Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"lugging"

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Cool

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 06-24-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:55 PM
LastHalf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Hudson
Good stuff & i think it very accurate - most will ignor it & thats OK - At my age I find myself with more health issues every year - so I have been seeing a big drop in the miles I put on my bike compared to the past so maybe I'll get lucky & my Ultra will go the distance with me - If I was younger I would either go back to a Goldwing or take a good look at Victory - I really do lke my Ultra but maybe i should be looking at a Vespa - tom
I added the 4 other segments now if you go back. I thought the link would take people to youtube where they`d see the other sements on the sideline, but it plays right here. Segments 2-4 are good too, and segment 5 is more to do with the balance and ease of picking it up or something unrelated to the engine. I didn`t post it to suggest people jump ship, but to find out what`s hype and what`s legit.......for me and others, since anyone who`s ever had issues and mined the internet probably stumbles upon such articles and gets concerned. Concerned is good if it leads to preventing a catastrophe once you already own the bike and want to make the best of it. Victory`s may have `the motor` but they look terrible, well other than the Hammer and possibly a couple others, especially their full dressed Vision tourer and the Crossroads etc. They do sound good too and I take it that`s because they were able to copy Harley`s sound. It sounds awfully similar to my virgin ears, and might I say awesome in those youtube episodes anyway (which likely don`t represent a stock Victory). I also doubt Victory could be any more comfortable, other than maybe longer rear suspension travel, than Harley as my EG was extremely comfortable for long distance riding. No they may have more torque and hp, and maybe that engine is more reliable/durable and easier/cheaper to maintain. But that has to be it.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 PM
LastHalf
Cruiser

Here`s a thread I started in the Tech forum that talks a lot about this:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...-engine-4.html

Old 06-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the Russian Ural is still behind Harley Davidson in technology but I think I Briggs & Stratton has moved ahead of Harley.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 PM
LastHalf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tom Hudson
I think the Russian Ural is still behind Harley Davidson in technology but I think I Briggs & Stratton has moved ahead of Harley.
Actually before my engine grenaded I bragged to a lot of people that despite the stereotypes, there is a lot of high tech stuff on modern Harleys. SEFI (I think it`s `S`EFI anyway), cast aluminum wheels, cartridge forks, Brembo anti-lock brakes, keyless ignition, high end Harmon Kardon stereo, 6 speed overdrive transmission, proximity alarm system with the fob, and air ride rear suspension. And that`s the 2008`s and prior, nevermind the 300 odd improvements made in 2009, which I was kicking myself for not getting instead. Other stereotypes disspelled were that they leaked oil, mine didn`t though yes it burned oil, and that it was unreliable....which mine wasn`t for that 19,000 km trip. Maybe even now I can`t say it was unreliable since I was riding it at inadequate rpm`s. I could blame the manual but that was meant as a guideline and I took it too literally. Had I ridden it that entire time in 5th gear and 2500+ rpm I`d probably still be saying that reliability stereotype is unfounded in modern Harleys. So though there are well known low technology on these things, like 2 valves, pushrods, air cooling, low specific output, and chain primary drive as those videos state, there`s also significant technology too considering they`re intended to be retro bikes.

Last edited by LastHalf; 06-24-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:02 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LastHalf
That shift pattern of shifting to 6th at 60 mph though gives 2150-2200 rpm for me (not closer to 2500 rpm than 2300 rpm so say 2400 rpm).....but I heard 09`s and later have different ratios including for 6th which is now lower to cruise more comfortably - i.e. not lugging or damaging anything - at 60 mph. So maybe the 09 and later bikes rev about 3000 rpm higher in 6th than mine does. They must have changed ratios for a reason and I think that`s it. It may be proof right there that they knew there was a problem with the pre-09 ratios.
Yeah, my 2010 FLHR has 68 teeth on the rear sprocket and is noticeably larger than my 2010 FXSTC which has 66 teeth. I can tell the difference between the two in revs at any given speed. Can't hardly lug the FXSTC though, it rocks at almost any rpm....

Old 06-27-2012, 02:09 PM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

good info thanks