a reason just about every other motorcycle manufacturer on the planet uses a frame mount...

Quick Reply: Sharknose or Batwing