Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade-In or Sell ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Fathead2003
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade-In or Sell ????

Okay I have decided I want a new bike but not sure how to part with my existing. Will I loose the value of all I have added to the bike on a trade? I have some non Harley stuff. Would it be best to remove all the extra's and sell and trade as close to stock.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealership will probably **** you off.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:53 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I would take all my aftermarket parts off before the trade unless the dealer asked for the parts. Typically the add on parts do not change the value on trade.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:54 PM
maduxfn31
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to sell it on your own,dealer wont give you a thing for add ons and they will give you owest price possible

Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 PM
thecort
Road Captain

Trade in will give you less but should be quicker & less painful (dealer does the work)
Selling it outside will, 9 times out of 10, get you more $, but may take a while & may be a slight hassle dealing with idiots (DMV included).

If you go with trading it in, take off as many aftermarket items as you can because the dealer will just pull out his/her NADA book & tell yout the bike is worth $xxxx. They don't care that you have $xxxx into it. They'll just give you the book value, maybe a little more.
You can sell the aftermarket parts you took off to help make up some of the difference between book value & outside party value.

Provided you're not going to lose too much (only you know what is too much for you), trading it in isn't that bad of a deal.

Another factor is if you owe money on the bike.

If you owe money & your "upside-down" (owing more than the bike is worth) then that won't be good because that will make your payment higher than it really should be.

If you own it outright then you'll have to determine what you're willing to, realistically, accept for the bike.

I owned my last bike when i traded it in & took $1,500 less than I wanted because I new I could make up some $ selling some parts. That's just me though. Good luck to you.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:50 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fathead2003
Okay I have decided I want a new bike but not sure how to part with my existing. Will I loose the value of all I have added to the bike on a trade? I have some non Harley stuff. Would it be best to remove all the extra's and sell and trade as close to stock.
When I traded in my '08 RK for '10 Limited, dealer told me to take off everything I had put on that I wanted to keep, also took Highway pegs off and visors and put them on new ride no charge. That said, popular wisdom is you'll probably get more for your bike if you sell it on your own, especially if you come across someone who likes and appreciates what you've done to it!

Old 09-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Goodwrench1967
Intermediate

Well for what its worth, I just traded this weekend. I owed 15600 on my old bike (08 ultra with 19000 miles and about $1000 worth of chrome goodies) and after a half of a day of barganing and arguing and all the other BS that you go through I got 17500 for my bike on a new 2010 road king classic at full msrp. What it all comes down to is the cash difference between the two. but if you figure the sales tax I saved I would have had to sell my bike for more than $19,000 to make it worth it. Deals are out there but you have to work for them. your bike is only worth what your willing to take for it. good luck!

Old 09-06-2010, 02:00 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I am sure you are aware of this, but here tis. You must negotiate the cash price of your new bike before presenting your trade in. Otherwise you won't actually know what you are giving or getting for value.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:02 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

In this market, even a stock bike on trade in - You are going to loose big time - just the facts of life... IF you choose to leave all your extra stuff ON the bike - kiss it all goodbye. The dealers really do NOT want your trade in - take a look around at the dealers - they are flooded with bikes - trying to sell on the open market - ya you may/will get more but it can be real PIA.

so, with all this good advice here - lol... sorry, its just todays facts.

If You WANT a new bike and can take the hit - do a trade and move on... its only money and life is short..

I would also like a new bike but my 04 has become a good friend and there is Nothing wrong with it...

Since Ca is about to pass a new exhaust law on any new bike sold on/after 2013 - I may look into a new bike just because of the ABS set up..

Old 09-06-2010, 02:06 PM
bigalv63
Tourer

I have my bike for sale but so far no one calling....so I will probably trade for a new one as it has been ordered....the 2011 RK Merlot and Vivid Black with hard bags, 103 stage 2 and other goodies.....the above comments are true in that the dealer told me they wanted my bike stock. and YES....I will take the big HIT but I want a new one.....that's my story.....and stickin to it.....so I will take off my add ons ....which is about 1000 bucks ....and see what I can do with them....maybe put 'em on the coffee table....LOL>...bigal v

Quick Reply: Trade-In or Sell ????