Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Starter Clutch OR Compensator
Replaced Starter Clutch fixed starting problem
29.63%
Replaced Compensator fixed starting problem
48.15%
Replaced Compensator cause saw on forum needed to
3.70%
Whats a Starter Clutch
25.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Starter Clutch OR Compensator why

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:37 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My compensator went out around 50,000 also tore up the rotor. It had the exact symptoms you describe.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 09-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Popsflhtc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot start kick back

have 12,000 on an 08,first time i heard the kick back i thought the thing had just eaten its lunch.
i have tried the quick start thing prior to fuel pump shut down,helped but still would do it now and then.
went to dealer and was given a new trick to try.
bump and roll, quick bump start switch, then hit and roll till it fires.
was told that on shut down alot of the time the rotating mass will settle in the same position.
since i was given this info it has not kicked back.
now if they would just fix the problem instead of giving different tricks to try!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spizzyman
It seems you guys with newer bikes are replacing too much stuff. JMHO.

spiz
No kidding I was thinking the exact same thing between my 05' and my 09'. I still like my 09' better though, it is a much better bike, just some quirks that need to be worked out, and since it is under warranty it all works out.

Last edited by Lawdawg; 09-19-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:37 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Track , here's my take on the comp.
Ever since the bike was new I kinda cringed when it started , feeling like there is something not right about this.
Checked with the dealer and they said , it's normal , just the compensator.
Now with this in mind and some reading on the forum , I thought the heavier springs in the SE unit "should cure this" problem.
My thought was , the starter bottoms this stock comp and then when the engine fires , it bottoms the comp "full travel" the other direction.
With this in mind , how about when we go up a big hill 2 up , is the comp bottomed then also?
My stocker loosened up at 5,000 miles.
Seems like the comp isn't doing the comp thing well , as it loosened from being bottomed all the time.
I installed the SE unit at 8,000 miles , the bike has 12,000 miles now , and I haven't heard the starter kick back since the install.
My thought was , if the stock comp is good for say 80 lbs of torque and the engine makes 81 lbs , the comp isn't comping well.(it's bottomed)
So if the SE unit can do say 120lbs of torque and the engine makes 81 lbs , then the comp is only working about 66% travel and is running on the spring rate of the comp.
My wife noticed the bike is smoother at any speed 2 up and I have too.
I figure , the starting is fixed , it's smoother , and it must not beat the crap out of the rest of the driveline like the stocker , so it's a good upgrade and worth my money.
Mick

Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Wink

While I am at the Street Vibes run I going to test ride a 2011 FLHTCU try and get 20 miles on her... I just had my Starter Clutch & Stator replaced and she is running great...like to see if I can feel any dif. with the 2011 SE Comp.

You think I should given I have 20k plus on my 2009...I'll post feed back next week..

If it is a drastic change as some have stated......upgrade to the SE compensator, will be in the works.....maybe Harley will wake up and give us all the upgrade..and I will not have to pay for the part....

Originally Posted by Mick
Hey Track , here's my take on the comp.
Ever since the bike was new I kinda cringed when it started , feeling like there is something not right about this.
Checked with the dealer and they said , it's normal , just the compensator.
Now with this in mind and some reading on the forum , I thought the heavier springs in the SE unit "should cure this" problem.
My thought was , the starter bottoms this stock comp and then when the engine fires , it bottoms the comp "full travel" the other direction.
With this in mind , how about when we go up a big hill 2 up , is the comp bottomed then also?
My stocker loosened up at 5,000 miles.
Seems like the comp isn't doing the comp thing well , as it loosened from being bottomed all the time.
I installed the SE unit at 8,000 miles , the bike has 12,000 miles now , and I haven't heard the starter kick back since the install.
My thought was , if the stock comp is good for say 80 lbs of torque and the engine makes 81 lbs , the comp isn't comping well.(it's bottomed)
So if the SE unit can do say 120lbs of torque and the engine makes 81 lbs , then the comp is only working about 66% travel and is running on the spring rate of the comp.
My wife noticed the bike is smoother at any speed 2 up and I have too.
I figure , the starting is fixed , it's smoother , and it must not beat the crap out of the rest of the driveline like the stocker , so it's a good upgrade and worth my money.
Mick

Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 PM
MrSunset
Intermediate
Default Hot start grinding

Originally Posted by SICKBAGGER
I would like to here what everyone has to say also.

But try this when starting really helped with mine, when you turn on th run switch the fuel pump starts and then satisfies maximum pressure, you want to start the engine before this happens so do this make sure you hit the start button before the fuel pressure is maximized. I hit the run switch then fast as I can hit the start switch helps tremendously.
My 2 cents: I am having the same issue with (stock) hot engine. Does not happen with cold engine. I am putting bike in neutral, hitting the engine run switch then hit the starter before fuel pump maxes out. I am not experiencing the issue following this method. My suspicion is the hot engine in conjunction with full fuel rail pressure leads to greater chance of premature ignition or kickback due to "something" losing it's original staying power, like a spring losing force, a clutch pack losing grip, or hot battery losing capability to supply full current as battery ages. All due to some part aging. I am 2 months out of warranty, so I will keep using this method until I have to break down and buy some repair parts and dig in. Give it a try and see if it helps you out too.
I have 48K miles on my '08 FLHTCU, and only major service was inner primary bearing at ~23K miles. Waiting for that to go out again.........

Old 10-14-2010, 02:29 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The quick start method didn't help me very much-the SE compensator did.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:10 AM
gefish
Stage III

Why doesn't Harley just build it right with the heavy duty components to begin with??? We pay enough for these damn bikes.. Oh yeah, they want more of our hard earned money.. I forgot.

My '09 FLHT won't start. Guess I will have to use money from my bike note to fix the bike back to running condition. HD finance can kiss my a$$!!! I will pay them when I have a bike that actually runs..

Quick Reply: Starter Clutch OR Compensator why