Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio - is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:41 PM
bmcgc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio - is this possible?

I would like to have tunes on my 09 EGS, I like the glove box / radio slot and dont want to give it up.

All I really want is to be able to plug in a flash drive and use the handlebar controls. I dont want a CD player and dont really care if I have a radio (they only play crap anyway).

So really I just need an amp, usb port, and a way to interface with the handlebar controls.

Is this possible?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:50 PM
BLK08ROCKERC
Road Captain

I do not see why not. It does sound like you are going to have to get creative though. How about installing a radio and speakers like the EGC comes with and getting the pouches that go behind the windshield to make up for the lost storage space? Just a thought.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
BM05FLHT
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Places post so I can see what idea's come in.......... I also have an EGS and like you only want to listen to my ipod, the ipod will drive speakers but not with enough power. An amp and handlebar interface would be awesome!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

go to see at hawgwired or biketronics if they sell or do this system for you. Hope it help

Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM
bmcgc
Banned

I was thinking about something like this, but I dont know if I could make it work with the handlebar controls.

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/audio/secret_audio.html

Old 09-07-2010, 03:50 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Hooking up an amp and sticking it on top of your glovebox inside the fairing and mounting speakers in the fairing would be pretty easy. Not sure how you would make the connection from the iPod to the amp. The hardest part would be getting it all to work with the switches on the handle bar. Not saying it can't be done, but it ain't gonna be easy.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:07 PM
rmaytee
Advanced

I don't know how, but I know it's possible. There was a cover bike on either Bagger or Hot Bike that had a cool set-up. It was a road king, with apes, custom full length floorboards, hidden speakers in the bags, and 4" speakers in a headlight housing mounted to the engine guard. Anyone remember that bike? He had a custom made tank console that his ipod fit perfectly flush into. The ipod was the only interface that was used. If you can run the ipod without an actual stereo like he did, I'm sure you can wire it to the handle controls too. I don't know if the "boom audio ipod interface" HD sells will actually work, but I'm not sure if that is what you are wanting to use anyway.

Good Luck.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:09 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

http://www.uniqcycle.com/

You can defiitly keep your glove box . Mount the amp (it is small) in the fairing and run the wires to the speakers. Mount the ipod on your bars and run the cable from the ipod to the amp, (these guys have the amp to do it). discuss with them the best way to power the ipod, they have several solutions.

I used these guys to set up my buddies Honda with thier ipod kit and thier chrome external handlebar mounted speakers with an ipod nano. w orks great and is a clean install. good luck !

Old 09-07-2010, 04:40 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by rmaytee
I don't know if the "boom audio ipod interface" HD sells will actually work, but I'm not sure if that is what you are wanting to use anyway.

Good Luck.
no, you have to already have the hk radio installed for that.

the first part of your quest, an amp to plug your ipod into is easy. its the handlebar controls that is going to make this difficult.

i know that hd now sells an audio thing that you just plug your ipod into, and it has its own separate remote that you mount, but it doesn't use your existing handlebar controls.

good luck.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't looked at the newer system on HD's, but I know on my 01 EG you have a aux port you can plug into. Volume controls on the handle bars work fine. Just use the clip on the holder and slide it over the throttle cable. Haven't lost it yet.

But like I said don't know about the newer models. Now if you wanna be able to skip songs etc. that's a different story. I have my "riding tunes" set already and just em rip. My amp is mounted under my pizza box.

Quick Reply: Radio - is this possible?