Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Wild 1 WO518 handlebars to my Road King ( 518 Chubbys bars )

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:13 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great advice in this thread!! I have the HD beach bar kit that I am going to tackle this weekend on my RK. I already subscribed to this thread.

Thanks a bunch!!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
bobbydeuce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the WO518's, I've done 800+ mile weekend rides, never once regretted putting these bars on my bike. Lots of people confuse them with the WO508 with the wheelbarrow type pullback.

Attached Thumbnails Installed Wild 1 WO518 handlebars to my Road King ( 518 Chubbys bars )-harley-pics-9-9-09-001.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 08:06 PM
gasol1ne
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jvvjvv
Gasol1ne...........The bars look great! How much wider than stock are they ?

Also what seat is that.

Thanks....
The bars are approx 3" wider. The seat is a C&C Solo.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:16 PM
gasol1ne
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jsciullo
Mr. Gasol1ne-
Calling you "Mr." because of this great write up!! I have a couple of questions.
Im looking to do this to my '09 RKC. What wires are already running inside the handle bars? I dont mind the look of cables outside of the handbars. Would I still need cable extenstions? Also, did you buy your bars directly from Wild Ones?

Thanks,
Jim
The only wires running inside the bars from the factory are the Throttle By Wire wires inside the right side of the bar. The only thing needed to be extended is the 'switch' wires on both sides of the bar. They are the wires encased in shiney black material and are attached to the underside of the bars. My opinion is the longer the extension the better (but 15" max) so you'll have plenty hanging out the front of the headlight hole when you have to put the nacelle-end molex connectors back on. You don't want to have to put both your hands inside the headlight hole when putting the molex connectors back on. The nacelle probably could come off thereby eliminating the need for extensions (because of the immediate access to the wire ends and connectors) but I have not investigated that.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:19 PM
gasol1ne
Cruiser

Mr. Gasol1ne-
Calling you "Mr." because of this great write up!! I have a couple of questions.
Im looking to do this to my '09 RKC. What wires are already running inside the handle bars? I dont mind the look of cables outside of the handbars. Would I still need cable extenstions? Also, did you buy your bars directly from Wild Ones?

Thanks,
Jim
oh. i ordered the bars from axiom cycles on ebay.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:57 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gasol1ne
The only wires running inside the bars from the factory are the Throttle By Wire wires inside the right side of the bar. The only thing needed to be extended is the 'switch' wires on both sides of the bar. They are the wires encased in shiney black material and are attached to the underside of the bars. My opinion is the longer the extension the better (but 15" max) so you'll have plenty hanging out the front of the headlight hole when you have to put the nacelle-end molex connectors back on. You don't want to have to put both your hands inside the headlight hole when putting the molex connectors back on. The nacelle probably could come off thereby eliminating the need for extensions (because of the immediate access to the wire ends and connectors) but I have not investigated that.
I just ordered mine and will have someone else install them. Can you tell me if the WO's have holes drilled in them to accommodate the plastic tie wraps like the Harley bars? My installer didn't think so and wants to run all the wires inside the bars.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:18 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered mine and will have someone else install them. Can you tell me if the WO's have holes drilled in them to accommodate the plastic tie wraps like the Harley bars? My installer didn't think so and wants to run all the wires inside the bars.
They do not have the holes. Highly suggest you have them installed internally.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:53 AM
BCMC
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great post, very informative.
Bars look awesome

Old 10-05-2010, 07:32 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the looks of the 518's over the 508's but i am 5'8 and the wild one site recommends 508's for me. Are any of you with the 518's my height and if so do you have to reach for them or do you sit upright?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:37 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 5'9" and run 508's. Yes they are wheel barrowish but once I got used to them love them.

Put 518's on my wife's RKC and they are great also..........might swap them out this winter. She is 5'7" and has no issue at all with the 518.

Quick Reply: Installed Wild 1 WO518 handlebars to my Road King ( 518 Chubbys bars )