Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery died with no warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:01 AM
88 Paladin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the seat off recently on my 99RK and noticed scratched in the top of battery was "2005".Did'nt think it had been that long.Never a tender or heated garage,replaced it before a 3900 mi road trip

Old 09-11-2010, 10:49 AM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is good life with no tender. My battery is 6 years old. I have no idea if the previous owner kept it on a tender but I do always. When on a recent road trip and two days without riding and no tender, it cranked slow when time to leave. I think it is new battery time for me as well.

spiz

Old 09-11-2010, 11:08 AM
88 Paladin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by spizzyman
That is good life with no tender. My battery is 6 years old. I have no idea if the previous owner kept it on a tender but I do always. When on a recent road trip and two days without riding and no tender, it cranked slow when time to leave. I think it is new battery time for me as well.

spiz
Yeah I was suprised,my garage will get down to the 30's.Did'nt hesatate to change it,but had sticker shock when I paid for it.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:21 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by strtarrow
I will order an Odyssey
Those Odyssey batteries are hit or miss.
Sometimes they last, sometimes they don't.

BEST warrantied battery out there that I know of...are the Drag Specialties labeled batteries.
These batteries have 12 month warranties.
Everything else, to my knowledge, only carries a 6 month warranty...even the HD batteries.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:54 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Those Odyssey batteries are hit or miss.
Sometimes they last, sometimes they don't.
My Odyssey lasted just over two years. Won't buy another. Modern batteries don't give the same symptons of getting old as earlier ones did.

Andy, now you have a new battery get yourself a tender as well. All my bikes have one and if I am riding them regularly I don't use the tenders, but come the colder weather I do.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:05 PM
harry.b
Tourer

Bugbyter,
This has nothing to do with your current question, but call the HD shop with your VIN. There is a recall out on the voltage regulators from sometime in 2005 to early 2006. I have to take mine in for the recall.

harry

Old 09-11-2010, 07:00 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My last battery lasted 6 years. I ride everyday and don't use a tender. Every one that I have had fail hasn't given any warning at all. I like the stock AGM batteries.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:33 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
My buddies 03' RK still has the original battery with 60K mi. He says his secret is his heated garage and starting it every week in the winter, go figure.
Hmm - sure hope he then rides it 10 or 15 miles. No way in hell am I starting any vehicle I'm storing once a week without riding/driving it.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:47 PM
88 Paladin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by davessworks
Hmm - sure hope he then rides it 10 or 15 miles. No way in hell am I starting any vehicle I'm storing once a week without riding/driving it.
Got to agree. I'll pick the best days in winter and ride thirty miles or so. Get it warmed up burn out the condensation to prevent sludge in the oil.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:05 PM
shadowchaser
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth. I have an 08 Street Glide, had to replace the battery this week. Went in today to make sure the charging system was working correctly. It was. The mechanic told me that the security siren has a little backup battery that constantly charges off the main one. He said that it will drain the big one if it sits awhile. (I've had a busy summer; haven't had much time to ride...sigh). He said he's seen it happen before. If this is true, I think it's a bad design issue on HD's part that the little back-up battery could trash the big one. I've been a part-time trickle charger user, will be full-time now!

Quick Reply: Battery died with no warning