Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control drama

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006 | 02:16 AM
GMONEY220
|
Road Warrior
Default Cruise control drama

Ok first off i did the thread search and my problem wasn't addressed directly.(you smart azzes)Anyway,when trying to engage the cruise,it takes about half a minute to engage and then sometimes it drops right back off!HD techie said it takes from 5 to 30 seconds to engage,which sounds like horse **** to me!!!!The lash ini. test worked only one time after installed and it wont complete the test anymore per the manual.
How long does it take for your cruise to engage?On the RKC's?
The glides i believe have a different style.
Thanx for any info bros....G-mo

Old 09-09-2006 | 02:23 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Cruise control drama

Your cruise SHOULD engage as soon as you initialize the switch.....

The modules are the same for all of the FLH/T line...

The difference is in the switch's and housings......

I would disconnect the module, reconnect and check lash again....

What codes did it bring up (if any?).....

Old 09-09-2006 | 04:04 AM
jmxp
Tourer

Mine engages as soon as I press set/resume. They're feeding you a line of crap.

Old 09-09-2006 | 09:47 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: GMONEY220...Anyway,when trying to engage the cruise,it takes about half a minute to engage and then sometimes it drops right back off!HD techie said it takes from 5 to 30 seconds to engage,which sounds like horse **** to me!!!! The lash ini. test worked only one time after installed and it wont complete the test anymore per the manual. How long does it take for your cruise to engage? On the RKC's?...The glides i believe have a different style....
Should engage immediately....The HD Tech is wrong. But then again.....Naw won't go there, like I posted on another thread: For every Shovelhead Bob there are ten Door **** Dans.

The 'loaner' 2005 RK that I had from Orlando HD had cruise, it engaged immediately.

You should be able to run the initialization test repeatedly. I ran the test numerous times when I installed cruise on my 93 FLHS.

My cruise engages as soon as I hit the 'Set' switch. Works fabulous!

The 'black box' is the same for the Electra Glide Family (at least it was for mine, and it's actually manufactured by Delphi) The MoCo made changes over the years to the specs. My FLHS never had a cruise control option available. Yet, the 'kit' that HD offered to convert the Electra Glide Classic worked with only minor (very minor) modification on my Electra Glide Sport.

Old 09-09-2006 | 12:33 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

You might have someone follow you to see if the brake lights come on when you try to engage or when it drops out. Could be a sticking rear brake switch. Mine did the same thing for 700 miles, then cleared up by itself. HD shop foreman said it sounded like a brake switch, but couldn't tell, since it cleared on its own.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/F22483CB885C474EBF068DF72528B20C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-09-2006 | 01:31 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

Definitely tryin' to feed you a line Bro.

On my 05 RK Classic the factory Cruise engaged with just a 1/2 second delay and surge.

On my current SG the Cruise was installed by the dealer and engages even more quickly.

Sounds like time to switch mechanics.

Don't know the fix but here's hoping you get it resolved quickly.

Primo

Old 09-09-2006 | 03:43 PM
GreighWolf
Road Captain

Put about 500 miles on my King the last two days. Cruise picks up within 2 seconds of hitting the set switch. (using the "hold the throttle, hit the switch, and hold 'em there for a sec. method"). Picks up as soon as the indicator lamp turns green.

Old 09-09-2006 | 04:06 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

yeah, 30 seconds to engage, I would have laughed in his face and asked for someone who know what they were talking about.

I know you said you have a RKC, but just wanted to add that the technology for a quick engage does exist and they use it on the RG.

Old 09-09-2006 | 04:26 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: GMONEY220

Ok first off i did the thread search and my problem wasn't addressed directly.(you smart azzes)Anyway,when trying to engage the cruise,it takes about half a minute to engage and then sometimes it drops right back off!HD techie said it takes from 5 to 30 seconds to engage,which sounds like horse **** to me!!!!The lash ini. test worked only one time after installed and it wont complete the test anymore per the manual.
How long does it take for your cruise to engage?On the RKC's?
The glides i believe have a different style.
Thanx for any info bros....G-mo

I have to head to LVHD today, I am driving but seeing what you are doing today

Old 09-09-2006 | 06:01 PM
Zap
Club Member

Cruise control drama
Not sure of what you need but here's the Initialization sequence.

Cruise Control Cable Lash Initialization
For Harley Touring Models

1.) With the Ignition off, push the right cruise switch to RESUME and hold it there.

2.) Push the left cruise on/off button to ON.

3.) Turn on the ignition switch and start the engine. The GREEN ENGAGED light will illuminate
for three seconds and go out. When it goes out, release the RESUME switch.

4.) With the bike still running, push the right cruise switch to RESUME again and hold it
while the unit pulls in the slack in the cable. When the engine revs up a bit and the green
light goes out again, release the RESUME button and turn the ignition switch off.

Quick Reply: Cruise control drama