Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"lugging"

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:17 AM
LastHalf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
My '07 Ultra manual says:
15 1st to 2nd
25 2nd to 3rd
35 3rd to 4th
45 4th to 5th
55 5th to 6th
I guess H-D knows ther machine

If I was to follow the "keep it to 3000rpm" rule I would never be able to use the 6th gear as I do 2500 rpm at 70Mph.
Yes that was my logic too - HD knows their machines, they say shift to 6th at only 55 mph, and I`d never use 6th since 120-130 kph would mean constant speeding tickets. Based on that information I toured 19,000 km in 6th at 60 mph. But then the crank and broken primary case/bearing (not to mention top end but maybe that damage was done by detonation) had my mechanic saying to ignore what Harley says, they`re wrong and don`t want to admit it for whatever reason, I did this to my engine and will continue to wreck engines unless I don`t reserve 6th for 73 mph plus.

Perhaps someone above says THEY keep it to 3000 rpm, but the vast majority are saying 2500 rpm is fine.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:24 AM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LastHalf
Well according to the mechanic, shifting to 6th at 60 mph is what killed my engine, though that`s what the manual says. Too bad though as that was an easy to remember rule of thumb. Most on here are saying shift to 6th at 70 mph (implying shifting to 5th at 60 mph etc.). So maybe it should be more like:

40+ shift to 3rd
50+ shift to 4th
60+ shift to 5th
70+ shift to 6th

The shift pattern I listed keeps me above 2300 at all times, and generally closer to 2500.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 AM
LastHalf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mac1911
I try to keep it above 2,500. It seems happiest around 3,000. Lugging seems to start around 2,300 and below.
That`s what I do now (keep it above 2500 rpm religiously) - and yes the closer to 3000 rpm I get, the happier it sounds/feels. I`m pretty comfortable with that now, especially given someone tested fuel mileage at 60 mph in both 5th and 6th and found it got better mileage revving higher in 5th (more efficient I guess). I can kind of tell by the sound of the engine now, but for some time it made the ride less relaxing because I was always checking the tach and shifting up/down. I thought one advantage to a huge torquey engine is that you don`t have to shift so much like on a more high strung bike. That`s one big reason I didn`t bother shifting down when climbing moderate sized hills if the revs weren`t dropping much. The stereotype about big torquey low revving engines had me thinking that was okay. You also hear about Harleys rumbling a bit so if I felt that a bit, I thought that was normal too so long as I was close to 2100 rpm on hills.

However given everyone`s experience here and what makes these engines happpy in the real world, it seems odd Harley wouldn`t know this too and make those recommendations in their manual. If we find that they get better mileage in 5th, run/feel better, sound better and are lugging too much below 2500 rpm......why would they ever recommend 6th at 55 mph or 60 mph? They ride these bikes too and should be the experts. Especially if as you and others say, 2200 or 2150 rpm (rpms when in 6th at 100 kph) is lugging, which to me implies it`s damaging to the engine. They deny it`s damaging to the crankshaft at least, or primary drive case/bearing though I forget if asked them that but they implied it`s hard on nothing and is why they recommend it, but owners consider it lugging (damaging) to the engine. Unless by `lugging` owners just feel it doesn`t run well but is not damaging.

Last edited by LastHalf; 06-24-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 AM
CWO USN
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2500 RPM is my norm. Not to mention that air-cooled engines perform well in higher RPMs due to improved oil circulations hence better cooling and lubrication.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 AM
LastHalf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dakotared
The shift pattern I listed keeps me above 2300 at all times, and generally closer to 2500.
That shift pattern of shifting to 6th at 60 mph though gives 2150-2200 rpm for me (not closer to 2500 rpm than 2300 rpm so say 2400 rpm).....but I heard 09`s and later have different ratios including for 6th which is now lower to cruise more comfortably - i.e. not lugging or damaging anything - at 60 mph. So maybe the 09 and later bikes rev about 3000 rpm higher in 6th than mine does. They must have changed ratios for a reason and I think that`s it. It may be proof right there that they knew there was a problem with the pre-09 ratios. Maybe that`s what Harley Canada`s tech meant when he said 6th at 100 kph won`t hurt the crank etc....he was talking 09 and up. Though I was pretty sure I said I had an 08 unless it didn`t sink in to her head or she forgot to pass it on to the tech(s).

