Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dual disc to a single front disc

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 03:07 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual disc to a single front disc

OK, OK

I am thinking about going the single disc in the front of my SG when I get my new wheels in a ocuple weeks.

what all is involved in switching to a single disc? Anyone have a parts run down on what is needed?

I know when you purchase chrome controls for your bike the brake master cylinder says single or dual disc on it. WHY?

Will I need to replace my controls as well?

I think a few people on here have done that. What was involved?

Old 09-09-2006, 03:30 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dual disc to a single front disc

For sure you will want to go to, a larger diameter floating rotor, six piston caliper and a single steel braided line from the master cylinder. Costs a few bucks!

Old 09-09-2006, 04:24 PM
vegashd
Banned

well heres my thing, if I am buying a new set of wheels and having to buy the rotors i might as well go this route. I am ordering my black lowers and figured I could order them for the single ones to get rid of the mounts, then i only have to order one front disc, which will pay for half my caliper.... so I think if i could get a list of everything that needs changed I would do it this week.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:29 PM
venture33
Road Master

Excuse my ignorance...but why would you go from dual to single.
Like my RK, your SG is a lot of bike to stop.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:38 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only to open up the right side to show off a custom wheel. There is no practical advantage to a single rotor on a heavy touring bike. High performance/racing bikes all have dual discs.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:41 PM
ZookHD
Tourer

Here's a pic of my bike with a 13" single disk and a PM 6-pistion caliper. You will need to use an 11/16" bore master cylinder from a softail, Dyna, ETC (yes the the new MC will work with your bagger swich housing). Have your right fork leg caliper mounts ground off. Re chrome your fork leg. (this would be a good time to install a lowering kit if you want). E-mail if you have more questions. ZOOK

[IMG]local://upfiles/13976/7F6CC5BAB145411EBA1396B8C66C4823.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-09-2006, 04:50 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: ZookHD

Here's a pic of my bike with a 13" single disk and a PM 6-pistion caliper. You will need to use an 11/16" bore master cylinder from a softail, Dyna, ETC (yes the the new MC will work with your bagger swich housing). Have your right fork leg caliper mounts ground off. Re chrome your fork leg. (this would be a good time to install a lowering kit if you want). E-mail if you have more questions. ZOOK

[IMG]local://upfiles/13976/7F6CC5BAB145411EBA1396B8C66C4823.jpg[/IMG]

Well I could do that, but i was gonna order black powdercoated lowers. Maybe I will pull it all apart, grind off my mounts, and powdercoat the pieces myself. i wonder if they will match the factory balck powdercoat that came on the HD crash bar I got. HMMMM then I could install my front lowering kit like i want and go to a single caliper. The fun the fun.

Can I purchase one lever set in chrome? Or I guess I could just by the lever mount set for a softail and then the clutch side will work.. Right? what about levers? would I then need softail levers or would they still take the same levers as a touring bike?

If I do it I would purchase the Pm caliper, rotor and wheels. SO it will all match.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:55 PM
ZookHD
Tourer

Powder coating is fine. Have the powder coater use a high gloss black and it shoud match the HD color. You will not need different levers. Buy the MC from off Ebay or at a HD Swap meet to save $$$. ZOOK

Old 09-09-2006, 05:09 PM
vegashd
Banned

Powder coating is fine. Have the powder coater use a high gloss black and it shoud match the HD color. You will not need different levers. Buy the MC from off Ebay or at a HD Swap meet to save $$$. ZOOK

I want chrome MC. what part number would I use? 45355-06a

says 06 and later does it matter what year? If so why?

Old 09-09-2006, 06:58 PM
ZookHD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: vegashd

I want chrome MC. what part number would I use? 45355-06a

says 06 and later does it matter what year? If so why?
Powder coat this! Chome that! What's up with you? Just kidding. I have chome forks and powder coated controls. Yes that is the right part #. The brakes didnt change in 2006 so it won't make a difference.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13976/9C8E354BF0A0440E86D030B8D83C8B8E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13976/84F5131D62504EF591FB88F992647C0F.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: dual disc to a single front disc