Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock exhaust/Stage one intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:53 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Stock exhaust/Stage one intake

First, I have done a search and not much was there. For the couple of experts that are out there here is the question.
I have an '09 Ultra, I am seriously considering going back to the stock mufflers instead of the Monster Ovals. I am also considering add a stage 1 intake ( I like the round air cleaner look). I currently also run XIED's.....Do I have to recalibrate the ECM with stock mufflers and stage 1 intake. My opinion is if you are not letting any more air out then you can't get any more in.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:23 PM
In10SS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am certainly not an expert, but I did just this for a short time after pouring over what info I could find. The general concensus was that you could change a/c or mufflers without exceeding the ability of the stock system to compensate, but not both. My own opinion is that the less restrictive a/c would only make a significant difference for the few seconds spent above 4k or 4.5k where you could actually use the additional air flow available. On my bike, I thought it seemed a little more responsive or maybe it was the slight increase in intake sound. You may want to keep a rain cover for bad weather is the element is completely exposed.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:05 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

In10ss, thanks, that does make sense. I don't spend much time around 4000 rpm so the airflow is probably a moot point.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:06 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

no expert here but i would think even if you leave the bike completely stock you could make it run better and cooler with something other than EPA legal tuning, perhaps the xied's do enuf?

Old 09-11-2010, 12:37 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I have a SE/AC and stock mufflers on my '04 Road King. When I installed a PCV w/Fuel Moto map, the engine finally ran like it should - stronger, smoother and cooler. It sounds better too.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:37 AM
hogrider09
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry! What are XEID's? and, Im totally stock with my 09 FLHT. what can I do to give it some oooompf. I heard about just a stage one flash. I do like the oval AC's. Let me know. Thanks

Old 09-11-2010, 03:51 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by hogrider09
Sorry! What are XEID's? and, Im totally stock with my 09 FLHT. what can I do to give it some oooompf. I heard about just a stage one flash. I do like the oval AC's. Let me know. Thanks
XIED's are basically Jumper Wires with a Resistor to fool the ECM to a richer A/F Value can find a ton of info if just do an XIED search on this Forum or Nightrider.com

Old 09-11-2010, 12:29 PM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 248 Likes on 155 Posts

Your 09 Ultra will run fine with intake and exhaust mods--- same AFR as stock. The O2 sensors adjust to these minor changes--- see American Iron tests. But the bike will have better responce all around with Niterider IED's orXIED's to richen the air/fuel ratio. You can't burn air alone, the fuel is what produces the power and the fuel is what cools the cylinders. With minor changes you don't need a tuner and don't waste your money on a stage 1 download = a waste.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:32 PM
04 rkcrr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By just adding a stage 1 you are adding more air to an already lean condition. Does not sound like a very good idea to me. The purpose of adding a stage 1 and pipes is to add more air and fuel to the engine, The free flowing pipes help to get rid of the gases quicker. And no the stock ecm does not ajust enough to to richen your afr up to where the bike will run at its best. More air, more fuel and free flowing exhaust equals a happy bike. And no i'm no expert but I do know that is a fact.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 09 Ultra and the only mod is a K&N stock replacement air filter.
I would have gone with a big sucker or screamin eagle , but I don't need that kind of volume for my riding.
The mufflers are bone stock with the factory 2-1-2 crossover pipes
The bike runs fine , but if I were to go to the next step , I'd probably go with the FL-XiED setup.
The stock computer will make adjustments as needed with a target air/fuel of 14.7 to 1.
This is considered EPA proper (lean) and works pretty well.
The FL-XiED setup will change the target mixture to something like 13.8 or 14 to 1.
This would be a pinch richer and would produce more power (on average) than the stock setup.
The XiED helps the oxygen sensor to tell the ECM that it needs a little more fuel , that's all.
The computer then does the rest.
You should be fine either way you go.
Mick

Quick Reply: Stock exhaust/Stage one intake