Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Gusltd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a no-brainer in my opinion. The stock 103 is a very strong performer and also has proven itself to be bulletproof. Im sure the se 103 with the upgraded 255 cams is a stronger engine, but hey if you get the stock engine then later decide you want more then you can do whatever cams you want. Im guessing the moco is going to sell alot of powerpacs this year!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:54 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Damascus
I'm very happy with the stock 103 in my 09 RK Police and at this point in time I consider it to be a proven motor with a good couple of years under its belt.

As far as upgrading the cams ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I've done the power broker thing with 160RWHP/90FT-LBS/180MPH/400LB GW/blah, blah, blah on sport bikes and I like my Harley just the way it is.

Hell, the truth is, the 96 is so much smoother in terms of vibrations, back-to-back rides with a 103, that there's a lot to said for that motor if you're not interested in chasing sport bike numbers.

Both are good motors. I've heard/read less kind things about the 110 though.
The 110's are slooooo.......

Old 09-21-2010, 03:04 PM
BigD64
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 103's have been around in the Police Bikes since 07. I have an 09 FLHTP that I turned into an 09 FLHXP rock solid and with a PC-V, Pipes and Air Cleaner fast and powerful even with the stock cams. Only thing I dunno about with the new bikes(2010+) is the Cat. Sucks power.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:06 PM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No issues here, The engine gets stronger after break-in.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:15 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigD64
The 103's have been around in the Police Bikes since 07. I have an 09 FLHTP that I turned into an 09 FLHXP rock solid and with a PC-V, Pipes and Air Cleaner fast and powerful even with the stock cams. Only thing I dunno about with the new bikes(2010+) is the Cat. Sucks power.
I have read that there have been reports of tuners who have done back to back dyno runs with just cat removed and found no real differences in power. Probably sounded a whole lot better without the cat tho.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 PM
deegriff55
Intermediate

did the big bore kit on mine liked the cams, but not enof power, had to do more up grades to get it the way i like it

Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
I have read that there have been reports of tuners who have done back to back dyno runs with just cat removed and found no real differences in power. Probably sounded a whole lot better without the cat tho.
That I can believe. These motors aren't exactly breaking hp per ci records, they aren't at the cutting edge of specific output so a slight increase in exhaust backpressure from the cat isn't going to make a difference. The OEM exhaust is already more than adequately sized for a stock motor.

On a 124" motor with huge cams and high compression, sure, it's gonna hurt. But the power it's removing on a stock 96 or 103 is negligible....certainly within dyno run to run variability.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I have bought a 2011 SG w/power pac. Keep in mind this in some ways is more than just adding the kit and other ways not. The only thing missing in my opinion was the SE 255 cams. HD added the oil cooler and ACR to the heads...that you don't get in the stage II kit.
2011 bikes have a differently made throttle body which will affect calibrations available using aftermarket tuners...what this means is no maps available at the moment. If you plan it being tuned on a dyno....fine...just don't expect any canned maps being available.

How do I know this.....at the 1K maintenance I had the SE 255 cam added, A/C kit, power duals and rush mufflers added. I didn't want to go the dyno route so, I bought a PC V with the Auto Tune and FUELMOTO gave me a map that is closer than anything else available for this set up.

However, the dealer neglected to put in the terminator plug on the AT and the autotune is inop at this time. I believe, given the DTCs, from the system that is why when I hit 4K on the tach the engine dies. I am awaiting the terminator plug from dynotec and we shall see what happens. I like the idea of the autotune; but, like any tuning option...you do need to have some knowledge of the proper fuel/air ratios required and timing requirements to obtain the best power/mileage. The autotune will make the adjustments based on what a/f you set in each cell of the map.

More to come as to whether this solves the engine dying at 4K.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
greglal
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Might as well get the 96 and put the 103 kit on yourself then.
I'm gonna disagree, for the $800 difference (between Cruise/ABS and Power Pack) to have it already installed and warranted is a good deal. Then just install 255s whenever.

I am very happy and surprised with the PP 103 over the 96, but I do plan to add the 255 in the near future.
-Greg

Old 09-22-2010, 03:25 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
Runs a whole lot cooler, too!

Quick Reply: 103 problems?