Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Starter Clutch OR Compensator
Replaced Starter Clutch fixed starting problem
29.63%
Replaced Compensator fixed starting problem
48.15%
Replaced Compensator cause saw on forum needed to
3.70%
Whats a Starter Clutch
25.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Starter Clutch OR Compensator why

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:32 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Popsflhtc
have 12,000 on an 08,first time i heard the kick back i thought the thing had just eaten its lunch.
i have tried the quick start thing prior to fuel pump shut down,helped but still would do it now and then.
went to dealer and was given a new trick to try.
bump and roll, quick bump start switch, then hit and roll till it fires.
was told that on shut down alot of the time the rotating mass will settle in the same position.
since i was given this info it has not kicked back.
now if they would just fix the problem instead of giving different tricks to try!
I'm not familiar with : bump and roll, quick bump start switch, then hit and roll till it fires.
Can you explain this please. My 09 Ultra is making the banging noise more and more often and I'd like to give this a shot.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 AM
mech8251
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced Starter, Clutch basket and Compensator on my 07 Ultra when it had around 25k on it. It kicked back hard enough to break teeth off of the starter and basket. Dealer installed all three with upgraded parts. Haven't had a problem since.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:05 AM
nsanerod
Advanced

Hopefully I can put in my vote tonight. Today my 09 FXSTB comes apart for a new starter clutch. I liked a previous post that makes the lawn mower analogy. That made perfect sense. I also liked the comments about why newer bikes appear to have more issues... EPA regs... higher operating temps... and I might add, larger displacement.

I have a newer camaro and I have been toying with the idea of a supercharger. I started doing my research and found that beyond the supercharger there are a half dozen parts (between the engine and rear tires) that will likely fail with more HP and torque.

I know this is nothing new to a majority of the forum members, but our bikes are no different. Stock larger displacement motors with even a stage 1 kit will bump that horsepower. More HP means more impacts on parts that were possibly stock on an older model HD. This is where I could complain about HD, but I won't do it. I love my bike. I've had lots of jap bikes as a younger man. Lots of wheelies, lots of fun, but no soul. I like my HD because I have excuses to work on it. I like the fact that it isn't perfect. Each time I fix a part or replace something the bike becomes a little bit more of my motorcycle.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:23 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,577 Posts

i alway wait until the lights on the dash go out and then hit the button, no grind or kick back

Old 08-29-2014, 07:47 PM
nsanerod
Advanced

It turned out to be my starter clutch. $70 AllBalls starter clutch installed and she starts perfectly!

Here is the before and after videos.