Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Starter Clutch OR Compensator
Replaced Starter Clutch fixed starting problem
29.63%
Replaced Compensator fixed starting problem
48.15%
Replaced Compensator cause saw on forum needed to
3.70%
Whats a Starter Clutch
25.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Starter Clutch OR Compensator why

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trackadaptor
You have a picture of the 2 different "Springs" what ??
No. And I'm kind of disappointed in myself, for I had planned on taking a side by side photo while it was apart.
Unbelievable difference between the two. It's not just the strength of the springs, they are a whole different style springpack.

If I can find some internet photo's, I'll post 'em.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:32 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
No. And I'm kind of disappointed in myself, for I had planned on taking a side by side photo while it was apart.
Unbelievable difference between the two. It's not just the strength of the springs, they are a whole different style springpack.If I can find some internet photo's, I'll post 'em.

I have to say....if you can not move that sucker, the springs are all good.....

Old 09-12-2010, 05:39 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 648 Likes on 516 Posts

saw some side by side photos on an old thread about a year back it was huge compared to stock.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:41 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not only was I getting the starter bang and kick back but the compensator was slipping, a jerking motion when heavy loaded.
I replaced it with the SE compensator. It solved all the problems pretty much. I still get some kick back but very rarely. I had 32,000 touring miles on my 07 at the time. Now have over 40,000 miles with a much better taking off and starting.
Now if I could figure out how to lower 1st gear.

dd

Old 09-12-2010, 05:47 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trackadaptor
I have to say....if you can not move that sucker, the springs are all good.....
When I replaced my compensator, it too appeared perfect in every respect. The springs were "good", just not good enough. I won't labor the point as I posted about the SE compensator a while back. I will say again though, that it remains the best $250.00 I have yet spent on my ride.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nemick
When I replaced my compensator, it too appeared perfect in every respect. The springs were "good", just not good enough. I won't labor the point as I posted about the SE compensator a while back. I will say again though, that it remains the best $250.00 I have yet spent on my ride.
Absolutely! There are great forces working on that comp (that it is meant to absorb and cushion). No way movinig it "by hand" is any kind of valid test.
No offense to anybody intended. Just trying to help.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts

You can see the SE spring pack in this picture

Old 09-13-2010, 05:33 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's some pics and diagrams of the differences. I changed mine before I did my build and it completely changed the way it started, no more banging and kickback. Even with this build in the hottest desert heat of 110 degrees no kickback.

Attached Thumbnails Starter Clutch OR Compensator why-img_2203.jpg   Starter Clutch OR Compensator why-old-20comp.jpg   Starter Clutch OR Compensator why-new-20comp.jpg   Starter Clutch OR Compensator why-new-20comp-2.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 06:11 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,858 Likes on 3,505 Posts

Mine was doing this grinding noise and they put a high torque SE starter..."Masked" the problem...they put a new "Stock" compensator and quieted it down again...now the bike is in the shop at 50k miles and the bearing on the main shaft behind the clutch basket is totally shot...you can grab with your hand and visibly move it...oil was leaking and i thought it was a inner primary gasket leak... I was told maybe the clutch basket was moving enough to make the flywheel move enough to disingage the teeth from the starter gear??? we will see later this week...i will post back.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:54 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Thanks to every body for the input....

I am going to call Fautline tomorrow and see if I can get a SE Compensator...warranty out the labor...wishful thinking but never know...

Originally Posted by smokindave
Here's some pics and diagrams of the differences. I changed mine before I did my build and it completely changed the way it started, no more banging and kickback. Even with this build in the hottest desert heat of 110 degrees no kickback.

Quick Reply: Starter Clutch OR Compensator why