Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fishtails

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:05 PM
bmcgc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fishtails

After riding Hondas and Kaws for over 35 years this is my first Harley.

Im not interested in going faster, if I were I would have bought a bigger bike. That said I do want better looks and better sound.

1st: Fishtails. I can get Screaming Eagle mufflers (80732-09) and fishtails from Zanotti for $429. Anyone have these mufflers? Any recommendations?

2nd: My FLHT came with a FLHX trim ring on the oem aircleaner, its just ugly.. I would like a better looking aircleaner, I dont want to screw with a power commander and lately it seems that I get caught in the rain alot so an open element filter probably isnt a wise choice. Any recommendations?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 AM
bmcgc
Banned

Bump....Anyone?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look up Samson fishtails.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcgc
After riding Hondas and Kaws for over 35 years this is my first Harley.

Im not interested in going faster, if I were I would have bought a bigger bike. That said I do want better looks and better sound.

1st: Fishtails. I can get Screaming Eagle mufflers (80732-09) and fishtails from Zanotti for $429. Anyone have these mufflers? Any recommendations?

2nd: My FLHT came with a FLHX trim ring on the oem aircleaner, its just ugly.. I would like a better looking aircleaner, I dont want to screw with a power commander and lately it seems that I get caught in the rain alot so an open element filter probably isnt a wise choice. Any recommendations?

1. Get the SE mufflers and fishtails. Nothing beats the looks, IMHO. I am running fishtails with 1.75 baffles and it sounds really sweet, and I can still listen to the radio at 70 MPH or more.

2. I have the standard football cover with a K&N filter. I have a PCV, but before I had it, I run my bike with just the slip-ons and the K&N and it run awesome, way better then stock mufflers and stock filter. If you don't want to run a PCV, just change the mufflers and filter, you will like it, lol

Regards,

Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Also check out V&H fishtails. Put those on the wife's Heritage and they sound and look great. Also put on an older round style air cleaner for a more nostalgic look. HD has a round one available with etched lettering.
Been running open air filters for over 10 years with no rain issues - and I've ridden through some real downpours as well as some long rainy rides.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 AM
bmcgc
Banned

I listened to some youtube clips of some various exhaust systems. I must say the SE clips sounded the best to me, deep but not to loud.

I worked on ships for many many many years. Engine noise is not music to my ears.

AC/DC, the Doors, Johnny Cash, Meatloaf.....thats music!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:07 AM
bmcgc
Banned

[quote=I've ridden through some real downpours as well as some long rainy rides.[/quote]

You guys get much rain up there? I lived on the OR/WA coast for over 11 years, I dont remember much rain.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put Screaming Eagles on mine and it seemed to run better but just too quiet.Took em off and put the Samson fishtails back on.Just one man's opinion,though.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm another Seattle area rider with an open element air cleaner. Never a problem, even in heavy rain. I guess some guys don't care for the look, though.

Fishtails are essentially a long drag pipes with a fishtail end. The traditional baffle is the shape of the fishtail itself, and that's also what gives the exhaust its distinctive sound. You can put fishtail endcaps on a several different slip on mufflers, but to me, they don't have the look or the sound.

Last edited by Mike; 09-08-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:27 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took delivery of a pair of Big City Thunder Monster Baffles...wow! What a piece of technology and engineering! I'm amazed at how simple they are!!!

Now to fill in the blanks...I'm running Bassani Power Curve headers with Samson drag fishtails. With absolutely NO backpressure in there I'm losing WAY too much in the midrange so I decided to spring for the baffles. I plan on an install this weekend.

Also, running a Wimmer ram air intake. If it's raining really heavy and looks like I'll be riding in it for a while, I slip the nylon sock over the element. If not, I just ride!