Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock exhaust/Stage one intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:13 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in10ss is right about the A/C or Mufflers and no change to ecm. Do both and the ECM needs to know that there is more air entering the cylinders. Harley's have no mass air flow sensor that info is in the ecm thats why the need for flash. On my 07 I Did the a/c mufflers and stage one flash bike ran great , much cooler and mpg went from 46 stock to about 43-44 thats at 70mph on average. I know they chnged the o2 sensors but there is still no sensor to measure the quanity of air entering the motor!

Russ

Old 09-12-2010, 02:05 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Why???

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
First, I have done a search and not much was there. For the couple of experts that are out there here is the question.
I have an '09 Ultra, I am seriously considering going back to the stock mufflers instead of the Monster Ovals. I am also considering add a stage 1 intake ( I like the round air cleaner look). I currently also run XIED's.....Do I have to recalibrate the ECM with stock mufflers and stage 1 intake. My opinion is if you are not letting any more air out then you can't get any more in.
My question to you is, why would you go back to stock mufflers? If you do, you don't have to change anything...especially your ECM since you have Xied's. There will be NO noticable difference in performance. Just the stock sputter-sputter from the stock exhaust.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 AM
paguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The xied is a resistor that changes O2 sensor response. The o2 sensor is on line during warm start up and cruise. When you throttle to provide more power the O2 sensors are out of the system. That is why a rider entering the slab or climbing a steep hill, especially with a second rider, will hear a pinging from the engine. This pinging is lack of fuel to the top end.
Yes you can change out the air filter without changeing pipes or installing a fuel management mod.
I would advise initially removing the xied and after installing the cleaner run your bike around 5-10 minutes to allow it to warm up and this should allow the EMS to reset. Then if you want you can reinstall the xieds.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by paguy
The xied is a resistor that changes O2 sensor response. The o2 sensor is on line during warm start up and cruise. When you throttle to provide more power the O2 sensors are out of the system. That is why a rider entering the slab or climbing a steep hill, especially with a second rider, will hear a pinging from the engine. This pinging is lack of fuel to the top end.
Yes you can change out the air filter without changeing pipes or installing a fuel management mod.
I would advise initially removing the xied and after installing the cleaner run your bike around 5-10 minutes to allow it to warm up and this should allow the EMS to reset. Then if you want you can reinstall the xieds.
Paguy, that is a good point about letting the system reset, then reinstalling the xieds. Thanks for the insight.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:44 AM
fxdxruss
Road Captain

How would removing the xeids then reinstalling them rest the ecm! The xied changes the voltage signal back to the ecm thus providing a slight increase in fuel. Take them out and the signal back to the ecm is still there, just with out a resistor changing how much the voltage is. The ecm operates based on inputs from sensor information I don't see tha resetting anything!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:49 AM
fxdxruss
Road Captain

Harley flyboy read this link and it migt answer some questions for you!

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...injection.html

Old 09-16-2010, 06:18 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdxruss
Harley flyboy read this link and it migt answer some questions for you!

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...injection.html
fxdxruss, Thanks for the tip on the web site, there is a lot of good stuff there. Everyone should read it.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:17 PM
jdvogel53
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Mufflers are fine with Stage 1 upgrade

2014 Street Glide Special. I did the Stage 1 upgrade with SE intake, V&H power dual headers, and slash rounds slip-ons. The bike was too loud for me (embarrassing, I know). I put the stock mufflers back on, did not re-dyno, and now have my dream bike. It runs great. It is quiet. I can hear my stereo. Did not notice any change in performance at slow or highway speeds, low or high RPM. Very happy.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:57 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

You may want to try to get some take off mufflers from some newer Bikes with out
the Catalytic Converters in the Mufflers. Any 2010 or newer mufflers don't have
catalytis converters in the mufflers, they are in the header pipe. You can replace
the stock air filter with a K&N filter and it will flow all the air the engine can use.
Plus it will fit in your stock football outer air cleaner cover, and the XiED will cover
all your bases. The Bike will run cooler, and the mufflers will not be to loud. JMO

Old 03-08-2015, 07:24 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I have been running stage 1 on my 2010 Ultra since shortly after I purchased it. I decided I was ready for a little less noise so I removed my 4' Rinehart's and reinstalled my stock mufflers. I was amazed how much better the stock mufflers sound with the cat removed from the head pipe. I called Fuel Moto just to be sure I was ok using the same map on my PCV, they said it's fine.