Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Brake Lever - Walter's Workshop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:05 PM
blindsquirrel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Brake Lever - Walter's Workshop?

I'm 6'6" with a 36" inseam. I've made changes to my Road King to increase room and comfort (Tallboy seat, Road King High Handlebar). I recently purchased a Walter's Workshop extended shift lever, and I'm looking at their extended brake lever as well. Does anyone have experience with that particular setup, or have a recommendation as far as another product (Kuryakyn, Softbrake, EZ Brake, etc.)? I don't mind spending $150 +/-, but I want to get it right the first time. I'm looking for maximum room at the front of the floorboard, and something that will minimize how far I have to lift my foot to brake.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 PM
roadhog96
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blindsquirrel
I'm 6'6" with a 36" inseam. I've made changes to my Road King to increase room and comfort (Tallboy seat, Road King High Handlebar). I recently purchased a Walter's Workshop extended shift lever, and I'm looking at their extended brake lever as well. Does anyone have experience with that particular setup, or have a recommendation as far as another product (Kuryakyn, Softbrake, EZ Brake, etc.)? I don't mind spending $150 +/-, but I want to get it right the first time. I'm looking for maximum room at the front of the floorboard, and something that will minimize how far I have to lift my foot to brake.
I bought mine from Walter's Workshop several years ago. At the time it had the longest lever compared to the rest of the aftermarket brake levers. This gave more room on the footboards. The chrome plating was superior. A few years down the road Harley finally came out with their extended lever with lousy plating. I believe the brake lever is adjustable meaning you can set the height off the footboards. You know 6'.6" is going to be tight on any bike. The older Road Kings up until 96 had more leg room. In 97 they lowered the frames seating area and it caused all kinds of problems for tall riders and their passengers. I remember reading numerous complaints. I would recomend Walter's Workshop over the rest simply because it does what it's suppose to and it still looks just as good as it did when it was new.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently installed SOFTBRAKE's extended brake lever on my RK. works great for me. I had the EZ-Brake lever from Kuryakyn on my Fatboy - but, seems EZ-Brake is out of business.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Bubbas Brake

Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 AM
baldeagle503
Cruiser

I have a softbrake on mine too. 6'4" with a 36 inseam. Softbrake was a big improvement, but the bigger improvement was moving the boards forward 2".

Old 09-16-2010, 08:12 PM
blindsquirrel
Advanced

Thanks. What did you use to move the boards forward 2"?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by blindsquirrel
Thanks. What did you use to move the boards forward 2"?
Ergonomic Operator Floorboard kit HD pn50409-04. commonly called extended floorboards. moves the 'boards forward about 1 1/2 inches.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm only 6'5" with a 35" inseam, but the combination of hammock seat and floorboard relocators has worked well for me. I used the kuryakin ( sp?) ones that move the boards up an inch and out an inch. I used the Walters Workshop +2 front shift lever with a stock rear lever to make room for the big feet.......

I tried the kuryakyn extended brake lever and didn't like it. it barely moved the lever forward at all but it did move it down quite a bit so I couldn't get my foot under the lever any more. If you find something better please post it up here so I can try it.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by thebarzeen
....... I tried the kuryakyn extended brake lever and didn't like it. it barely moved the lever forward at all but it did move it down quite a bit so I couldn't get my foot under the lever any more. If you find something better please post it up here so I can try it.
really? that's weird, because the Kuryakyn EZ-Brake lever I got for my '08 Fatboy moved the brake pad almost 2" forward and down about 1 1/2". I bought it 2 1/2 yrs ago... but, evidently, Kuryakyn doesn't carry that model anymore. so, when I got my RKC, I went with Softbrake for their 2 " longer shift lever and brake lever.... plenty of room now.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:28 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have new ww-2 walters brake pedal lever, $140 msrp yours for $100 shipped, quality as mentioned is superb and they come with the grease fitting. if interested pm or email me. SOLD to OP Blind Squirrel THANKS

Last edited by leohd; 09-18-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Extended Brake Lever - Walter's Workshop?