Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! My Sony radio wont keep the preset memory when I turn my Electra off

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 PM
ericgelectra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! My Sony radio wont keep the preset memory when I turn my Electra off

Hi, i recently installed a sony head unit on my 07 Electra Glide classic, for some reason it wont keep the memory after i turn it off. I know there is a wire on the head unit fot memory, but where does that wire go to my bike? Can someone tell me which wire on the bike harness goes to the memory? thanks for your help guys..

Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 PM
LADNAR
Tourer

Your head unit should have two power wires, a red one and a yellow one. Your red one is what turns it on and off, and should be hooked to a switched power supply. Your yellow one is the one that keeps your memory, so it needs to be hot all of the time.

I'm not sure what accessory actually stays hot on your bike while it's off, other than the alarm if it has one. What I would probably suggest is running your yellow wire straight to the battery. Unless someone else knows of another "always hot" line in the fairing, I'm thinking a straight line to the battery would be the best and easiest. That's just my opinion.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 PM
ericgelectra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LADNAR
Your head unit should have two power wires, a red one and a yellow one. Your red one is what turns it on and off, and should be hooked to a switched power supply. Your yellow one is the one that keeps your memory, so it needs to be hot all of the time.

I'm not sure what accessory actually stays hot on your bike while it's off, other than the alarm if it has one. What I would probably suggest is running your yellow wire straight to the battery. Unless someone else knows of another "always hot" line in the fairing, I'm thinking a straight line to the battery would be the best and easiest. That's just my opinion.

thanks for the info, the "radio installer" actually put the red and yellow wire together.. My head unit has a blue wire as well. This blue wire says antenna. sound familiar? Maybe running a straight wire from the battery is a possible idea. Unless someone else knows another hot wire in the fairing? (like you suggested)

Old 09-07-2010, 09:10 PM
ericgelectra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ericgelectra
thanks for the info, the "radio installer" actually put the red and yellow wire together.. My head unit has a blue wire as well. This blue wire says antenna. sound familiar? Maybe running a straight wire from the battery is a possible idea. Unless someone else knows another hot wire in the fairing? (like you suggested)

Hey Ladnar, I do have an alarm, but not a siren.. is this helpful? i know i have a alarm fob, and my blinkers turn on when they trip my alarm, but no siren.. Like i said i just recently purchased this electra..

Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 AM
LADNAR
Tourer

I used to do a lot of car stereo installs all the way through college. That blue wire is for a power antenna, which would be pretty cool on a bike, but you're looking at a little more work and money. Still, it'd be pretty cool. There's also usually an orange wire (I believe orange) to hook up as a remote to any amps that you add down the road.

I know stereo's, but I'm not too fresh on the alarms. What I do know about the alarm, is that it's always hot. If you want to hook up to the alarm, you should just ask your dealer which is the power lead to the alarm. I'm not sure what color that wire is. I have an alarm on my bike too, but I haven't dug into it.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:38 AM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

If you don't have it get the Official HD manual for your bike and in it you will find a section for the electrical schematics and that will tell you what wires are hot and what wires are not. In other words But really with an a volt meter you can test wires while the bike is off and find the hot ones.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ericgelectra
Hi, i recently installed a sony head unit on my 07 Electra Glide classic, for some reason it wont keep the memory after i turn it off. I know there is a wire on the head unit fot memory, but where does that wire go to my bike? Can someone tell me which wire on the bike harness goes to the memory? thanks for your help guys..

Just hook up the yellow wire to the hot side of your accessory switch.

I have a Sony BT 3800u, love it!

Regards,

Old 09-08-2010, 06:44 PM
utlonghorns416
Road Master

I did red to cig lighter and yellow to battery. A friend of mine did his red to cig lighter and yellow to gauges.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:03 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LADNAR
There's also usually an orange wire (I believe orange) to hook up as a remote to any amps that you add down the road.
Amp wire is BLUE !!!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:10 PM
wtrskinut1
Advanced

Your B+ is the solid red wire going to the ignition switch. Just be careful how you tie into it. This is the only always hot wire in the fairing that I know of.

Quick Reply: HELP! My Sony radio wont keep the preset memory when I turn my Electra off