Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MapSource...what a POS!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobay
Have you tried Tyre its a free download which works very well with Google maps,its compatible with Tom Tom and Garmin I use it with my Nuvi 500, it does allow you to plot your own routes with out it creating its best guess on which way you should go.
http//www.tyre.tk.
do you have a link that works?

Old 09-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
Mapsource is a powerful program but is remarkably non-user-friendly. Once you figure it out, and it isn't any easy proposition, it works fairly well. Before you transfer a route to the Zumo you should have sufficient viapoints or waypoints in the route, as if you don't the Zumo may send you on different roads. I've found this out a few times the hard way in the past, as although it will get you to the destination you may find yourself wondering where on Earth the GPS is taking you.

I have never figured out an easy way to insert a simple start and end point, and I usually just establish two waypoints and use those. Like everything else in Mapsource this isn't a straightforward proposition, and in theory you can establish a waypoint using the Find function, but this hasn't worked lately and has been unable to find any location I insert. If you want to change a route by drag-and-drop, just use the selection tool, left-click on the route once to make the route show as yellow, then do the drag-and-drop with your mouse. It works for me every time.
He speaks the truth.

-Dusty

Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default A lot of via points

Stay zoomed in close, and use lots of via points. One of the concepts that causes problems for many is not realizing that the settings on the GPS itself will "make decisions" if not forced into a route/road by a via point.

If you are not zoomed in close enough when making the map, and there are multiple options as to how to get between 2 via points, and you have your settings set to shortest route, or fastest route, on the GPS, it will do exactly that, if given the choice.

You need to be zoomed in close. Also be aware of the decisions your GPS will make if you aren't. Like usually if you have it set for Fastest Route, it will opt for highways over back roads, even though it might be a longer route.

Getting this concept helped me.

I still think the program sucks.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Scoobay
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rstekeur
do you have a link that works?
Sorry.. I fixed the link it should work now.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldhippie
Stay zoomed in close, and use lots of via points. One of the concepts that causes problems for many is not realizing that the settings on the GPS itself will "make decisions" if not forced into a route/road by a via point.

If you are not zoomed in close enough when making the map, and there are multiple options as to how to get between 2 via points, and you have your settings set to shortest route, or fastest route, on the GPS, it will do exactly that, if given the choice.

You need to be zoomed in close. Also be aware of the decisions your GPS will make if you aren't. Like usually if you have it set for Fastest Route, it will opt for highways over back roads, even though it might be a longer route.

Getting this concept helped me.

I still think the program sucks.
This is a good point. It took me a while but I finally realized I needed to set my Garmin to 'Prompt before recalculating'. If you get off your pre-mapped route, and your Garmin is set to auto recalculate, it will remap your entire route using your via and way points according to it's internal settings. By setting it to 'prompt' you can then do one of two things when you go off route. One, you can tell it to recalculate your route and let it do its' thing (and probably make some major changes to your route) or; Two, you can tell it 'no' and navigate yourself back to your pre-mapped route and it will then continue on your original route as if nothing ever happened.