Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run Switch vs. Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010 | 08:26 PM
LADNAR
|
Tourer
Default Run Switch vs. Ignition Switch

Hey, what do you all use to turn off your bike?
I've always used the run/kill switch to turn it off, and then I switch off the ignition.

Recently I went to this bike shop to ask some questions about various things, and the conversation led to fuel injection and computers, and other things... Anyway, the guys was telling me that people use the kill/run switch and it messes things up on their bike. He said by flipping the run switch it was like unplugging your computer, instead of going to start and shutting it down properly. He said that you should just leave the run switch alone, and use the ignition only.

Sounded kind of weird to me. I've never heard anything like that before, and I've been using the run/kill switch for year.

Anyone else ever hear of that??

Old 09-07-2010 | 08:31 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior

He's blowing smoke up your A$$.

Old 09-07-2010 | 08:32 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

I always use my kill switch. If it would mess things up, why put it on the scoot?

Old 09-07-2010 | 08:32 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior

Do a search. There was a thread on this a while back. I personally use the kill switch. I have had the bike for 4 years and 34,000 miles and so far so good.

Hopefully your not talking about the local Dealer.

Old 09-07-2010 | 08:39 PM
Spur56
Road Captain

Owners manual tells you how to do it. I don't think it really matters.

Old 09-07-2010 | 08:46 PM
despurlock
Advanced

Any safety class for motorcycles will tell you to use the kill switch and then shut off the ignition. May want to think about this shop.

Old 09-07-2010 | 08:58 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

I use the ignition and my son uses his kill switch.
We gas up at the same pump (dad pays) and touch front tires.
I'm always telling him that his headlight is still on.

Old 09-07-2010 | 09:25 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

From my '06 manual:

STOPPING THE ENGINE

1. Stop the the engine by turning OFF the engine stop switch on right handlebar.

2. Turn OFF the ignition/headlamp key switch. If the engine should be stalled or stopped in any way, turn off the ignition/headlamp key switch at once to prevent battery discharge.

Old 09-07-2010 | 09:41 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

I believe there is a service bulletin for the throttle by wire bikes saying not to use the kill switch because it was causing problems with high idle. People were shutting off the bike before the idle had a chance to settle back down or their hand still resting on the throttle caused the idle to reset at a higher RPM. A lot of people were bringing their bikes in with complaining of high idle.

This is from the '08 SM:

...the ECM uses the first four ignition cycles to establish the optimum idle speed, there may be initial performance problems if the procedure is not performed, such as high idle or hesitation when the throttle is opened.

The AMA teaches the regular use of the kill switch to establish muscle memory in case of emergency but modern bikes have tilt switches.

Old 09-07-2010 | 10:03 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

This comes around every few months. Do what you like, it doesn't make a bit of difference to your bike.

Quick Reply: Run Switch vs. Ignition Switch