Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone fitted the Starcom communication system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Anyone fitted the Starcom communication system?

Interested to know how you like it? Any drawbacks to the system?
http://www.starcom1.com/
Sorry, not interested in any opinions of other systems like Chatterbox, N-Comm, etc. Just this one. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:37 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi from the UK!

We have one on our Glide. It's better than nothing, but I am not impressed with it. At speeds above around 65 it gets noisy and makes talking difficult. I haven't tried using it with any other things like phone or music.

What I find frustrating is that we sent a man to the moon and were able to talk to him, but talking to a passenger on a bike in hugging distance seems far more difficult!

We both use flip-up helmets and are thinking of changing to Schuberth C3s with their blue-tooth wireless communicators. They also make BMW helmets and perhaps German engineering has managed to solve the problem!

Old 09-08-2010, 02:57 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer

Interesting. They claim 100 mph + and clear. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry but Autocom (UK) is far better

Old 09-08-2010, 04:00 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by TRUBRIT
Interesting. They claim 100 mph + and clear. Thanks for the feedback.
Like Autocom they are British and we bought direct from Starcom at the National British bike show, where they made that claim to us. I haven't travelled at 100, but at 95 the darned thing is very noisy! Not much fun, even with earplugs.

Originally Posted by Deer Stalker
Sorry but Autocom (UK) is far better
Now owned by Starcom I believe! Also even more expensive and I have heard poor reports of their system too, which is why I bought Starcom.

Both these firms and others make frankly outlandish claims for their kit, but don't supply an expert in the box to ensure they deliver on their promise! The headsets are not easy to install in a helmet and it is almost impossible to position the ear-pieces as they suggest.

They both spend too much effort providing for phones and other add-on electronic distractions and not enough on enabling rider and pillion to talk to each other clearly. It costs a fortune for one to tell the other they want to 'spend a penny!'

Old 09-08-2010, 04:02 PM
mrbluffo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the Starcom Advance, sound quality is A1 even at speeds over the legal, small package so easy to fit.

Only real complaint are the Mini DIN connectors as we have bent pins when rushing to catch up with buddies to ride out.

Have the Garmin 550 connected and audio is again A1, although the Blue tooth of the Garmin can be garbled when using the phone, but believe this is down to the Garmin.

Would I buy one again? Nope, but not because of the sound quality, simply the cables and connections (goes for the Autocom too) So I would try a good BT system now there are a few better quality items appearing and Battery life is increasing.

The good part about cabling is you can disconnect the OL if you have had enough!

Old 09-08-2010, 04:38 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by mrbluffo
I installed the Starcom Advance, sound quality is A1 even at speeds over the legal, small package so easy to fit.
Ours was easy to fit, but I wish I could claim it was as clear as yours!

Only real complaint are the Mini DIN connectors as we have bent pins when rushing to catch up with buddies to ride out.
We've had the same problem, without rushing! This stuff is not robust.

Would I buy one again? Nope, but not because of the sound quality, simply the cables and connections (goes for the Autocom too) So I would try a good BT system now there are a few better quality items appearing and Battery life is increasing.

The good part about cabling is you can disconnect the OL if you have had enough!
True, but with a Schuberth the on/off switch is in reach! What do you mean by a BT system?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Smile

Originally Posted by grbrown
What do you mean by a BT system?
I've slept since writing that, so a bit brighter than when I posted! I take it you mean Bluetooth?

My reason for considering the Schuberth system is to get rid of the mediocre Starcom hardware already referred to and try an alternative technology that may just have finally cracked the problem of two people riding along on the same bike wanting to occasionally talk to each other clearly! It must be possible....

Old 09-10-2010, 12:31 PM
mrbluffo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've slept since writing that, so a bit brighter than when I posted! I take it you mean Bluetooth?
Too many late nights Graham, they get you every time.

I find the audio quality OK, it's just all the wires are a pain in the ***, I unplugged the coiled extension from my helmet the other week and just threw it across the seat while fuelling up, it slipped over the edge and melted the outer sheathing on the cylinder heads exposing the inner cores.

My wife has also got off a few times forgetting to disconnect and its pulled the cables out of the helmet.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:15 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer

Thanks for the feedback Guys. Guess I will keep researching. iMC have an alternative I might try. At half the price I won't lose so much if it does not work. Don't want to spend around $600 on a system that may not work or the hardware is weak. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Anyone fitted the Starcom communication system?