Old 06-24-2012, 08:52 AM
LastHalf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CWO USN
2500 RPM is my norm. Not to mention that air-cooled engines perform well in higher RPMs due to improved oil circulations hence better cooling and lubrication.
It just seems a bit contrary to the stereotype about big torquey (even air cooled) v-twins. I thought their strength and therefore the riding style would encourage low revs. To a point I suppose and 2500 rpm IS relatively low. Anyway yes that`s what I`m doing now (2500 rpm vs 2200 rpm before my huge engine failure).

Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
I find with the 6 speed (at least on my Ultra), the engine feedback is much more subtle and I have to pay a bit more attention to the tach. or I will find myself overgeared. On my TC88 with the 5 speed (Dyna) I can feel the engine constantly and never even look at my tach anymore. Having said that, I don't use 6th under 70 mph and I ALWAYS downshift before rolling on the throttle in 6th regardless of my speed. I just don't think 6th is for anything but steady cruising above 70 mph.
Thats what I do also. Unless Im going over 70 for an extended time I just leave it in 5th, theres plenty of power still there and its not winding out. I dont have a tach so I really dont know my exact RPM. What RPM is everyone running at 70mph in 6th gear as well as 60mph in 5th can anyone tell me?
Ive got my timing retarded -1 beginning at 2250rpm to asist with previous pinging issues but from the rpm to mph numbers everyone is stating, It sounds like I need to reconfigure my timing adjustment
ranges.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by DooZ
I wish more people would think like this. I don't know how many times I've heard people bitch about the early am or late night azzhat that feels the need to rattle the windows.

Anything below 2000, the bike feels like a slug when you give 'er a twist.
Its common courtesy and consideration of other people. Sadly common courtesy is going by the way of the dinosour and is a personal choice. Course if people would teach their proginy to be considerate that would be nice, and that too is woefully lacking.....sign of the times.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:42 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LastHalf
That shift pattern of shifting to 6th at 60 mph though gives 2150-2200 rpm for me (not closer to 2500 rpm than 2300 rpm so say 2400 rpm).....but I heard 09`s and later have different ratios including for 6th which is now lower to cruise more comfortably - i.e. not lugging or damaging anything - at 60 mph. So maybe the 09 and later bikes rev about 3000 rpm higher in 6th than mine does. They must have changed ratios for a reason and I think that`s it. It may be proof right there that they knew there was a problem with the pre-09 ratios. Maybe that`s what Harley Canada`s tech meant when he said 6th at 100 kph won`t hurt the crank etc....he was talking 09 and up. Though I was pretty sure I said I had an 08 unless it didn`t sink in to her head or she forgot to pass it on to the tech(s).
Shifting into 6th at 60 and twisting the throttle in 6th at 60 are two different things. Nice flat road, 60MPH in 6th should see no problem, but at a steady speed. Need to climb a rise, pass a car, etc., downshift before you roll the throttle. It's really a matter of understanding your bike and what it is capable of. If ever in doubt, go with the 2500 or greater RPM rule, if no tach and in doubt, downshift.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:55 AM
bubbacraft
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gasman7003
This is my first Harley ('09 ElectraGlide). A lot of people have told me "don't lug it." My question, "What RPM is considered lugging?" I've got the six speed tranny. Been trying to keep it between 2,000 and 2,500. Any "recommendamdations"!
Shift between 25 and 3. Cost along between 2 and 25

Quick Reply: "lugging"