Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb compated to Fuel Injection

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Sibs
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb compated to Fuel Injection

Im kinda old school.
Have a custom built EVO Softail with a Super E and a 02 Touring Classic Fuel Injection.

Was wondering what the pros to the Fuel Injection was over Carb.

Seems like too much bullshit to me.
I have to admit that I kniow nothing about FI and would rather rip all that **** off my 02 and go back to simpler days and put on a carb.

Thats just my own ignorance I do admit right off the bat so dont go prejudging me here.

Id just really like to know the pros to keeping the FI thats all.
Sibs

Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned cars and bikes with both and I prefer fuel injection every time over carbs.

The main reason is that fuel injection will automatically adjust to engine conditions and run leaner or richer as needed by the engine. That means it can run leaner when just cruising down the road and get better gas mileage or run richer when you're cranking it.

Are carbs easier to service? Yes. Do they need service more often than fuel injection? In my experience, yes. I've had carbs gum up after sitting all winter on bikes and have had carbs go bad on cars to where they needed cleaning or adjusting.

I've never had a vehicle with fuel injection need any work.

Can you fix a carb at the side of the road sometimes? Yes. Can you fix a fuel injection system at the side of the road? Probably not.

But, as I said, if it never breaks then you don't have to worry about fixing it.

There's nothing wrong with carbs. If you like them and do a lot of changes to your bike where you need to change jets etc. on the carb, then go for it.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Sibs
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Like I said, Im ignorent to FI and really need to learn more for sure.
This is my first bike with FI and I had it 3 weeks now.
What ya dont understand can seem rather over welming for sure and I dont have a cluse about it!!!!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:49 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

FI = easier starting, little or no warm-up time.
Biggest difference I notice is that my FI bike runs smooth all the time. My carbed bikes will pop or sputter occasionally and sometimes take a few seconds to fire. Usually when it's cold and damp.
Also, as Morris stated the ECM will adjust for riding conditions including elevation, which is good if you ride in the mountains.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Harley and all other manufacturers have to comply these days with strict exhaust emissions laws, which carbs cannot meet. So if we want a new or recent bike, it is going to come with EFI. We have to grin and bear that!

The good news is that EFI can give much more uniform fuelling to the engine throughout its operating range, which a carb cannot do. So when we throw away all the emissions stuff and give our bikes the sounds and performance we want, a properly tuned EFI will give better results!

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:21 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For a weekend cruiser, and something that doesn't get ridden often, I still prefer carbs. For something I ride every day in a wide range of weather conditions, EFI really can't be beat for the convenience factor alone.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:26 AM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by blusmbl
For a weekend cruiser, and something that doesn't get ridden often, I still prefer carbs. For something I ride every day in a wide range of weather conditions, EFI really can't be beat for the convenience factor alone.

Which convenience factor are you refering too?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,924 Likes on 4,973 Posts

FI meters fuel more accuratly, atomizes the fuel much better, shoots the fuel right at the valve , for quicker charge of cylinder, all allowing for a more efficient burn of charge, all this results in all that stuff above, since the delphi system is so reliable, and adjustable, as well as user friendly, I dont understand why anybody would want to go back.. do you use a rotory desk phone? how about a hand crank adding machine? how's those rabbit ears doing on your analog tv? guys, FI is here, its good and its going to stay, get used to it, just because you dont understand it, don't be leary of it, All told I bet half of you cant give me all 7 circuits of the carb, yet you say you think is better, just because you can change a couple jets, even though you are masking a vacuum leak, and didn't even know, hey if FI wasn't any good, why do the most tech, advanced cars in the world (formula 1) use it?

Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalSpike
[/b]

Which convenience factor are you refering too?
Not having to adjust the choke after a cold start, how well it runs when cold vs. warm, not having to re-jet if traveling to high altitude, etc. You hop on and ride, never touching a thing.

I'm spoiled with EFI drivability.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I like a carb but like the older Delphi fuel injection without the o2 sensors because it works so well.Not all that complicated if you leave it alone and don't piggyback anything with it.

Quick Reply: Carb compated to Fuel Injection